Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 PM

97 posts, read 352,321 times

Advertisements

Do you guys have soccer for adult leagues? pickups? Do you have boxing gyms?How much is it? Also is traffic bad in johnson city or kingsport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Johnson City/Kingsport, Johnson City/Kingsport.... any reason Bristol is not even on your list? Just wondering, because I have been ranting here on how Bristol does not seem to exist on this board. Another reason I was wondering, because I know of a couple of these in BRISTOL.

Yes, traffic can be bad in all of the THREE Tri-Cities, depending on what part of town you go to in each of these and the time of day.

Best wishes.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Thanks so much. Does Bristol have super walmart or sams club? how about Ross marshalls or tj maxx?
Are the taxes cheaper? How about the homes?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 PM

Glad to help... We have both! We have TWO Super Wal-Marts (One in Bristol TN and the other in Bristol VA) and a BRAND NEW Sams Club right next door to one of the Wal-Marts (the one at the exit 7 area of I-81 in Bristol, Virginia). Finally something that Bristol has that Kingsport does not... a Sams Club, which is strange, because Kingsport WAS the ONLY Sams in the Tri-Cities, now they are the only one without.

We also have Ross and TJ Maxx... all located at the exit 7 area of Bristol VA (in the Highlands Shopping plaza, which also has Target, Books-a-million, Pet Smart, etc, etc), which has MUCH lower taxes than the Tennessee side of the city. VA tax is 5%. TN is like what, 9.75%?

Homes are comparable with JC and KPT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanow30 View Post
Thanks so much. Does Bristol have super walmart or sams club? how about Ross marshalls or tj maxx?
Are the taxes cheaper? How about the homes?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:33 PM

is everything cheaper in bristol va? How about Irish pubs or nightlife in Bristol? Is there tax on food? What is the average tax on homes about 1200 square feet? Is there alot of jobs avail in Bristol tn?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Don't base your preference of the Tri-Cities on Bristol's having TJ Maxx and Ross, Wal-Mart and Sam's, because all 3 have them all (with the exception of Kingsport, which doesn't have a Sam's anymore), and more importantly, all 3 are within easy driving distance of one another. If you were to choose Bristol, though, be sure to live on the TN side, because there's no state income tax, but shop on the VA side, because the sales tax is half of TN's.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Yes, its cheaper because of lower taxes.... very noticable on high price items. There is nightlife, but I am a old homebody, so I am not sure all where they are. There are pool halls downtown. Yes, there is a food tax.

Not sure about the tax question... I live in my parents home and they pay all of that.

There are jobs here, but not high paying jobs unfortunately unless you are a doctor, lawyer, or a race car driver.

Quote:
is everything cheaper in bristol va? How about Irish pubs or nightlife in Bristol? Is there tax on food? What is the average tax on homes about 1200 square feet? Is there alot of jobs avail in Bristol tn?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 PM

Very well put! Dont work on VA side either... I live in Bristol TN, work in Bristol VA and have to pay VA state tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Don't base your preference of the Tri-Cities on Bristol's having TJ Maxx and Ross, Wal-Mart and Sam's, because all 3 have them all (with the exception of Kingsport, which doesn't have a Sam's anymore), and more importantly, all 3 are within easy driving distance of one another. If you were to choose Bristol, though, be sure to live on the TN side, because there's no state income tax, but shop on the VA side, because the sales tax is half of TN's.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Okay Thanks were older too! Just wondering more of a place to get out for a night on an occassion for a late 30's crowd and great food resturants

Old 01-19-2008, 10:44 PM

Well, I am not old (in my 30s), but I am not much of one to go out for the dizzy nightlife. There are many restaurants with superb food here- especially in the exit 7 area. Like I said, there are also few little clubs in old downtown.

Quote:
Okay Thanks were older too! Just wondering more of a place to get out for a night on an occassion for a late 30's crowd and great food resturants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol