U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 AM

546 posts, read 678,943 times
I love Jonesborough- but I moved from there to Johnson City because the Jonesborough that I originally moved to is changing quickly. With the only large developer in town as the mayor, it is being developed too quickly for my tastes. Soon, there will be no difference between Johnson City and Jonesborough. But the downtown is nice and is not going to change. Same thing is true of Gray to some extent.

I personally like the Telford, Sulphur Springs, Unicoi, Piney Flats type settings. I hardly ever agree with Emigrations but I do agree that it all of these places will be suitable depending on where your job is and how far you want to drive.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM

6,994 posts, read 14,139,095 times
Well said! Another thing I am not sure if was mentioned already that the OP was asking was taxes... Virginia has lower sales tax and the largest bordering VA city to the Tri-Cities is Bristol. Like Emi said, Bristol now has the best historic downtown, it is booming and many more developments underway not only there, but all across the city. Don't discount Bristol just because it is the lowest populated (by very little), lol. With Bristol TN-VA combined, I think it is nearing that of KPT and JC. Also mentioned, the TN side of Bristol is really sad now with really not much on the Parkway - a Cootie Browns has been announced however right near the state line down from the VW dealer. There is a new big development underway however on the west side of town near the hospital across from I-81, where a Bass Pro Shops is going in, as well as a huge shopping center.

To the OP - Hope your move is a smooth and safe one! I was born/raised here, so that is why I am here. Personally, I am ready for a change, but sadly can't move and if I did, I would probably want to move back, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was born and raised here, so I didn't necessarily "choose" it, but did come back last year for family reasons. It was a big financial mistake.

Yes, property taxes are reasonable and there is no state income tax. If you make a lot of money, you'll come out like a bandit here. However, most of the area is very low income, and low income people tend to spend a higher percentage of their money on basic goods like food, clothes, medicine, etc - that's where the nearly 10% sales tax really hurts. However, we're close enough to VA to offer some relief on the sales taxes. I'd think if you could make 40k each, you could live about as well here as anywhere else.

There is a lot of talk about "family values" in this area, but I don't see much of it from all the crime on the news. Drug and domestic crime are the order of the day. Contrary to what some may say, this is a very high crime area by any objective study. There are still plenty of areas close outside the city limits that are fine, but don't get too far out in the country.

Good schools are partly a function of property taxes. If you don't want to put much in, you won't get much back. I'll leave it at that, but the city schools tend to be decent. I graduated from Central in Sullivan County almost ten years ago, and if it wasn't for a handful of really hardworking teachers, I'd have been a mess.

Kingsport is by far the worst of the Tri-Cities these days. It's been left behind on what little development we've had, and the place stinks to high heaven between Eastman and Domtar.

Bristol has the best downtown and there is a lot of development on the VA side and along the TN side of the interstate. I personally really like Stateline Bar and am up there a few times a week. The "old" side of Bristol, TN along Volunteer Parkway is a total disaster, with lots of closed up buildings, and what's left are mostly liquor stores, pawn shops, payday lenders, and head shops.

It really depends on where you get a job. I wouldn't move here without one and there are plenty of better places to move to. Western NC may cost a little more, but in my opinion, it's a little less trashy and a little prettier.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol