Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2006, 09:22 AM

53 posts, read 250,935 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be visiting Milligan College the first week of January and would like to know what we could do or see in Johnson City or immediate area? I am guessing it will be fairly cold, but is there anything we should visit? I have an 11 year old and of course my 17 year old that will be going thru the area. Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 01:54 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
There are some ski resorts up on the N Carolina side within an hour drive or so. If you don't ski they have a couple inner tube hills. Either way a mountain drive for a day is priceless but watch the roads in the high mountains in January. There could be no snow or 3 feet of snow, it's very unpredictable. Roads close, and you could find yourself in North Carolina with no way to make it back to the TN valley.

Also they have some "quant" small towns if you like that kind of stuff, with small shops and all. Teenagers may be bored real quick with that. For them you may want to visit the Bristol Speedway, they do give tours of the speedway but I am not sure if they do in the winter.

Davy Crockett's birthplace is a little to the south and that is worth checking out, if only because it is in a pretty creek like setting.

Other than that I can't think of much. Johnson City's appeal is really the outdoors. Do a yahoo or google search on the state parks around the area, and be prepared to dress warmly.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:36 PM

74 posts, read 234,603 times
You may want to take a day trip down to Gatlinburg VIA the Zillion tourist attractions in Seiverville. Dolly Wood was a nice visit with something for every one (the play in the Play House was first rate) too bad its closed during your trip. During the short time we spent in Gatlinburg, we liked the Riplies museum and Cristus Gardens best, The Marine Museum looked like a nice place to visit with the kids but it was elbow to elbow inside when we were there in August so we shuffled back out and got a refund. Google these places up and see if they are open, it might be worth the ride for you.
Have a great Time

Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Here in the Tri-Cities area there are things to do. Your youngest would like the Hands on Museum in Down Town Johnson City. There is "Speed way in lights" that is at the Bristol Motor Speed way, they have millions of Christmas lights displayed and you actually drive your car around the track to view it all. They have a skating rink set up there too. You can check out the schedules for the local music venue places also. I think January is when the Globetrotters come to Freedom Hall in Johnson City, but you'll have to check out that web site to see what is scheduled for when you are here. Down Town Jonesborough is all done up for "old time" Christmas and I think they have that up through January.
In Washington County there is:
Bays Mountain Park & Planetarium
Bristol Caverns ( We love to go "caving"! They give great tours!)
International Storytelling Center (you'll have to check schedule)
Johnson City Community Theater ( you'll have to check schedule)
Johnson City Symphony
Museum of Mountain Home
The Paramount Center for the Arts
Jonesborough History Museum

I have a book at the office with Kingsports events schedules, I'll check it tomorrow to see if it goes past December. Hope that helps!

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-31-2006 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: added

Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 AM

359 posts, read 1,636,077 times
Maybe Milligan College will give you a list of ideas, too. Maybe they'll even have some tickets or discounts to give your family for the visit.

If your 17 year old does end up attending Milligan, you'll probably be coming to our area many times to visit and getting to know our area well. I agree with mbmouse - there's much to see and do in the Tri-Cities, and of course, even more within an hour's drive (like the other posts said).

Good luck to you, and have fun!

Old 11-01-2006, 11:16 AM

53 posts, read 250,935 times
Wow, thanks for all the information! It sounds like we will have plenty of things to do. The lights at Bristol Speedway sound amazing. And skating sounds like fun too. We might try and get to the Hands on Museum as well. I knew I could count on many of you to respond. I think it will be tough to choose what we will do but I know we wont be bored.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
We are all happy to help! Be sure and have a SAFE enjoyable trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol