Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 PM

6 posts, read 7,484 times

Advertisements

I will move to Johnson City in Mid-August for a new job. I am looking for a quiet 1 BR apt within 10 minutes driving range from downtown JC.

I have been insanely busy this summer and might not have time to fly or drive to JC to check out apts between now and then. I realized I am just about 2 weeks away from moving! I feel very unsure about renting without actually seeing the apt and neighborhood in person. I am planning to move there first, check in a hotel, stay for several days and look for apts last-minute.

My concern is that there might not be any good apts left at that time, especially with all the new students coming in and renting in August.
Anyone who has experience in renting in JC, could you give me some advice? Thank you so so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangotree333 View Post
I will move to Johnson City in Mid-August for a new job. I am looking for a quiet 1 BR apt within 10 minutes driving range from downtown JC.

I have been insanely busy this summer and might not have time to fly or drive to JC to check out apts between now and then. I realized I am just about 2 weeks away from moving! I feel very unsure about renting without actually seeing the apt and neighborhood in person. I am planning to move there first, check in a hotel, stay for several days and look for apts last-minute.

My concern is that there might not be any good apts left at that time, especially with all the new students coming in and renting in August.
Anyone who has experience in renting in JC, could you give me some advice? Thank you so so much!
We can help guide you. Let us know your budget, situation, etc.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Thank you very much, Beretta!

Right now I am looking for a good quality, relatively new 1 br apartment in a quiet neighborhood (no roommate, no pets) starting in mid-August.
I will be working at ETSU so I would like to find a place that is relatively close to ETSU (< 10 minutes drive) but doesn't have a lot of students and partying.
My upper limit for rent is about $700 per month (before utility). I don't like studios.

I realized that the renting market in JC is very different from what I experienced before. My understanding is that apartments seem to go pretty fast and they are nearly all full most of the time. So I am a little nervous about renting last-minute. Maybe I should squeeze out the time to fly to JC in the following days? Is that something I better do if I want to find a good apartment?

I drove to JC in June to check out Sterling hills but I decided not to rent there. I like the reserve and haven at knob creek but they are a little over budget. I really like UDC and their new apartments and wanted to rent at riverview but decided not to because it is a little too far. And right now UDC doesn't have anything available that is close to ETSU.

Again, thank you very much for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
We can help guide you. Let us know your budget, situation, etc.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:29 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
One thing to note is that if you want to stay that close to ETSU, rents are going to be more. If you are willing to drive thirty minutes, you will likely find something a good bit cheaper.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 AM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times
Have you checked out Stone Crest? It is a relatively new UDC complex and is only about 5 minutes from ETSU. Also check out Pleasant View. All three locations are fairly new, within your budget and are basically down the street from ETSU. I lived in the Pleasant View Dr. apartments for a couple years and it was a wonderful experience. The landlords are the nicest people you'll ever meet and it is super quiet.

Pleasant View Estates - Country LIving in the City

Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM

Thank you very much for the information! I do find that price go down as the distance goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing to note is that if you want to stay that close to ETSU, rents are going to be more. If you are willing to drive thirty minutes, you will likely find something a good bit cheaper.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:05 PM

Thank you so much for the information! I haven't heard about Pleasant view before. I really like Pleasant View and am thinking about applying. I do notice a railroad nearby. Would that be noisy at night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Have you checked out Stone Crest? It is a relatively new UDC complex and is only about 5 minutes from ETSU. Also check out Pleasant View. All three locations are fairly new, within your budget and are basically down the street from ETSU. I lived in the Pleasant View Dr. apartments for a couple years and it was a wonderful experience. The landlords are the nicest people you'll ever meet and it is super quiet.

Pleasant View Estates - Country LIving in the City

Old 07-28-2015, 02:24 PM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times
There is a railroad that runs along the edge of the property however there are no crossings so therefore no horns. I never really noticed the trains.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I love living near a train (no horns). You could ask for a unit facing away from the tracks.

With all the insulation that is required for new construction you might never hear the train, though.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:31 PM

Thank you so much for the information! I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol