Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM

430 posts, read 379,818 times

Advertisements

I asked in the Va section but not getting much answers....I had narrowed our list to 2 places in Ky and 2 or 3 in Va and Bristol is my favorite....just curious if anyone can give me more information...mostly about schools,employment chances etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 01:45 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I'm not very familiar with Bristol VA schools. The VA side has had more development over the past few years, but some of that is changing with the Pinnacle on the TN side. If you live in VA, you will have to pay state income tax (which TN does not have) and for a vehicle inspection.

Employment is extremely hard to come by in the area.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Yes, I'd say most of the Virginia forums are focused on NOVA, VA Beach area, Richmond and somewhat Roanoke. SW VA often gets left out of that discussion, and several counties are actually in the Tri-Cities, TN/VA combined statistical area.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:29 PM

I could look for work in Tn and Va wife is a CNA and can only work in a state that will reciprocate her license. They MIGHT do it now that we live in Georgia but when she had her NC license they wouldn't. Is jobs hard to find everywhere there as I know Bristol,Va is close to Kingsport,JC and Bristol,Tn

Old 09-11-2014, 06:46 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
If you live in TN and work in VA, you still have to pay that VA state income tax. If I had a job offer in VA, I'd just live closer to the job. The tax is 5.75% if you make over $17k, which is steep at that low of an income.

East TN and southwest VA have an extremely bad job market - in my opinion, among the worst in the country. Both jabogitlu and I are from the area, in our 20s, and there simply is no work there. Most people that need to work move off.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 PM

We are looking at Bristol and Abingdon and then 2 cities in Kentucky as well.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:38 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
I could look for work in Tn and Va wife is a CNA and can only work in a state that will reciprocate her license. They MIGHT do it now that we live in Georgia but when she had her NC license they wouldn't. Is jobs hard to find everywhere there as I know Bristol,Va is close to Kingsport,JC and Bristol,Tn
Bristol is both TN and VA, not entirely separate, as they share some city functions. It's an ODDBALL situation. Yeah, you might want to look elsewhere....

Old 09-11-2014, 09:40 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
I asked in the Va section but not getting much answers....I had narrowed our list to 2 places in Ky and 2 or 3 in Va and Bristol is my favorite....just curious if anyone can give me more information...mostly about schools,employment chances etc.
Sure, it's fine to ask about Bristol VA here.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 AM

185 posts, read 289,592 times
I think you are going to really have to do a couple of things.

First, you need to look at the actual job market for you and your wife. Anecdotal stats by us is part of it. Yes there are struggles here with regards to jobs and pay, but maybe not for your qualifications. Gotta do more research than just asking this forum. Look at the job listings and pay scales.

Next, you need to decide if potential income/expenses here are worth it for you. If you are taking a cut in income, but you are willing to make sacrifices to live in a specific area, then ok. Many are not ok with that.

With regard to you and your idea of going back to school, have you looked at the schools and options in this area for what you are doing? Is this area even suited for that?

I'm hugely pro for the Tri-cities, but I'm not going to say for you guys to pack up and move because you love it. Do your research and make a pro and con list.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:44 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I think Johnson City is a cool place to live, but I would never move there without a job. Could take years to maneuver into a relatively stable position that matches your skillset and/or education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol