Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,414 times

Advertisements

New Kingsport retail development to create regional jobs

New Kingsport retail development to create regional jobs | TriCities.com

This is supposed to be built at the I-81 and I-26 area.

My question is why more Retail? This area needs more solid jobs that pay more than minimum wage. How may more Retailers have to close up shop before they see that.

Then there is the location. Would that really be a good location? Are they hoping for people to really flock there from Bristol, JC and Kingsport due to the location?

Personally, I think it will become more of a Dead Duck than a Golden Goose for Kingsport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,355,887 times
It seems like a good idea to me. We'll have to see though. If they have good anchor stores then I have no doubt it will be popular. I wish a Cheesecake Factory would open up there or in Knoxville.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
I think this is a very old school type development. I'm really disappointed that this was permitted through. More huge big-box stores sitting in seas of asphalt. Yawn, boring, and really, at the intersection of I-26 and I-81? Looks like Kingsport and Johnson City are completing their urban sprawl to form one big tangled mess along I-26/Kingsport Highway.

I am definitely not excited.... even the name, Heritage Point Towne Center? This isn't at the center of any town. And what is Heritage Point? Blah.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 AM

712 posts, read 1,486,957 times
I do not mind the location from an urban sprawl perspective (I would rather see this type of development than retail focused in the center of a city). But I think it is a stupid location from a marketing perspective and even worse timing.

There are many people who live in either JC or Kingsport who rarely venture out to the other city and are not typically in this area. Much of the traffic would be long distance travelers who are less interested in retail. If I had a business, I would never locate there.

More importantly, there is excess retail space in each of the tri cities. We cant fill the space we have, why are we building this much more?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,030 times
I hope it happens. It would be a major vote of confidence for our area. It's the type of thing you put in corporate relocation packages.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 AM

712 posts, read 1,486,957 times
Only if it fills up. Nobody is putting it into a relocation package if it is empty like Hamilton Place or many of the other strip mall retail in JC.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 AM

Going to drive by the location today. Got to look at a place in JC. Looks like we are finally moving out of Kpt.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
Only if it fills up. Nobody is putting it into a relocation package if it is empty like Hamilton Place or many of the other strip mall retail in JC.
True, but this location would seem much better than even Exit 7; I think it's a winner. But I really hope they have some firm commitments before they start buying bricks.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Here's a more detailed article: Massive Shopping Center Planned for I-81/I-26 Junction - Scott Robertson - Tri-Cities Business Journal (http://bjournal.villagesoup.com/news/story/massive-shopping-center-planned-for-i-81-i-26-junction/182718 - broken link)

And a release from the City of Kingsport: Developer planning

Old 11-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Just got back from JC. We got the place and shall be moving.

The site that I think they are going to build on... man, thats going to be some work there. As one of those links states, it will be at least 3 years before the shops can open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol