Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:10 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
There is starting to be an economic separation between Bristol/Kingsport and Johnson City. Eastman is undertaking a large expansion of their headquarters in Kingsport but other than that, things are not looking great. Bristol is relying heavily on The Pinnacle retail development but retail as an economic development tool rarely pans out. It has a very low "bang for the buck". Plus, I still think the MSHA/Wellmont merger will hurt Kingsport and Bristol in the long run.

Johnson City hasn't had any blockbuster economic development deals lately but I feel the area is on a steady incline. There continues to be a large amount of investment in downtown, both public and private, that I feel will result in a large-scale investment downtown (i.e. hotel, corporate relocation) in the future. Not to mention the quality of life improvements that are important when recruiting business.

ETSU is also finally asserting itself as an economic driver for Johnson City. The soon to be built performing arts center, the move to a more residential university, and the major role the university will play in the new MSHA/Wellmont organization make the future look very bright for the area.
Times are good in Kingsport if you are an Eastman employee. Keyword there - employee. I know when I went to my orientation for all onsite personnel probably two-thirds of the people there were contractors. I was a contractor and feel I was way underpaid. It is what it is, but not everyone who works at Eastman works for Eastman and is going well.

Also agreed Bristol is relying too much on retail, but they seem to be doing better than Kingsport overall.

Johnson City seems to be consistently improving in small doses now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 03:49 AM

195 posts, read 275,618 times
[quote=jchometeam;29700713]CiCi's was crappy pizza in an area with too many pizza places. Burger King is being replaced by a new fast food chain. Atlanta Bread built and then a better version of the same thing opened right across State of Franklin. I see that as healthy free market myself.

/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. When the economy gets tight for the middle class such as ours has it takes a toll on businesses that cater to that segment. The strong survive, the not-so-strong don't make it. The contradiction to this is the Kingsport area has been killing sale tax collections until March when it has the highest percentage year-over-year decline in the state. Still, I think the core issue is we're evolving into a two-tiered economy. The folks catering to the lower market (Aldi's, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Dollar General Market etc) seem to be doing well. The same goes for those catering to the higher end of the economy. The crunch is in the middle.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
[quote=Page2;39413412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
CiCi's was crappy pizza in an area with too many pizza places. Burger King is being replaced by a new fast food chain. Atlanta Bread built and then a better version of the same thing opened right across State of Franklin. I see that as healthy free market myself.

Couldn't agree more. When the economy gets tight for the middle class such as ours has it takes a toll on businesses that cater to that segment. The strong survive, the not-so-strong don't make it. The contradiction to this is the Kingsport area has been killing sale tax collections until March when it has the highest percentage year-over-year decline in the state. Still, I think the core issue is we're evolving into a two-tiered economy. The folks catering to the lower market (Aldi's, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Dollar General Market etc) seem to be doing well. The same goes for those catering to the higher end of the economy. The crunch is in the middle.
This problem is going on everywhere, but I think the problem is particularly acute in the Tri-Cities. Most of the people I know back home are really struggling financially, but maybe 10%-20% of the people in the Tri-Cities are doing quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol