U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 PM

192 posts, read 139,326 times
Default Can you bring alcohol into Elizabethton?

How dry is Elizabethton and the surrounding areas. I want to move there, but want to know if I can buy it in Johnson City and bring it home in Elizabethton. I read Johnson City is partially dry. So is that wine, or just beer? What about restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 AM

349 posts, read 491,513 times
It was my impression that Elizabethton was anything but dry. It does appear that they just did pass a referendum to allow retail package stores. Tennessee is peculiar in that state law only allows retail wine sales in licensed package store (no sales in grocery stores, Sams, Cosco, etc.). Here a few relevant links:

Council backs rules for city liquor sales - Elizabethton Star

http://www.elizabethton.org/governme...izabetht-8.pdf

Liquor Referendums See Sweeping Success in NE Tennessee | WJHL.com

Ordinance on Elizabethton liquor store regulations passes first reading

Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 PM

2,447 posts, read 1,085,098 times
I was at Lone Star steakhouse in Elizabethton and ordered beer a few months ago. I had no trouble. I believe wine and mixed drinks with liquor were also on the menu, but I am not for sure. I have ordered beer and mixed drinks with liquor numerous times at bars in Johnson City. I doubt I have ordered wine because I hardly drink it, but I know it is available in JC.

The worst thing about the laws regarding wine and liquor being sold only in dedicated package stores is that it raises prices on these items substantially. It does not curtail their use or abuse. Food City is going to provide a hell of a lot better pricing on wine/liquor than Billy Bob's package, but the state government has the package business in its back pocket.

I doubt bringing your own booze into Elizabethton for consumption at your own home is illegal. You may want to contact Carter County Sheriff's Office for clarification. Even if it is, is anyone going to bother you if you came from Johnson City with booze in your car? I highly, highly doubt it. You might be technically running afoul of the law if bringing in booze from other areas is banned in Elizabethton/Carter County, but I'd give it a zero chance of being enforced unless you did something else to aggravate the law.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 AM

1,246 posts, read 570,600 times
I'm glad this was brought up. Is it true that the taxes on alcohol are very high in TN, specifically that area? And even thought it is probably illegal is it common to drive to NC to stock up?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,125,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm glad this was brought up. Is it true that the taxes on alcohol are very high in TN, specifically that area? And even thought it is probably illegal is it common to drive to NC to stock up?
Alcohol is cheaper across the VA state line than NC imho. Having said that, it isn't a big enough price difference to make up for the cost of gas. Only if I am buying a special, expensive item or cases of wine for gifts would I ever make the effort to price shop in a different state. I have never heard of anyone driving to NC for alcohol but I suppose it happens.

Some of the nicer liquor stores offer 10% off days or special promotions.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM

66 posts, read 115,140 times
I live in Elizabethton and so far the wine police has not knocked on my door. Lol! That was one of the arguments for allowing the sale of liquor here because people would go to the liquor stores just outside of Elizabethton. There are two on South Roan just outside of Elizabethton. I would have never thought that it would be illegal to buy from outside the county or stage unless, I suppose you buy in bulk and intend to sell.

As far as tax is concerned, I find taxes are high on just about everything here. But as Beretta wrote, unless you are buying a high quantity it's not worth the time or cost to go out of state.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 PM

5,351 posts, read 8,612,082 times
I don't think Johnson City is partially dry. At least, not in any way that I know of. Liquor stores, liquor by the drink. Only thing is, as others have mentioned, grocery stores can't sell wine or liquor in Tennessee. Maybe that does make it partially dry.

Lots and lots and lots of people in that area enjoy a few drinks. Some people have "moral issues" with having liquor stores in their area. It's not something you're going to be hassled over.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM

192 posts, read 139,326 times
oh okay. well that doesnt sound too bad. thank you all for responding!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM

118 posts, read 91,475 times
NC taxes are higher, we travel to TN to get liquor and gas.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:15 AM

6 posts, read 8,049 times
The liquor and wine will be higher in elizbethton ----they have a higher sales tax rate and the new stores will not have the large customer base to buy the big deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol