Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 PM

62 posts, read 410,364 times

Advertisements

I have wooded acreage in Butler, TN and I'm currently living in KY. I was talking to a customer (I work in a restaurant) about how I wished I could move and live on my land in TN but that I need to save up more money to be able to afford having electricity brought to my property (as well as having to drill for water)

This man told me to look into having an *ag drop* *(agricultural drop) I had never heard of that and asked more about it. He said that if you live in a rural area, talk to the electric company about having electricity brought to your rural property for discounted fees, sometimes free.

Couldn't really talk long with this man. but it got me thinking. So I'm writing this to ask if anyone has ever heard of this and if they've ever had an *ag drop* done??

thank you

KC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Broadly speaking, and your provider will differ, this may be what he was talking about:

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf...nts/058087.pdf

It looks like the elec utility brings in overhead power as far as your agricultural based electric requirement. From there it is up to you. Looks like the overhead doesn't cost, but.......

I am sure someone here will know about it.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 PM

510 posts, read 1,387,375 times
I looked though all the related information I could find on Mountain Electric Coop's websites but saw nothing related to "agricultural drops" or perhaps called "agricultural extensions".

Do you have any guess at the distance the service primary line will have to be extended to where a transformer will set to provide your service. It appears that MEC will provide extension to 500 feet before you have to start funding the further distance.

From MEC guidelines:

New Homes

• Rebates up to $400 are available under the Residential New Homes Program. Ask for details and requirements.

Individual Residential line Extension (
Underground Service)

• Mountain Electric will supply first 500 feet of primary cable, supply the transformer, and take ownership/maintenance after inspection and approval.
  • Developer will support the cost of primary cable in excess of 500 feet, ditching, conduit, transformer pad , secondary line, and dwelling service.
  • Rebate cash of $450 cash will be paid for each all-electric attachment and $250 cash for each all-electric (less primary heat) attachment.
    • See previous restrictions and requirements.

Individual Residential Line Extension (
Overhead Service)

• Mountain Electric will supply the first pole free.
  • Developer will pay $900 per primary pole for poles #2-4, $1800 per primary pole for pole #5-10, $500 for secondary poles, and $200 for service pole.
  • Rebate cash will be available at $900 for ea. All-electric attachment and $500 for each all- electric (less primary heat) attachment.
    • Please note previous restrictions and requirements.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:02 PM

62 posts, read 410,364 times
thank you both for your response & the information. I did know the distance but in the last year some folks built their cabin down the trail from me which has lessened the distance for me to a pole which obviously is a good thing

thanks again

KC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol