Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 PM

981 posts, read 1,615,569 times

Advertisements

Downtown is exactly where this development should have taken place. Better yet, any development that we have going forward should be focused on good jobs that generate real wealth like manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 PM

973 posts, read 1,448,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Better yet, any development that we have going forward should be focused on good jobs that generate real wealth like manufacturing.
This part I absolutely agree. Enough of the Call Centers, Healthcare and Restaurant jobs. Lets build and make things.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM

100 posts, read 352,515 times
So this whole project baffles me the way it has happened. First its a huge deal and they lose out on Bass Pro and others. second Mr Taylor is paying out of pocket for a 15 mil grading permit for what? Nothing at this point. Now as i drove by today they have ran electrical and appear to be putting a a digital sign. So what are they going to put on the sign " Coming Soon" We dont know!! Either this guy has way to much money or he knows something we dont. I dont see a smart business man as he is doing something that is not profitable. Does anybody else have any ideas as to what is going on there? The sign is nice too has Tri citis Crossing at the top with digital sign underneath with spaces for 3 "anchor" stores or attractions underneath the digital part.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:48 PM

34,882 posts, read 30,982,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvols21 View Post
So this whole project baffles me the way it has happened. First its a huge deal and they lose out on Bass Pro and others. second Mr Taylor is paying out of pocket for a 15 mil grading permit for what? Nothing at this point. Now as i drove by today they have ran electrical and appear to be putting a a digital sign. So what are they going to put on the sign " Coming Soon" We dont know!! Either this guy has way to much money or he knows something we dont. I dont see a smart business man as he is doing something that is not profitable. Does anybody else have any ideas as to what is going on there? The sign is nice too has Tri citis Crossing at the top with digital sign underneath with spaces for 3 "anchor" stores or attractions underneath the digital part.
I think the plan was to compete with the Bristol developments but now that those are actually moving, I have no idea what's going to be left for this development.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:01 PM

22 posts, read 30,681 times
We need a Trader Joe's.
And a Trader Joe's.
Did I mention Trader Joe's?
That would bring me out shopping like crazy.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:29 PM

100 posts, read 352,515 times
I agree i think this was suppose to be what is in bristol now. I think the only thing that would sustain now in yhis location would be a tanger outlet type center with some anchors including trader joes, costco or something else that is not in the tri cities now. It doesnt help that yhe pinnacle is only 13 miles away in bristol

Old 12-04-2014, 06:54 PM

712 posts, read 1,481,330 times
From the outside looking in, what you have appears to be a very stubborn developer who thinks that he has a premium location when he does not. And the market is letting him know that.

But that is the way it works sometimes. Developers take risks, and make profits. Those who do not have the money or will to take the risks are often very quick to complain about the profits made by business people.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:13 PM

19 posts, read 40,051 times
I think people are confused on what would come here - trader joes would not come here - there isn't one in Memphis ,( this is MUCH larger) the demographics are not here. The population here is lower to middle class at best - why would you think things in Jackson Tn are not here - Red Robin , TGI Fridays they had Moes years before us the demographic in surrounding areas is much better than ours. Jackson has factories and factories in surrounding areas that pays much better than call centers - If Ron Ramsey has so much power - why does he care so much about wine in grocery stores vs . getting decent wages up here ?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:44 AM

677 posts, read 1,065,773 times
Quote:
I think people are confused on what would come here - trader joes would not come here - there isn't one in Memphis ,( this is MUCH larger) the demographics are not here. The population here is lower to middle class at best - why would you think things in Jackson Tn are not here - Red Robin , TGI Fridays they had Moes years before us the demographic in surrounding areas is much better than ours. Jackson has factories and factories in surrounding areas that pays much better than call centers - If Ron Ramsey has so much power - why does he care so much about wine in grocery stores vs . getting decent wages up here ?
I have to strongly disagree with this. Earth Fare and Fresh Market have been in Johnson City for several years and are very successful. Trader Joe's targets a similar demographic and is actually less expensive than these stores. There is no reason why they wouldn't locate here. I think the performance of the soon-to-open Aldi (owned by the same company) may have a say in whether or not Trader Joe's comes here. There is a pretty strong movement on Facebook as well to get them to look at the area.

Also, Johnson City and Jackson are the same size and Johnson City's income measurements are higher than Jackson's across the board so that argument doesn't hold much weight.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,783,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKYLEE123 View Post
Jackson has a lower household income than both JC & Kingsport. And while Memphis doesn't have a Trader Joe's, Asheville & Greenville do and their income profiles are similar to those of JC & Kingsport. I think a Trader Joe's at Tri-Cities Crossing would do very well, but I'd be surprised if Mr. Taylor & Thalhimer (his business recruiter) can entice them to build there.

FWIW, though, Trader Joe's and Aldi are owned by sister companies (Aldi Nord & Aldi Süd, respectively).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol