Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,044 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I'm a doc, single, 38, moving to the area and will be working in Bristol and Kingsport. I'd like to live in Johnson City. I'm coming from MS and I've read all the hoopla with singles and the Tri-Cities area being a terrible place to live but I've been working part time up there for over a year and I've become quite fond of life up there along with the people. Does anybody have any recommendations for places to live in Johnson City? I'm not looking for anything extravagant and have quite a bit of loans to pay off as medicine was a second career for me and I'll probably be paying Uncle Sam to my grave, but just want a decent place with some reasonable access to other singles in the area though I understand that there's not much of a night life. That doesn't bother me as I'm more comfortable in the city sizes of the Tri-Cities area than I ever was in Seattle, NYC or a few other big cities I've lived in. I'm just not much of a big city person. I'd like ready access to the outdoors as I love to get lost in the woods. I enjoy being near water, woods, but not too far from the city, but just far enough from neighbors. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to the move. I've lived all over and as many complaints about the area as I've read, I tend to take it with a grain of salt as you find something to hate about virtually everywhere you live and learn to miss something about virtually every place you've moved away from. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM

8,077 posts, read 10,010,127 times
Buy, or rent?

Following I-26 through the North end of town, pick a side.....towards Jonesborough on the left; Gray on the right.

Water? Mountains? You have to decide.

Hook up with a good realtor and they will give you the 'tour' in a couple of days, plus look at every imaginable housing price and style.

Don't try to wing it over the internet.

Southwest/southeast part of town, which doesn't suit your commute, is probably less interesting, but closer to the mountains.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 19,948 times
Finding a place to live in JC can be tough because landlords rarely utilize online resources and rental agencies don't maintain databases of available properties. Property owners also don't hesitate to discriminate based on family status, age, etc. No one seems to care that it is illegal.

I chose to rent in the Tree Streets so I would have an easy commute to work by bike on foot in bad weather. I'm also close to I-26 if I want to leave town. Groceries are outrageous and the stores here are terrible. Utilities also cost more than anywhere else I have lived. However, I pay $200 less per month in rent that in my previous city, and insurance is significantly less expensive. The Haven at Knob Creek is a large, professionally managed complex, but they frequently run a waiting list and the rent is very high for the area. We just don't have many large, professionally managed apartment complexes in this region. You can find cheap if that is what you're looking for, although the owner will probably live in Florida and not fix anything unless he/she absolutely must.

True, there isn't much of a city life here or much of anything for singles. You'll have to really work at finding a social circle, but there are a number of us single professionals in the area. For inexpensive places within walking distance of "downtown," I would check out the Tree Streets and Gump Addition. Anything else probably requires driving. Don't worry about avoiding the big city - we don't have that problem here!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 AM

23 posts, read 42,879 times
Welcome to the area, Doc!

My husband & I recently moved here 3 weeks ago from FL. It really is a great place, and since you're into the great outdoors, you will find a lot of places to "get lost" in! I agree with Ted Bear about finding a realtor. They will know the area well, and be able to direct you to a place that will fit you best. Even if you just want to rent awhile, they can also help with that. The areas I like may not be the type of place you're looking for, and vice-versa.

Johnson City has a lot more shopping choices than the other areas nearby (Kroger, Ingles, Food City, Wal-Mart, etc.), and it all depends on what you're buying as to where to find the best prices. You can always check the online ads to see what's on sale, too.

The area also has some good medical clinics & hospitals! Though, I tend to think they're a little behind the times with their HIPAA compliance.

All in all, I think you're going to enjoy working & living here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol