Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 PM

97 posts, read 352,288 times

Advertisements

Do you guys have them allot? Do you guys have basements? Do have have foundation problems like they do in Raleigh nc? Is the ground made of clay Like Nc?
Are the homes well structured? I see alot of new homes, great prices? Are they sturdy or made to a inspection code that is good?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Yes, yes and yes, but I would not say a lot on all of those. We occasionally see a tornado or two, but nothing compared to west Tennessee. Hurricanes? Well, we often get some of the remnants if a hurricane if it comes this way.

Flooding, yes. Either from dasy melting of snow from the high mountains, storms, hurricanes, etc. HOWEVER, I think we live in one of the best areas as far as weather goes.

Homes seem sturdy... I know ours is... its a log home that my father built and he cut NO corners.

The ground is mixed... I know here on my land, we have red clay and also the old basic brown dirt. I know its not sandy here like it is over there... not until you get over the continental divide.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Thanks, but do you have basements? Are there areas that are no flood zones? Do you have to buy flood insurance? Is home insurance allot on a 1200 square ft home? Where do you go when there is a tornado?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Many homes have basements here... it just varies... there is hilly land here and some lower flatland/floodplains. Personally, we live on a hill and no chance of a flood here unless it rained 100 inches of rain per hour for a week solid.... You do not HAVE to buy flood insurance. We do not have it.

Tornado? When the weather gets bad, we simpy head down to the first floor, where the "back" part of it kinda goes underground. We have went many times during severe storms and tornado warnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanow30 View Post
Thanks, but do you have basements? Are there areas that are no flood zones? Do you have to buy flood insurance? Is home insurance allot on a 1200 square ft home? Where do you go when there is a tornado?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 PM

How long does the tornado last? Is it loud? Do you have to stay downstairs long?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Tornadoes in NETN are an extreme rarity, compared with central and west TN and especially with the Central US. I've never even bothered to take cover in a tornado warning or watch (but of course keep an eye and ear out). Tornadoes "last" for differing times... it's just, you know, when it's over your house that you have to worry. They can be loud, yes.

Many homes do have basements here, yes. You can probably search for homes with basements on realtor.com.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 PM

Even though I did not see it, as I was only 1 year old, I had the rare chance of being in a actual tornado here in Bristol... it was in 1977, near the Volunteer Pkwy area. It was a small one, but it really caused some damage. My mother was driving and it went right in front of the car! Ever since then, she has been terrified of twisters. To this day, if you drive along the Volunteer Pkwy between the BMS and Wal-Mart, look off to the ridge on the right side.. you can still see some of the old downed trees.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:08 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanow30 View Post
How long does the tornado last? Is it loud? Do you have to stay downstairs long?
Tornadoes, hurricanes & other major weather events are not things you need to be concerned about when investigating the Tri-Cities area. The odds that you'd experience a tornado if you lived your entire life anywhere in NE Tenn. are extremely small. Since 1950, only four confirmed tornadoes have touched down in Sullivan & Washington counties combined and nary a soul was killed.

In 1995 what was left of Hurricane Opal hit this area as a strong tropical storm, but that's the only local hurricane-related event I can recall happening in my lifetime (45 years).

Flooding is experienced in a few places occasionally, but I'd guess that well over 99% of land here is never subject to flooding.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Yeah and I think one of those was the one we were in that hit Bristol in 1977 (or maybe 1978).

One tropical system I vividly remember was in 1989, when the remnants of Hurricane Hugo roared through here... I think it was still a tropical storm when it came up by here. I remember it was very windy and I recall some power outages in our neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Since 1950, only four confirmed tornadoes have touched down in Sullivan & Washington counties combined and nary a soul was killed.

In 1995 what was left of Hurricane Opal hit this area as a strong tropical storm, but that's the only local hurricane-related event I can recall happening in my lifetime (45 years).

Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Flooding is experienced in a few places occasionally, but I'd guess that well over 99% of land here is never subject to flooding.
One thing that does seem to happen quite often (at least in rural locales) is basement flooding. So, you might want to bring in an expert to help decide if your house's basement is up to par. If not, you could spend days cleaning up your stuff... multiple times a year. (As do several of my friends - they basically can't use their basements.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol