Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,098,260 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else have storm damage from this weekends storms? We had a terrible and I mean a terrible storm in Bristol!!

That was the worst storm I think I have ever been in. The winds were so strong and the lightning was incredible. I didnt post again last night because we lost the internet when lightning hit the house and fried the router. The lights went out a few times, lightning seemed to have hit the house once, it threw breakers and blew out light bulbs, fried the router to the internet, tree limb hit the roof, wind ripped some of the roof off of the kitchen area, rain water poured into the kitchen, trees branches down in the driveway and up and down our road, but other than that all is well. lol. That was the worst storm I have ever seen in my life I think. The lightning was striking all around the house.

Dont want to see any of those again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM

973 posts, read 1,446,979 times
Where I was at, just some rain and a nice light show. Not even hail.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 PM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
No damage (that I've noticed), other than the power being out for however long.
It sure did come up awful fast. Scrambled to get the computer shut down and unplugged before the lightening got too close. Man that was something to watch. Had the dishes rattling in the cupboards too.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM

7,500 posts, read 17,105,101 times
Here in Afton (107 Hwy) the storm was intense. No hail, but very strong winds that whipped the rain and sooo much lightning! Sometimes it looked just like daylight outside, even though it was quite late.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,926,383 times
I assume that doesn't happen very offen?! Doesn't sound like fun. So many places are having crazy weather! Is some areas in the Tri City area worse for this type of weather?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:53 PM

745 posts, read 2,200,441 times
It doesn't seem like weather like that hits very often but it was just about a year ago in May that all the talk was about tornadoes and the damage they caused.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:47 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,595,856 times
Thunderstorms like this (heavy rain/hail/lightening) happen a lot. I find them fun to watch.

Tornadoes, however, are very, very rare.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 PM

7,500 posts, read 17,105,101 times
I've never seen a storm like that. Heavy summer thunderstorms are common, but the lightning associated with this storm front was very intense.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 PM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I assume that doesn't happen very offen?! Doesn't sound like fun. So many places are having crazy weather! Is some areas in the Tri City area worse for this type of weather?
A finished basement is a good place to hide out during storms if you don't like them. It's what my daughter and the animals do.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 PM

13 posts, read 37,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Thunderstorms like this (heavy rain/hail/lightening) happen a lot. I find them fun to watch.

Tornadoes, however, are very, very rare.
True, tornadoes are actually rare everywhere. Even in tornado alley, the actual chance of getting hit by a tornado is extremely slim. However, I just never understood why so many people thought tornadoes didn’t happen in East Tennessee before the April outbreak last year. The historical data never supported that claim. There have been many tornadoes in Northeast Tennessee since that data has been recorded. But like you said, you could still consider their occurrences very rare in the grand scheme of things.

These latest storms were driven by the incredible heat that we experienced. The lightning show was unbelievable with those storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol