Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 PM

11 posts, read 24,623 times

Advertisements

My family is possibly relocating to the Tri-Cities area , and my husband is specifically interested in Kingsport, because of the proximity to Eastman. We've not been to Kingsport, but everyone we know who has visited the area said "GO!"

Most likely, my husband would move earlier than the rest of us, for home selling/school year/tying up loose ends purposes, so we'd have a little time to explore neighborhoods before committing to something. We have two children who would be in SpEd classes, and we know they'd be at Andrew Johnson for those services. I did a little digging and found school zoning information, so I was able to track down the housing areas for that school. However, we're not specifically limiting ourselves to that school zone.

I had a few questions about housing:

1. Are there any developments/neighborhoods that are stagnant as far as selling goes? Or losing value despite newer age? (We've always purchased homes with good bones that needed cosmetic updates, then sold at a significantly higher price, so resale is important to us.)

2. I'm a sucker for homes built pre-1950, but there don't seem to be many on the market in Kingsport. Are there older neighborhoods I should avoid looking at (e.g. there's a house on Sullivan, but there seems to be a drastic difference between the homes on one side of the street and the other) or keep an eye out for houses to pop up?

3. Are all the houses within city limits on city electric/water/sewage/garbage?

If it helps, we need at least a 4-bedroom house for our family of seven, and our budget is most likely around the $200K point, maybe a tad higher.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 AM

35,070 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplusfive View Post
My family is possibly relocating to the Tri-Cities area , and my husband is specifically interested in Kingsport, because of the proximity to Eastman. We've not been to Kingsport, but everyone we know who has visited the area said "GO!"

Most likely, my husband would move earlier than the rest of us, for home selling/school year/tying up loose ends purposes, so we'd have a little time to explore neighborhoods before committing to something. We have two children who would be in SpEd classes, and we know they'd be at Andrew Johnson for those services. I did a little digging and found school zoning information, so I was able to track down the housing areas for that school. However, we're not specifically limiting ourselves to that school zone.

I had a few questions about housing:

1. Are there any developments/neighborhoods that are stagnant as far as selling goes? Or losing value despite newer age? (We've always purchased homes with good bones that needed cosmetic updates, then sold at a significantly higher price, so resale is important to us.)

2. I'm a sucker for homes built pre-1950, but there don't seem to be many on the market in Kingsport. Are there older neighborhoods I should avoid looking at (e.g. there's a house on Sullivan, but there seems to be a drastic difference between the homes on one side of the street and the other) or keep an eye out for houses to pop up?

3. Are all the houses within city limits on city electric/water/sewage/garbage?

If it helps, we need at least a 4-bedroom house for our family of seven, and our budget is most likely around the $200K point, maybe a tad higher.

Thanks so much!
I would not move to Kingsport unless I had no other offer elsewhere. I am from here, relocated back to the area from Iowa, and it has been probably the worst mistake of my life financially.

Where are you relocating from? Salaries are quite a bit lower than most anywhere else in the country. I am making about half to two thirds of what I should be making, even in areas with a similar cost of living. Yes, the cost of living is low, but you get what you pay for. Even if he gets a job at Eastman, the regional economy is back in decline as the national economy picks up. If something were to happen to his job, it is likely you will be relocating again. There really is no meaningful work here. Please read prior threads on these boards to get a better idea.

You can probably find a house OUTSIDE the city limits in your budget to meet your needs, but it may need some work. However, that also makes enrolling in the city schools tougher. Housing stock within the traditional city of Kingsport is mostly older and smaller. Homes within the traditional city limits should be on the services. If it is annexed in some far flung location (and there is some strip annexation), it may not have services. Within the city limits, you have the "Kingsport smell." Kingsport also has the second highest rate of combined violent and property crime rate in the state behind Memphis.

I would call Kingsport as a whole stagnant. There isn't much in the way of new jobs, new businesses, or new people coming in, except for retirees and some retail development. Johnson City and Bristol are doing a bit better. Kingsport is now way behind the other cities in development. It's not a good place to live at all.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 AM

My husband is employed by Eastman now, at another location, so the move will only happen if he's hired for a position there first. (I'm not the brave we'll-figure-it-out-when-we-get-there type!) We live in Virginia, in a city with the highest unemployment in the state, the lowest cost of living, and crimes related to domestic issues and drugs, mainly. So, what you're describing isn't unfamiliar to me. We've just been careful to make wise moves into homes and neighborhoods that wouldn't likely be affected by overall trends. So far, so good, and we're going on 10 years here, after relocating from the booming Triad area in NC.

We've lived in rural areas and now live in the city, and I need and want to be close to everything, so I'm not interested in outlying areas. I've looked at north JC, and like the looks of that area, as well. I haven't spoken with anyone regarding schools that would provide SpEd services in JC, though.

Without being there in person, I just don't know how close to everything both areas are. A "quick trip" to Target is half an hour to the next city, and nicer restaurants are an hour away. Other, more frequent stops, like taking my kids to the library or going to the gym, are 5 minute drives. Overall proximity to everything is a high priority for me.

I hope that additional info helps, and thank you for responding!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplusfive View Post
We've lived in rural areas and now live in the city, and I need and want to be close to everything, so I'm not interested in outlying areas. I've looked at north JC, and like the looks of that area, as well. I haven't spoken with anyone regarding schools that would provide SpEd services in JC, though.

Without being there in person, I just don't know how close to everything both areas are. A "quick trip" to Target is half an hour to the next city, and nicer restaurants are an hour away. Other, more frequent stops, like taking my kids to the library or going to the gym, are 5 minute drives. Overall proximity to everything is a high priority for me.

I hope that additional info helps, and thank you for responding!
The Sevier Terrace neighborhood (e.g. streets like Sharondale Ave, Walnut Ave, Morison Ave & Fairmont Ave) might be a good option for your family if you can find the right house, and the Green Acres neighborhood around Andrew Johnson ES is quite nice. Both areas are very safe & established neighborhoods with sidewalks, large trees and homes built mostly in the '50s and '60s. Green Acres, however, is close to Eastman so you're more likely to get the odors from the plant. Anywhere outside about a 1-mile radius of Eastman, you're much less likely to smell anything noxious.

Both neighborhoods provide easy & quick access to downtown Kingsport, Target, Walmart & tons of restaurants.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:57 AM

195 posts, read 275,564 times
Here are some links that can help point your to data sources that will help you with answers:

Pulse of the economy
Tri-Cities economy pulse – Nov. 2013

MTSU Employment heat charts
Nov. Kingsport-Bristol, Johnson City MSA job sector winners and losers

Move to Kingsport current report
http://development.kingsporttn.gov/f..._2Q_FY2014.pdf

Jan. National Home Builders Leading (economy and housing) Markets Index
Johnson City Leading Market Index drops but still in top 10 – Kingsport-Bristol up by one

Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,308 times
This is the 3rd time we've been transferred to Kingsport with Eastman. Kpt is a lovely middle-sized town. There are several city neighborhoods each w/ a different personality. Get a good realtor who knows the town & spend several days w/ her touring the city....don't rush. Each housing area will have pros/cons. Lots of parks & green space.... new aquatic center. The comment about smells from Eastman is much less factual than it was years ago...very little odor now. You won't have trouble finding a neighborhood which meets your needs. City schools are very highly rated by the state. People are friendly...get involved in a church or school activities. Would recommend Greenacres, older area of Ridgefields, Sevier Terrace...these neighborhoods will have young kids...hard to suggest w/o knowing your budget. I would avoid Sullivan St. location....there will soon be a large # of apartments built on that street where it's mostly vacant now ex. for old shopping center which is almost empty. An experience realtor will be able to suggest many good locations.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 PM

Thanks, all! Page 2, those links were quite helpful, thank you. Kamoshika, I've looked for homes in the neighborhoods you suggested, and most are 3 bedroom, but I'm keeping an eye out. BJ John, while I've been looking at homes/neighborhoods/schools, my husband has been looking into churches. Ours here is one that will be hard to leave, but he's found a couple of churches we'd visit as soon as possible after moving. As far as our budget for a home, we won't know exactly until we know the salary of the position there. We're thinking low $200s. I've been looking at Johnson City, as well. I really appreciate your specific recommendations against certain areas; it's hard to tell which homes are in transitional areas or just bad areas.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 AM

Can anyone advise on the Highland Ave. area and W Holston Ave. areas in Johnson City? Thank you!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:58 PM

56 posts, read 135,168 times
Highland Avenue had some good sized older homes but several rentals also. I'd stay away.
Holston Avenue is touch and go, some blocks are nice and some are pretty run down.
I'd look in North JC. There are a couple nicer subdivisions off Carroll Creek Road, just north of the State of Franklin exit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol