Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 6,854 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Tri-Cities for a couple years now and since moving here, while my husband is employed, I have nothing and I don't really get it. What I would like is for a local person to explain this to me because I just don't get it.

I came into this area with over 12 years experience in my career field. I have both a bachelors and a masters degree. I have impeccable references and skills, yet I am unemployed. As a matter of fact, in the last month alone I have applied for 30 some odd jobs and the only interview I got was cancelled the day before because they hired someone else before even giving me a chance.

I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder if I am over qualified yet I'm more than willing to take an entry-level position just so I have something but no one will give me a chance. I don't understand. While my husband works, since moving here our and my unemployment, our savings have disappeared. Our kids are being limited in the opportunities available to them because we cannot afford them. With only one household income we can't make it. I'm trying daily to find work but no one, not McDonald's, not call centers, no business will look twice at me. If I could move out of the area, I would in a heartbeat but we no longer have the funds to leave. Even with my husband's income we are barely scraping by living pay check to pay check. My family has no medical insurance (we applied for Obama Care and were told we qualified for TennCare but never heard anymore). My husband wants us to apply for Food Stamps and assistance but I feel like a hypocrite with my level of education and the fact I truly want to work and am trying to work. So why can't I get work?

I've been told to dumb down my resume and applications but at the same time I feel like I am lying. When I list my past work experience what do I say? Lie about working for the same company for 10 years? To me that shows longevity in a position and is a positive to me. So why am I not hire-able in this area?

Can anyone shed some light on this predicament for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:45 PM

16,146 posts, read 10,290,874 times
I am so sorry to read about your situation and I hope you find work soon. I don't live there but I can tell you the recession is still alive and well, jobs are difficult to find everywhere and the Tri Cities area is no exception. These are smaller towns so the number of available jobs is much smaller than in a larger city and you do not have a network of friends and contacts to refer you to opportunities. All these are working against you, for now.

What kind of work do you do? Maybe offer to volunteer at a local hospital or nursing home as a way of making contacts?

Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM

218 posts, read 415,330 times
Let me first say - don't "dumb down " your qualifications. Though, you do not indicate your career field, I sense you feel less than adequate to get a job here. I have been a career counselor for years, have helped all levels of individuals to become employed. While the job market here is tight and yes, the competition can be stiff, there are good paying jobs to be had in the Tri Cities area. Have you tried a professional service to help you in your job search? I worked for a non-profit group and was assigned to the Tn. Employment Career Centers. There people could get help with resumes, interview skills and placement.
Perhaps you might try an employment agency to get some leads on jobs in your field. Also, attitude and personal appearance goes along way toward selling ones self in the job market.

I am a "local" having grown up here - moved away and came home some twenty years ago. I have seen lots of changes in that time - networking is an excellent way to find jobs in this area. There are young professional groups which meet regularly. There is a publication called "Tri-City Business Journal". Pick one up and see if there is anything in there that meets your qualifications. I am retired now, but still have professional contacts in all areas of employment. I'd be happy to help you if I can.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 PM

My career field is in education. I have been completely shut out of any possible job in that field here. Prior to education I spent about 6 years as an administrative assistant so my skills are varied but highly useful.

I spoke with an employment agency about a year ago and was basically told they have nothing for me and my qualifications. I have applied through positions with employment agencies but never get any response. I doubt it is my resume because I've actually been complimented on the format of my resume as well as how clearly written it is. (Of course, I still didn't get the job). I own 3 business suits as well as numerous career outfits which are all job interview appropriate. In many ways, people can't seem to get past my 12 years in education and see all I can do and all I can offer.

I will say networking is a BIG thing here. I've found that most jobs are obtained by who you know. I do know many people but apparently not the right people. I hadn't thought of volunteering my time to help me but then again I don't really have the money to spend on gas to a job where I don't get paid. Sorry.

I'll be honest, right now my attitude is horrible but please also understand my situation. The interview I was supposed to go to on this last Wednesday but ended up being cancelled because they hired someone else, when the person called me to schedule the interview she said what I've heard more than once - "with your background, I just don't know why I should hire you." My response is I don't know why you don't. No one that knows me and who I am can understand it. I don't understand it. I've put myself out there so much. I've been told that people are intimidated by my education and experience, the fact that I'm used to hire pay but would settle for anything at this point, and that they are afraid I will leave if a position opens in my field (that one is not going to happen and its not just because I'm no longer applying in my field).

TN.RidgerunninGal, I don't feel less than adequate. I feel like I have TONS to offer, just no one will give me a chance to show them that.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:26 PM

34,899 posts, read 30,997,308 times
I think you have a couple of things working against you.

Education is a big, big field here that pays comparatively well compared to the general junk jobs, but we have multiple local colleges (King, Milligan, Emory & Henry, Tusculum, and especially ETSU) churning out teachers left and right. New teachers will work for less money than experienced ones. I think that's part of the problem unless the school systems were looking for some niche position where a new grad would have no hope of filling it.

Most of these new grads have built up connections to the local school systems through the local colleges, interning, and student teaching, thus the administrators and existing school personnel often know potential candidates before they are hired.

Third, I think the number of teachers needed is going to decline as the area continues to get older and older and working age people with kids leave because there is little quality work to be had in the area. I'm surprised that we haven't seen more cuts to teaching staff levels yet.

Nepotism and cronyism are big here since many working age residents are from here and have roots that go back to childhood, if not generations. I think I had seven jobs total in the area from high school to when I left for good earlier this year, and four of those I got through someone I know, two of the remaining jobs were Food City and Wal-Mart, and the one I did get on my own was the last job I had before moving.

It's three parts education being especially closed off, the local job market being in the ditch, and nepotism.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM

981 posts, read 1,615,985 times
Were you fired from your previous jobs? If so, are you listing that when you apply to jobs? In the event that you were fired and are listing it, have someone call and do a reference check on your behalf. See if they are giving you a bad reference. If they aren't or if they are not even detailing if you potentially got fired, just leave that off any application. Also, consider checking any personal references you have. Someone might be screwing you over and you may not suspect it at all.

Personally, I have received offers for about 9 interviews for minimum wage jobs in the last month. So I know people are hiring. Whether they might be discriminating against you or something else is holding you back, I cannot say. Still, it sucks in the Tri-Cities.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:14 PM

OMG I have NEVER in my life been fired! I and have been told by interviewers that my references are always excellent. This is why I cannot understand my not being hired. I wish I could get interviews for minimum wage jobs but it seems once people look at my resume or application and see how over qualified I am they don't even bother.

I very quickly discovered that teaching jobs do not exist in the area and those that do are very competitive. It is for that reason that I am no longer pursuing my career field. Also, I actually was told by a school system HR person that I won't be hired because they can hire a first year teacher, or even a 5th year teacher, cheaper than they can hire me. I'm not hireable.

Nepotism is certainly an issue. That and I'm still in shock that I could have ever been fired. No way!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:19 PM

981 posts, read 1,615,985 times
It was a question. Don't go crazy. Plenty of people get fired. And they get fired for bull**** reasons.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:05 PM

34,899 posts, read 30,997,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H73TN View Post
OMG I have NEVER in my life been fired! I and have been told by interviewers that my references are always excellent. This is why I cannot understand my not being hired. I wish I could get interviews for minimum wage jobs but it seems once people look at my resume or application and see how over qualified I am they don't even bother.

I very quickly discovered that teaching jobs do not exist in the area and those that do are very competitive. It is for that reason that I am no longer pursuing my career field. Also, I actually was told by a school system HR person that I won't be hired because they can hire a first year teacher, or even a 5th year teacher, cheaper than they can hire me. I'm not hireable.

Nepotism is certainly an issue. That and I'm still in shock that I could have ever been fired. No way!
This is only my opinion, but you are looking in what I've found to be the worst job market I've ever applied in, and I've applied to hard hit areas like FL and MI. The worst offers I've ever gotten, should I even get an interview, have been in the Tri-Cities. If you can't find work, leave for somewhere else you can.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:59 AM

16,146 posts, read 10,290,874 times
I really don't understand the HR person. Well I guess I do but did they even discuss salaries with you? It's clear you will take anything at this point but how do you convey that to the person giving the interview?

Has the job market always been this bad in the region? Has me really worried about finding part time work if we decide to retire there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol