Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 PM

29 posts, read 71,833 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer info on the Piney Flats area.
I do not see it mentioned often.
May be interested in visiting the area soon to
see some of the houses going up.
Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 PM

423 posts, read 1,404,823 times
Carpenter, Piney Flats is a small community just northeast of Johnson City, situated nicely so that within 5-25 minutes (more like five minutes to the JC line) you can be in any of the cities and towns in the area: Bristol, Kingsport, Elizabethton, Johnson City, Gray, Jonesborough, Bluff City, or Blountville. Boone Lake is in Piney Flats (part of it anyway). There's not really a "downtown" to Piney Flats...more of a bedroom community to JC it seems. We're newcomers here, too, so I'm not really all that qualified to speak on it, but dcommander should be able to tell you all you want to know. Where are you D?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:07 PM

227 posts, read 720,082 times
Hi Carpenter,

Pineywoods described Piney Flats pretty well. It is a quiet little community between JC and Bristol but quite convenient to all of the Tri-Cities area. I've lived here on and off since 1997 and really like it. The majority of Piney Flats is in Sullivan County; however, there is a small area which is in the city limits of Johnson City (Washington County). It is seeing quite a bit of growth with new subdivisions, condominiums, Walgreens, restaurants and soon a new Food City grocery store. But is still maintains that small town feel with rolling pasture lands and some pretty mountain views.

Hope that helps!
D

Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Thank you dcommander & Pineywoods. That was good info.
I was in the Tri-Cities area 4-5 years ago and drove to many
areas and got close to Piney Flats but turned back before I got very far.
It sure seemed open and quiet at that time.
I think my local map went blank along Carroll Creek Road and what was 19 W.
I would have been lost for sure. lol!

Now the fact that most of the area is in Sullivan County is interesting.
Is there a broad difference between the two counties.
Taxes, or different regulations to be concerned with?
I seem to remember something mentioned a ways back ,
perhaps by mbmouse or one of the other well informed folks.
Of course I don't remember last month.
Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,317,005 times
They are both very similar. Kingsport does have cheaper electric rates than JC.
Regulations? Not many of them unless you live right in city limits, and still not many. But then again, I am comparing regulations here to CT and FL which are full of regulations!
Lower property taxes means you won't have as many regulations to be monitored using that tax monies. Which also means your neighbors don't have those regulations either, so keep that in mind.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM

http://www.sullivancounty.org/SC%20P...ty%20Taxes.pdf

Washington County, Tennessee

Hope these websites help with tax questions, etc. Washington County is currently voting on a proposed wheel tax.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Well thanks to mbmouse & dcommander for the response.
The best feeling is to get back up there to have a another peek.

The web sites were excellent dcommander.
Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
Well thanks to mbmouse & dcommander for the response.
The best feeling is to get back up there to have a another peek.
That is the best way to know if it is right for you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol