U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-19-2012, 01:17 PM

648 posts, read 1,246,512 times
The new sign went up today. It looks like it will be a "PriceLe$$ Foods." I couldn't find much about them online but the facebook page on Priceless Foods Etown has a picture of one in Elizabethtown, KY and it is still owned by Houchens Industries. The orange color scheme and sign itself reminds me a lot of Bottom Dollar Food, the small, discount, limited selection chain owned by Food Lion.
Attached Thumbnails
IGA Grocery Store Closing-priceless-foods.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM

76 posts, read 80,405 times
For those interested...

Price LE$$ Foods brings deals, jobs

Unread 06-29-2012, 07:56 AM

5,620 posts, read 2,089,179 times
My wife checked it out. She said the prices were low on some items and high on others.

Unread 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM

199 posts, read 116,472 times
I went to the Price Le$$ Foods yesterday and found somethings were priced low and others priced higher than larger chains like Kroger. I believe if you buy the store brand you will see real savings. The meat looked pretty good - good price on pork loin and chicken breasts. Dissappointed though that there is no deli. They have a spot reserved called "The Beer Cave". I will add that all of the employees were very nice and helpful. A wonderful change from some grocery stores. I am sure that Price Le$$ will meet the needs of many.

Unread 06-30-2012, 05:42 AM

648 posts, read 1,246,512 times
I was able to try it out earlier this week and I do hope the store does well because the old IGA was always empty and I'd hate to see another empty storefront. The general appearance of the store was improved with the new color scheme. But I got the same impression, they had a few good deals but were higher than other stores on other items. Prices on even store brands seemed no better than the 'Valutime' brand at Food City. I thought the meat was actually pretty low grade and very limited in selection. All the beef I saw was choice grade and no pre-trimmed chicken, much less marinated meats. Produce was better than the old IGA but still grocery store quality. No pharmacy but the CVS is next door. I got my hopes up too high with the beer cave. Before I moved here beer caves were large rooms with a wide variety of exotic beers. I was hoping it would be twice the size it looks to be. No organic food selection. Driving by it almost daily it has looked busy but I worry about the store once the newness wears off because it fills the same niche as the IGA as a place to get a good deal on a few things but a poor overall selection and quality where it would be difficult to get everything you need for the week. It's also settled next to a really nice Food City which I'll be going to again this coming week as I drive by the store. But I'm also sure shoppers like myself aren't the target of the store and hopefully the store can attract some of the former Food Lion shoppers from downtown and do pretty good as they will market heavy on price.

Unread 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM

199 posts, read 116,472 times
I agree totally with you Trevor92. The overall look of the store has improved, but down deep, I believe it will serve the same group as the old IGA. Johnson City does has Fresh Market and some new stores, so not all is lost. I just wish them the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol