Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
When you count the "greater commuting area," what I'd call from Greene County, TN to at least Washington County VA (maybe Smyth, Russell, and definitely Scott County) I'd say you get to at least a half million, if not between 600k-700k.

The area doesn't function as one - the cities compete, not cooperate. Look at all the hullabaloo from the Bass Pro/Cabela's things as well as the retail ones.

Even though the area is not super small, it functions as a series of small towns rather than a cohesive metro.
Emigrations, I don't think the census has ever counted the tri-cities metropolitan region as exceeding the 500k mark (until maybe very recently). I am fairly positive the counties included in the census count include Greene as well. I'd say the area won't reach 600-700k until the mid to late 2020s....it is beginning to grow fairly quickly, with all the retirement folks coming and those relocating down from economically depressed regions like Michigan, Ohio, upstate NY and parts of PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 01:31 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Emigrations, I don't think the census has ever counted the tri-cities metropolitan region as exceeding the 500k mark (until maybe very recently). I am fairly positive the counties included in the census count include Greene as well. I'd say the area won't reach 600-700k until the mid to late 2020s....it is beginning to grow fairly quickly, with all the retirement folks coming and those relocating down from economically depressed regions like Michigan, Ohio, upstate NY and parts of PA.
It probably hit 500k in the last census. All I found on Wikipedia was stuff from 2000. Still, people in pretty remote counties like Wise County, VA and Lee County, VA will probably use the Tri-Cities for "big shopping." There is nothing in those counties and the Tri is still the closest option. I know a couple of people who live in Smyth County but commute to Bristol. When you count the sphere of influence, the Tri-Cities can be the destination for quite a few more people than is picked up by the official CSA.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:30 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
The official Census designations:

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/econ...M200US304M.pdf

Johnson City MSA: Washington, Carter, Unicoi
Kingsport-Bristol-Bristol MSA: Hawkins, Sullivan, Scott (VA), Washington (VA)
Tri Cities, TN/VA CSA (Combined Statistical Area): The Johnson City MSA and the Kingsport-Bristol-Bristol MSA.

The total population of the CSA (2012 5-Year Census Estimate) was 507,557.

Greene County constitutes the Greeneville mSA (micropolitan statistical area) and has never been included in the Census designations of the Tri-Cities area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol