Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM

11 posts, read 24,185 times

Advertisements

I lived in San Diego for 29 years and just moved here in June. It is a culture shock! The cost of living is great but this summers humidity has been tough on me. As for things to do, it's nothing compared to California. Lots of outdoor things but you really need a boat during the summer. We live in Kingsport and we often take drives to north Carolina to get to more populated cities. If you are looking for a laid back lifestyle this is it. Your neighbors will be so nosy though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:18 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I had started a thread about posibbly retiring to JC in 15 years or so. But this thread has brought up a few issues. We are from Maryland and are considered "northerners" in the south. We also do not go to church and dare I say it, I am atheist.

So I gotta ask, seeing as we know NOBODY in the area do you anticipate us having trouble fitting in? I don't want to be like an American in Japan, where everyone is nice to your face but there is a clear "we like you but you will never be one of us" feel to the place. Woud Ashville be a better option?

I also love Thai food. Guess I'll be out of luck huh?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 10,375 times
My husband and I are young retirees (59 and 61 yrs). I am a native of Tucson, AZ and he is a native of Palo Alto, CA. We had planned to retire to East TN for the last 10 years after coming to the area in 2001 to do some genealogy research. We fell in love with the area and the people. We were retired as of Jan 2011 and bought a home in the Colonial Heights area of Kingsport and moved here in April 2011. We LOVE it here. We have NO regrets. We have a daughter and son-in-law who also relocated here a couple of months ago because the economy in Tucson is so poor. My SIL is a general contractor and they were losing everything in Tucson; could not complete with the flood of illegals willing to work for so little. He came here after lining up a decent paying job and they also have no regrets. Our money goes a lot further here than it did in Tucson. Housing is much more affordable - utilities are also. We love the community spirit and although we are older and more easily amused, we find the so many things to do here if you want to get out and just have some fun. The scenery is spectacular; we enjoy the weather here with the change of seasons but most of all, we just enjoy all our interactions with the people here. Just wanted to share because I know I read this board for so long before we moved and it was always so nice to see positive experiences.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 PM

239 posts, read 520,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
Wow, lots of Californians looking to Tennessee to relocate. I guess the Oregon Land Rush is over...
California is very expensive especially for young people starting out and for retirees. The job market is horrible and in larger cities where there are some jobs, the housing is out of site. So, places like Tennessee start to look pretty good. Also, it's a pretty place with weather that is far from being the worst in the country.

In our experience, which was limited, the people were incredibly nice to us. We were passing through on our way to North Carolina when my husband became very ill. We were there for about a week and everyone was so nice and helpful we will never forget the experience. Because of this and because of the low cost of living, Tennessee is one of the places on our short list to relocate to.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:25 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Dave, you may feel more comfortable in Knoxville.

Plus a local dining directory indicates 7 restaurants serve Thai food.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Dave, you may feel more comfortable in Knoxville.

Plus a local dining directory indicates 7 restaurants serve Thai food.

Thanks. I actually lived in Knoxville as a kid. But when you move at 2 and stopped visiting by the time you are 8 I'm thinking you can't really claim it. No doubt Knoxville will have more food alternatives but we want to stay close to the east (7 1/2 hrs from Maryland, bigger mountains, smaller towns etc) so if that means no Thai food so be it.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
There is this chain in JC.

TOMY THAI - home

You also have Earthfare which is excellent, or Fresh Market.

Authentic chinese (not buffets) like you are probably familiar with, is a problem, but there is a small place I think in Elizabethton.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
There is this chain in JC.

TOMY THAI - home

You also have Earthfare which is excellent, or Fresh Market.

Authentic chinese (not buffets) like you are probably familiar with, is a problem, but there is a small place I think in Elizabethton.

Get out, there's Thai food in JC? Guess a place to buy Chespeake Bay steamed crabs would be out of the question, huh?

As for Chinese food, are you saying regular old Chinese carryouts are lacking? That's surprising for sure seening as 95% of all Chinese restaurants in America have the exact same items on their menus and for the most part they all taste about the same. In other words I'm not that picky. But it's stunning that there aren't a few to get easy carry out, every tiny town I"ve ever seen has at least one.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
I just spent the last two days exploring the area. JC to me feels like about 2/3 the size of Asheville. It's a fully fledged small city with all the usual chain stores and fast asian food. (I think I saw a Terayaki sign somewhere.) It's just 90 mins from Knoxville, so someone with a bigger city craving can scratch the itch periodically.

Apartments may be disappointing though. Most are old, two story townhouse-rowhouse style, with bleak landscaping and no carports or garages. There isn't the "breadth" of rentals that you find in a bigger city.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Greene's Seafood Restaurant - Bristol | Urbanspoon
Also a seafood market.
I don't know about your steamed crabs, but I've heard they have a lot of variety. Might be worth a call to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol