Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 PM

34,892 posts, read 30,997,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
As compared with the most recent statistic of 3.65 for the incoming class of 2014.

How many of these 46 are coming in on some sort of financial assistance (lord, please don't tell me that they are full scholarship athletes) for the achievements which they made in high school?
A 3.65 average at ETSU is outrageous. The school isn't attracting that level of legitimate academic talent with or without the program.

If they have above a 3.0 and are a TN resident, I think they can come on the lottery scholarship. That will, foot most of the bill and an athletic scholarship could fill the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:32 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,017,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
Listen, I am not going to get negative anymore on this thread. Im sorry if you want to argue every little thing that might be positive about the program. Thats on you.
Ummm....I think you brought it up. I was just pointing out the facts.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 AM

712 posts, read 1,481,697 times
No, you distort the facts just as you have this entire thread- The average incoming freshman GPA is 3.2 according to:
ETSU Admissions

Its completely legit to debate the merits of anything regarding a state institution, as taxpayers help support it. There are so many reasonable grounds to disagree on. But nobody should distort the nature of a job posting, or make false statements regarding the average GPA, etc. to make your point.

Since football is a reality, everyone (even those who disagree with the decision) should be happy that we have a coach who brings in quality, college ready students, requires a 2 hour study hall each day, treats the families of these kids with class (look up the story of his recruitment of Cody Cornelious), etc. He will be the same type of coach as the women's basketball coach (recent JC Press article that shows all of the character building and life skills that she focuses on).

Again, these kids will be an asset to this region. I would be a huge critic if the football team or any athletic program brought in students who could not excel in the classroom. But ETSU athletes overall have a better GPA than non-students (and no, they do not get passed just because they are athletes).

The debate on whether to bring it back was a healthy one to have. That debate is over. Now that it is back, lets celebrate when things are done the right way and most importantly, get behind the students who will represent this school, this area, and will help this area's economy in the years to come.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM

2014 Entering Class Statistics as of 01/15/14

Application Status In-State
Out of State
Total Applications Received64314352078Applications Terminated/Withdrawn34013911731Applications In Process17227199Interviews completed to date13517152On Hold for Further Consideration671178Acceptances Offered to Date68674Current Accepted64670Incoming Class Average GPA BCPM3.60All Other3.74
Total

Statistics of Entering Classes

Of the admitted students thus far, the football team members seem to be at the low end of the spectrum. If I have distorted the facts, it is not intentional. Yes, the sample size is small, and we don't know if it is a good statistical sample. But we do know that incoming students below 3.0, as are a portion of the incoming football players, is low. My point was I hope they are not getting 'scholarships' for that level of academic qualification.

And no, the 'discussion' is not over. As long as my tax dollars are being used to fund a sports program, I have a say in the matter. Just because the train has left the station, it is not too late to understand how much this program will cost over the years, and how poorly it might reflect on the University.

They were onto a good thing; ahead of the curve (for perhaps the wrong reasons), but in the years to come, you will likely see other schools abandon these programs for academic, cost, safety, and reputation reasons.

I know what these programs cost, and I know the progression: We don't win because we can't recruit. We can't recruit because we don't have the right facilities, We don't have the right facilities because they are VERY costly. And so it begins. Ten, fifteen, twenty million dollars later the decision needs to be revisited...do we really want to go down this road for little to no reward to the University?

We agree to disagree. But don't get nasty about it when someone suggests it may not be the best thing for the University. Run an intramural program if you want football and fund it out of existing student fees just like every other club. I am sure it will create enjoyment and pleasure for the athletes and the fans alike.

But for gods sake, after having 'done the right thing' don't backtrack on that decision. Move along, and appreciate that you are free of the quagmire that is division one college football.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM

712 posts, read 1,481,697 times
Do you realize that you just cited the ETSU college of medicine's statistics for incoming freshman? Of course that is going to be very high.

Every in-state student above a 3.0 high school GPA will get a HOPE scholarship. The remaining will get an academic scholarship, which is funded through donations from people like me instead of taxpayers like you. That seems fair to me.

I am not getting nasty with you- I am trying very hard to rise above that and have a reasonable discussion. We don't have to agree. But again, just don't give false or misleading info.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Explains the disparity. Thank you for correcting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol