Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2006, 11:19 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,928,308 times

Advertisements

We're going to be back in the Tri-City area beginning in November. In trying to get an idea of what we'll be looking for, I've been running housing searches on the "realtor" MLS-linked website. What I'm finding is disappointing me.

I've been running queries in the 500K and under range. The vast majority of what I'm finding is coming with small lot sizes ranging from .25 to .5 acre in some kind of neighborhood with community pools, club house, etc. That's really what I do not want. If I want a swimming pool and to entertain guests, I'll build my own pool and decorate a rumpus room.

I'm definately not interested in any communial environment with little, uh, frustrated, uh, neo-Hit..., uh, let's just say nosey people sticking their nose into my residential life. It's not that I'm doing anything funny with my property, quite the contrary. I keep a nice, tidy, well landscaped home. I just find seeking the approval of a neighborhood committee un-American and nearly communistic. It's not for me.

Furthermore, association fees that can be raised by people for their pet projects, living behind gates, and paying for communal green space or golf courses just doesn't interest me in any way whatsoever. For me, if I have to lock people out of my neighborhood for fear of what they may do or to massage my ego, or require communal space because the neighborhood properties are too small, I'm living in the wrong area. Those are some of the reasons I want nothing to do with the properties and communities I've identified in my internet searches.

That brings me to my question. Aren't there any nice, safe, areas that haven't been taken over by the CC&R people? We're just looking for a well built quality house in the country, 2200-3000 sq/ft, 0-10 years old, hopefully somewhat forested, on acerage ranging from 2-6 acres or so, without the need to get into a communal bed with the neghbors. Is it the price range that I'm running that's inappropriate for what I'm seeking? Perhaps what I'm seeking just costs a lot more.

Perhaps there's just nothing being built, or for sale, that's not in the restricted neighborhoods. Have all the developers bought the land up for their communal restricted communities and all they're building is small-lot homes in the Tri-City area?

Another thought is that the area has been invaded by the CC&R-type people from elsewhere and they're changing things to the way they were done in their old states rather than adapting to their new community. What do you think?

At this point I'm a little disappointed, although I understand that I'm just getting a very limited view of the housing market. Thaks for any help that you can offer.

BTW, one last question. Have the housing prices begun to decline in the area like it has in some other markets in the country? I understand the historical appreciation rate has been much lower than in the hot markets, but I'm wondering if the current major market price declines have begun to keep people from selling and transferring their assets into Tri-City housing, thereby pushing Tri-City prices downward.

Thanks again.

Last edited by garth; 09-13-2006 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 11:59 PM

408 posts, read 1,973,104 times
Do you have a particular area in the tri-cities you are looking for? Or are you still just looking in general trying to pin point an area? Is there anything you need to be near, like something work related or anything? I'm looking through my newspaper to see what it has. If I see anything interesting, I'll pm you.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:57 AM

359 posts, read 1,631,187 times
Suggestion: do a search in google, using the following words: bob vila, real estate, johnson city (or whatever city you are searching). Click on the first real link (not the ads in light blue).

Search for places from $100,000 to $250,000 ... after checking those out, then change your price range. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,255,606 times
I agree with Granny! I think you are looking to high. You really can get more for your money here. To answer your last question, housing values are on the rise here, last statistic I heard from NETAR was 5% a year average in the Tri-Cities in equity increase a year. It is projected to go up to 7% next year. Check your email.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:48 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,928,308 times
Thanks guys,

insanesmooch- I appreciate your offer, but please don't go out of your way. If you just happen to run across something, I would appreciate your PM. However, it's still some time before we arrive and we have yet to get a good feel for the area. Thanks again!

BTW, we don't have a particular area. It's pretty much open. If I needed to put a limit on it, perhaps 30 minutes to any of the major cities but not within the city limits of the three big towns.

The country life has its appeal to us and we don't want any chance of being annexed into a city. If there's a chance of annexation, we're too close.

Work is also a non-issue for a variety of issues that include the fact we're both retired. Instead, crime rate is more important to us. As such, the cities are out since we don't want to deal with the problems associated with them as evidenced by the stats.

Thanks again!

GrannyLois & mbmouse- Thanks for the referral and stats. I'll take a look and check my email. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol