Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 AM

255 posts, read 757,018 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a home I saw listed on the computer but have yet to be up in this area. We are looking to move soon and have made several trips to see various areas from Chattanooga to Oak Ridge but Kingsport sounds the best for us.

We are looking at a home on Chadwell Road in Kingsport...any information on this area good, bad or indifferent would be greatly appreciated. We are planning our next trip up and would like to know more about it before we come back up. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 05:51 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Default Hi Mia

Well........Chadwell is in the Bloomingdale area of Kingsport. It would be a matter of perspective and what you are looking for in an area. It is not a "bad" area in comparison to big cities such as NY, Chicago or Detroit by any means but it is one of the two "not the greatest of areas" in Kingsport, which are Bloomingdale and Lynn Garden. According to the Kingsport police those are the two areas they frequent more than others. Just a suggestion is to find 2 or so homes in each areas (central, north, south, east, west) on the MLS listing before making the trip and have a Realtor show you all of them then look around the neighborhoods. Go into the grocery store that would be closest, the convenience store, etc. And see if it feels like home.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Smile Better Areas?

Thanks MB! I am searching the Kingsport area for a nice home that is not too grand but is not a salt-box either that would be under $200,000. I like the Kingsport area but I don't know much about it, in your opinion what would be a good area (safety wise) or desirable area if you will. I have seen in the past you rave about the tri-cities area and would love to come visit it when I come up again. If I had an idea of where to look from someone that lives in the area I would have a better feel for it on a personal level and not of just a realtor trying to sell a home...if that makes sense and not offensive?! I would love to hear from locals about what they like and why, I love to hear happy people gush about why they love their "home".

Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
The whole Tri-Cities area is very nice, but you need to come take a look around because each area is different and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We live in Telford very near Jonesborough and love it. The other areas are equally nice according to you're needs and personal tastes. Kingsport, Johnson City, and Bristol plus Church Hill, Jonesborough, Gray, Elizabethton, Piney Flatts, Bluff City, Blountsville, Unicoi, Erwin, and maybe some more make up the area. You should definitely come for a tour.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 PM

I agree with Williboy whole heartedly. Do you have children that need to be in schools? You would need to tell us all a bit more of your criteria than a nice house in a decent area for less than 200k. That covers a huge area and only discounts a few. I personally love Gray not only for it's location but it's beautiful views and convenience. The schools are great and the people very friendly. But what I like and reasons may not be your perception at all. The best bet is always a trip.
To give you an idea of property's got to Realtor.com and use zip codes 37615, 37660, 37664, 37659 and when you put one of those in, choose "add other locations" ad choose all in 10 miles, that will give you a really good idea of what is available in the area. Hope that helps.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
Also 37690.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 AM

Thanks Williboy, sorry, I forgot that one.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Thanks MB! I am searching the Kingsport area for a nice home that is not too grand but is not a salt-box either that would be under $200,000. I like the Kingsport area but I don't know much about it, in your opinion what would be a good area (safety wise) or desirable area if you will. I have seen in the past you rave about the tri-cities area and would love to come visit it when I come up again. If I had an idea of where to look from someone that lives in the area I would have a better feel for it on a personal level and not of just a realtor trying to sell a home...if that makes sense and not offensive?! I would love to hear from locals about what they like and why, I love to hear happy people gush about why they love their "home".
Check out Watauga Street, just outside of downtown Kingsport. Gorgeous, old houses line the street. I'm not sure if $200k is enough to purchase one, but it's a very good location in Kingsport.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Talking Great Help:)

Thanks for all the helpful information. I have 3 children oldest is 11, next is 9 and youngest just turned 7 and they LOVE playing outside but the weather here is too hot for them due to heart condition...main draw of Tennessee.
I would like a place that is kid/pet/family friendly that is close to shopping but not "city". I don't mind a drive up to 30 minutes to shopping, I just want to have families around to socialize with and have activities for my children to participate in like sports, ballet, music and such because they had to give a lot of that up here and they miss it so much.
I can't wait to take our next visit, trying to get the area's down before planning the trip so we can make the most of it.
Thanks a bunch

Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Thanks for all the helpful information. I have 3 children oldest is 11, next is 9 and youngest just turned 7 and they LOVE playing outside but the weather here is too hot for them due to heart condition...main draw of Tennessee.
I would like a place that is kid/pet/family friendly that is close to shopping but not "city". I don't mind a drive up to 30 minutes to shopping, I just want to have families around to socialize with and have activities for my children to participate in like sports, ballet, music and such because they had to give a lot of that up here and they miss it so much.
I can't wait to take our next visit, trying to get the area's down before planning the trip so we can make the most of it.
Thanks a bunch
With that info it sounds like Gray might be better suited to your needs than Kingsport? Just a thought. Gray is more of a housing community but right in between Kingsport and JC. It is 15 minutes to Kingsport and 10 to JC. There are good schools and several subdivision type areas (not gated or homeowners associations and things like that) that usually come with some land and have kids around. I have three boys, 20, 17 and 13 and this area is very convenient for us and safe for the kids to hang out and such. There are a lot of young kids playing too. We have pets. There is limited shopping here but easy for those quick trips to the store when you are in the middle of making chili and realize you ran out of chili powder and need to get to the store and back in 10 minutes (happened to me last week ) Here are a few examples of some houses in Gray that are in those types of communities.

This one is actually in my neighborhood.
Single Family Home - Gray, TN, 37615 - Realtor.com

This is a brand new construction close to the new school being built.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol