Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 11:04 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

It's nice to see people gives updates, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Moving Mommy-

That's a pretty good summary.

The Fresh Market in JC..... the chain has just been sold, so we'll see how it plays out as they raise prices and cut quality to raise margins to pay for the debt... has a few things which are otherwise difficult to find. BUT, their meat and fish is the same stuff you buy at Krogers, but their prices are 20% higher for the same items. Sort of a scummy approach, but they survive...for now.

Wegmans.....if I have heard it once, I have heard it a thousand times (along with "where do I buy bread"?(sadly, nowhere). It seems to be the single most missed element when people come here from the outside. Quite honestly, the local grocery stores are lousy. I don't get it, but that's the way it is. High prices, low quality and selection...and even the "new" Food City in JC looks like something right out of the 70's.

The good...sort of...news...is that Wegmans is creeping closer. This year they will open in Charlottesville, and next year in the Raleigh/Durham area....Cary, I believe. It is silly to run that far for groceries...but maybe once every couple of months to buy pasta , canned goods, even a sort of good loaf of bread, and some decent produce...might be the plan. I doubt they will ever come to the tri cities area...maybe Asheville would be a potential location and that would be terrific!

Overall, glad you are happy here. How about this spring in early March? That is a delight no matter what else might be missing.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:27 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Salsaritas is a good option for fast casual dining. Pie Five just opened and they do the fast casual pizza thing - little pizzas with a wide variety of toppings and sauces. If you're thinking of stuff assembled at the counter, not a lot of that here, but there are plenty of reasonably quick options.

The grocery complaints are fairly frequent on here. Prices are high, selection is poor, and Food City dominates. Kingsport used to have a local chain called Oakwood (long out of business), Food Lion (think they're gone as well), Winn-Dixie (gone), White's (some were converted to IGA/Priceless - others were closed). Ingle's in Colonial Heights is slightly better than Food City, but there's only that one Ingles, and the Kingsport/Bristol Krogers are not in good shape. I've never cared for Fresh Market and Earthfare is a poor man's Whole Foods. If you want to eat organic or have specific dietary needs you can't easily meet at Food City, that can be a problem in the Tri-Cities. Knoxville has a Whole Foods now, Trader Joe's, and Costco - bring a cooler and ice. I don't see a Costco or higher end store relocating to the area any time soon.

Cooks Valley, and really everything off 126 to Central is a lot nicer than core Kingsport. I grew up in Indian Springs and the homes and residents are older, and probably without a lot of younger families these days, but it's still a pretty nice. Housing stock is a lot better than core Kingsport and crime isn't really an issue.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:56 AM

185 posts, read 289,534 times
Isn't Chipotle coming to the Pinnacle? Or at least a pretty strong rumor?

Moe's and Barbarito's here in JC are a decent alternative. My husband actually likes Moe's better. I'm a tiny bit partial to Chipotle still and would love to have one in JC.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:23 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
The Fresh Market in JC..... the chain has just been sold, so we'll see how it plays out as they raise prices and cut quality to raise margins to pay for the debt... has a few things which are otherwise difficult to find. BUT, their meat and fish is the same stuff you buy at Krogers, but their prices are 20% higher for the same items. Sort of a scummy approach, but they survive...for now.
The OP mentioned Earth Fare, not TFM. But, as a former TFM employee, it's quite interesting that they're being sold. While Earth Fare is the real deal healthy supermarket, TFM is just a sham - they sell whatever makes a profit, and pipe it through to the consumer with fancy music, lighting and packaging to make you feel like you're having a high quality experience. Trust me, nothing about the back end of TFM was remotely fancy!

I think Moe's is far superior to Chipotle (shudder). Barbarito's used to be pretty good, haven't been there in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol