U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 PM

16 posts, read 19,831 times

Advertisements

little bit of a stretch to say Kingsport is rapidly growing as mentioned in the online petition. Rapidly annexing land... yes.

Best spot for a Costco would be in JC somewhere around Boones Creek. More population and more folks with higher incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM

199 posts, read 271,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandYellow View Post
little bit of a stretch to say Kingsport is rapidly growing as mentioned in the online petition. Rapidly annexing land... yes.

Best spot for a Costco would be in JC somewhere around Boones Creek. More population and more folks with higher incomes.
The median income for JC vs Kingsport is roughly the same with JC only being slightly higher. JC and Bristol already have a warehouse Club with Sam's being in both locations. Since Kingsport lost Sam's Club to JC and Bristol a number of years ago. Kingsport could use a Costco more than JC or Bristol. There is still some untapped good land in Kingsport for a Costco as well and I've heard rumors of Heritage Point getting a Costco although that complex won't be completed for another 5-10 years. Plus its not set in stone that complex will have a Costco or pan out as well as promised. So I'd like to show some interest for them now and at other locations with a sooner opening date.

An alternate good location believe it or not would be Gate City/Weber City right over the border in Kingsport. Costco would be allowed to sell wine right over the border and have the cheaper 5%/2.5% sales tax in Virginia. Kingsport/Church Hill residents etc.... would be within a very short drive to this location. Scott County would also GREATLY benefit from having such a large retail company coming to town especially since Gate City/Weber City have so little but being so close to Kingsport and the more less strict laws on wine sales plus the much cheaper tax would be nice for Costco as well as their shoppers.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:50 PM

4,341 posts, read 1,999,877 times
Who wants to drive to Gate City or Weber City for Costco? Anyone who wants the lower taxes can just as easily find items elsewhere. The land behind the Kingsport Best Buy and out to the edge of that shopping center is the best place to put it.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 AM

76 posts, read 97,439 times
How well did this pan out four and a half years ago? Show your support for Costco coming to Kingsport!

Few people that I know outside of Sullivan County prefer to do their shopping in Kingsport. I do not foresee Costco changing their tone.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,985 times
Yes why in the world would anyone want to locate a business in Kingsport??? (Post dripping with sarcasm)

Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM

199 posts, read 271,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattjohns View Post
How well did this pan out four and a half years ago? Show your support for Costco coming to Kingsport!

Few people that I know outside of Sullivan County prefer to do their shopping in Kingsport. I do not foresee Costco changing their tone.
I highly disagree with that considering I work in retail and I see customers from KY and rural areas of VA travel fairly often if a place is only 1-2 hours away to go shopping if they really like a store. I use to visit Knoxville quite often many years ago back when Kingsport and even JC lacked much retail. BTW I never started a petition or anything official with that previous post.

Retailers do like to see interest from a community and support. That guy in Knoxville collected over 5,000 signatures on his petition and was even featured in some news articles down there. I really believe he helped push Knoxville into getting a Costco and that Kingsport residents can do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Who wants to drive to Gate City or Weber City for Costco? Anyone who wants the lower taxes can just as easily find items elsewhere. The land behind the Kingsport Best Buy and out to the edge of that shopping center is the best place to put it.
The Pavilion would have been a good place but honestly there isn't enough room in that location now for a Costco. Not unless phase two is built out which I've heard nothing about another phase starting although there was one planned but I believe that has been scraped for now. I disagree about Gate City/Weber City being a bad spot though its only 10-15 minutes from that location and as I said you'd save on tax and have wine sales allowed. This has actually been why Costco has had a slow presence into building in TN. Believe it or not but wine has been a big seller at Costco and is one of their highest profit areas. Since you can't sell wine in TN stores due to law they haven't pushed into TN as much.

The Costco in the Chatanooga, TN area actually is right over the border in GA and from what I heard Costco planned it that way because since that area is also right on the border. They moved over slightly in GA so they could sell wine in the store. I actually happen to have a Sam's Club membership and I'm right out of Kingsport. JC and Bristol are about the same distance for me but I chose to go to the Bristol one. My main reason is the cheaper tax with food being 2.5% in VA and everything else 5% vs shopping at the JC Sam's with 8% food and 9.5% on everything else. Also I do occasionally pick up a bottle of wine which I can do in Bristol but not in JC.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-06-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 AM

76 posts, read 97,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinkpt View Post
Yes why in the world would anyone want to locate a business in Kingsport??? (Post dripping with sarcasm)
I did not raise that question. I merely offered the viewpoint that, in my experience, Kingsport is not preferred as the "tri-city" of choice. I do not speak for all residents, nor do I qualify myself as an expert. I offer this only in the spirit of the online message boards: to exchange different viewpoints.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,256,546 times
If the TriCities Crossing development pans out, that is where Costco should locate. Otherwise I don't see them making the investment.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM

12,403 posts, read 11,799,704 times
Crossville needs a Costco

Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM

13,660 posts, read 7,135,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Crossville needs a Costco
That would be great....right in the old Food Lion building....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol