Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:41 AM

423 posts, read 1,404,482 times

Advertisements

Maranda, where is Appalachin for snowboarding? where is it located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Here is some "official" info....

Tri-Cities climate normals and records

NWS has Tri-Cities in an average snowfall of 15 inches per year, but during the most recent years, it has been nowhere near that. Also, they have us in an average of 13 days per year at 90° or above.... puh huh, this year was really an exception... we had like what, 55 days above 90° @ the airport? I think I had about 75 days above 90° recorded here at my house. @ the airport, everyday except 4 had highs 90° or higher.

Also keep in mind that snows here are very short lived and rarely on the ground for more than a couple of days.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 AM

57 posts, read 153,435 times
Appalachin is near Blowing Rock. Where do you usually snowboard. I'm not really great with the names of the Roads over in that area. So if you tell me where you board, I might be able to direct you from there.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
The official average is 15 inches, but we rarely see that much.

Those averages you mention are correct, but we often see 90°+ in the summer... we saw like 45+ days of 90+ this past summer and at my house in Bristol, we had three 100°+ days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWalshPA View Post
I've checked climate info through "Sperlings Best Places" site. They list average annual snowfall for Johnson City through Greenville as only 4".
When I check it at Ask.com site they give 18". Which one is more acurate?
Average January low temp is listed at 26 and average high July temp was 85.
Do these sound right to you?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 PM

94 posts, read 386,123 times
Default humid?

Hello., How is the humidity in the JC area?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmom View Post
Hello., How is the humidity in the JC area?
Hello,
Depends on the day, time of day and your personal definition of "humid". I personally can't stand it when it gets to hot and humid. There are only a few weeks worth of combined time in July and August (about now) when I feel it gets to humid. Now my folks, they feel every little slight breeze and say "the breeze cools it down so nice". I laugh and wonder where the mystery breeze is that only they can feel. (they refuse to get AC instaled in their house )
But honestly, it does not seem to last but a few days or so when it does get humid, which it does. Compared to FL though, not much at all. Compared to AZ, it can get very humid for quite a while.
Does that make any sense at all???

Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM

94 posts, read 386,123 times
Smile Air you there ?

Thanks for the reply (daughter was ill so was off the pc)
Actually, during the 'monsoon' weather here (in AZ) (ie July-August) it gets humid, believe it or not, (like now) But I'm sure not like the east.
It's a bit tough though, when the sun heats up everything prior to the storms that break in the
afternoons.
One other question for you if you dont mind ... do you all (yawl) have air quality alerts? Seeing you are in a valley situation, does the air settle (you were commenting about no breezes) and make it sometimes unhealthy? Thanks!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmom View Post
Thanks for the reply (daughter was ill so was off the pc)
Actually, during the 'monsoon' weather here (in AZ) (ie July-August) it gets humid, believe it or not, (like now) But I'm sure not like the east.
It's a bit tough though, when the sun heats up everything prior to the storms that break in the
afternoons.
One other question for you if you dont mind ... do you all (yawl) have air quality alerts? Seeing you are in a valley situation, does the air settle (you were commenting about no breezes) and make it sometimes unhealthy? Thanks!
We do not have "air quality" alerts but in the spring we do have "allergy" alerts and pollen counts are aired on the news. If you or your family have allergies to things such as tree pollens, you may want to visit in the spring to see if you are effected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol