Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:14 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,095 times

Advertisements

Well the first casualty " Ireson's Pub" closed its doors for good because of the new smoking laws last week. Ireson's well known for showcasing many talented local bands and one of this years sponsors in the "Chainsaw Circus" that featured over 40 bands, will be missed by its youth that frequented it.
The recent loss of jobs from many establishments that were hurt by the new laws along with the recent announcment from King pharmaceuticals that it will be letting 20% of its workforce go in Dec will not help Bristol Tennessee's floundering economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 AM

57 posts, read 153,449 times
I actually still work in the restaurant business as a waitress. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the non-smoking law. I hated to go into work and come out smelling like an ashtray! And with my experience with smokers, they really didn't take into consideration that their server may not smoke. I don't know how many times I had smoke blown into my face! Even while I was pregnant. And alot of people don't know that even when you leave the restaurant, the second hand smoke stays on your skin and in your clothes and hair for up to 45 minutes. So, if you go home to your kids, you are also exposing them to the effects unless you shower immediately. Business has slowed down for us slightly but I think that once people get use to the idea, then it will pick up. It's not like restaurants are the only places that you can't smoke. You haven't been able to smoke in Malls, grocery stores, libraries, hospitals, schools, ect. for years. And, I really hope that it helps people quit smoking. Both of my grandparents died of lung cancer from smoking.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:32 PM

365 posts, read 1,010,090 times
Default A ok with me!

From someone actually considering a retirement move to the tri-cities area in few years, I couldn't be happier reading about the no smoking news! I probably would not have considered a move there if it weren't the positive change. Wisconsin, where I live now also passed a no smoking ban ahwile ago, which like most other places caused noise in the beginning about the concern for lost business. As time moves on, it all quiets down & it's business as usual, but w/o the stinky smoke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol