Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 AM

393 posts, read 1,876,112 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know I have been all over the place with my research but I have yet to find the place that I find comfortable relocating too. This is the thing. I am looking to retire soon, but for now still need employment, and looking for a place that I can just come in and find a place to rent for $400/month, can be a studio and check out the city for an affordable small fixer upper for $80,000......Yep I think I am dreaming here. Is there a place in TN or KY? These seem to be the more inexpensive states to live w/o going into a morbidly hot summer, or unbelievably frigid winters. These places tend to be affordable. Also the places in the middle of nowhere! So finding this place would have to be a college town, or have a pretty prosperous area to find work, but at the same time be inexpensive enough that I can just find a house that I can afford to just spend the rest of my life in. I am alone, no children so no worries of schools mainly just of renting w/o employment until I can find something whether it be full time or part time until I can retire fully. Thanks in advance for anyone with ideas! I am open to TN, and KY areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 AM

383 posts, read 914,402 times
check out craigslist in areas of interest. for example, there were two 1 bd apts. for $425 in kingsport. 80k should buy you a decent place in any of the cities around here...small home, townhouse, etc.

also you can place ads for free on craigslist telling people what you're looking for...

Old 10-06-2007, 04:47 PM

69 posts, read 253,019 times
Default Also Want to Rent W/O a Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Hi, I know I have been all over the place with my research but I have yet to find the place that I find comfortable relocating too. This is the thing. I am looking to retire soon, but for now still need employment, and looking for a place that I can just come in and find a place to rent for $400/month, can be a studio and check out the city for an affordable small fixer upper for $80,000......Yep I think I am dreaming here. Is there a place in TN or KY? These seem to be the more inexpensive states to live w/o going into a morbidly hot summer, or unbelievably frigid winters. These places tend to be affordable. Also the places in the middle of nowhere! So finding this place would have to be a college town, or have a pretty prosperous area to find work, but at the same time be inexpensive enough that I can just find a house that I can afford to just spend the rest of my life in. I am alone, no children so no worries of schools mainly just of renting w/o employment until I can find something whether it be full time or part time until I can retire fully. Thanks in advance for anyone with ideas! I am open to TN, and KY areas.
Hi Sillygal, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm currently in MI and will not be moving to the Tri-Cities before next Summer, but I also expect to be needing a temporary home (Apartment) and will not be employed when I arrive. I too am semi-retired but will want and need to work for awhile - or maybe longer because I've worked my entire life and I don't know if I'm going to adapt well to full-time retirement.

I don't know yet how this will work, but I plan to contact several apartment communities a couple of months before I plan to move. If I have to, because I'll be without a job, I plan to offer to pay 6 months rent up front. I can't imagine that they'd refuse.

I'll drive down to the area again in early Spring and narrow down the area I want to live and talk to apartment managers at that time and fill out apps, etc.

I have no children either and few ties, maybe we should stay in touch and get together for coffee when we've finally made it to the Tri-Cities. Good luck to you!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,173 times
Bristol has reasonable rent but from what I understand Johnson city has more employment check out the newspapers, KP and JC can be found at US Newspapers - US Newspaper List under TN as for Bristol Paper you have to go to Home - TriCities.com You'll find very little on C-list but Career Builder is worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol