Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 01:45 PM

15 posts, read 21,093 times

Advertisements

I am from eastern Kentucky and am looking at moving to the Tri-Cities in a few months. I've been shopping in the area many times throughout my life so I am familiar with it from that standpoint. I also know there is obviously much more there compared to where I live in eastern Kentucky and it is this reason that we are planning a move....better schools, more jobs, a better long-term outlook, more shopping, better roads, etc.

My question though is --- does it have a similar style of people and culture compared to eastern KY? We obviously have our drug problems up here but we also have some very friendly southern, country people that would go out of their way to help others. We also have that small town feel. These are 2 important things that we are concerned we may not find in the tri-cities.

Again, we obviously realize there is much more in terms of activities and culture, but at its roots, does the tri-city area still have a small town southern feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 04:33 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
Yes, especially if you choose to live in the more rural areas, the experience should be very similar to E KY, yet ~20 minutes to the opportunities you're looking for.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 AM

185 posts, read 289,333 times
Eastern KY is pretty big - do you have a more concise area for us to give you a better comparison?

I'd say generally, it's got a lot of similarity culture-wise, with better amenities and schools. But there are actually some really good school districts in Eastern KY, even though few see that.

I grew up in Western KY and I find the culture here to be pretty similar. Larger population, but still feels very much like a small town in many ways. I've decided that I finally have roots in an area when I'm out shopping or dining and run into not just one person I know, but two or three. I've reached that point. LOL

Old 01-25-2016, 11:42 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's the Prestonsburg-Pikeville area specifically that I'm trying to compare. Obviously there are many more amenities and I know the city schools down there are very good. But I was more or less just trying to see if that small-town feel still existed.

Our roots are back here but I want my children to have better opportunities as they grow up so we hope the culture will be similar and we can make our own roots down there eventually. Other than that, we very much look forward to the move. Just a little nervous leaving what we've known for so long.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I think you'll do just fine. Johnson City has a decent amount of offerings, with a laid back vibe. I'm sure you guys have visited, being so close, right?

Lots of little towns around the area to choose from, too. Something to consider: Some of them, like Gray, Piney Flats, etc., generally act these days as bedroom communities for JC or Kpt, so the 'community' feel there may be less than you desire.

Elizabethton has a very strong community feel, especially if you're into Sunday church. Jonesborough also has a decent community feel, but it's a little more classically conservative (fiscally) than Elizabethton (socially conservative). J'borough also has a big focus on the arts.

If you're looking at living in Johnson City itself, the Tree Streets is a pretty active city neighborhood, where you should be able to find a good sense of belonging.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Cultures are very similar. If you're in the heart of JC, it's going to be more liberal than probably anything you'd find in eastern KY, aside from maybe some artsy neighborhoods in Berea.

I go through eastern KY at least once a month coming back here and it feels just like home to me, for better and worse.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Glad to hear it's very similar and still has a somewhat small town feel. We are looking at those smaller towns outside of the big 3 --- Elizabethton, Gray, Blountville, etc. But the schools don't seem to be ranked as high as the JC and Kingsport city schools so that has us debating.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
City schools in East TN are generally better than county schools, and many times the best city systems are the larger ones, with some exceptions. I wouldn't characterize Washington Co. schools or Elizabethton / Carter County schools as particularly exceptional, but they're decent.

Additionally, rural schools in East TN are almost never good. Just a warning. There are great teachers hidden among dullards, and there's definitely a different culture.

Im not sure, but you may be able to pay a tuition fee and send your kids to JC or KPT city schools -- it worked this way in Greeneville, when I grew up there.

There are some private options. But folks who specifically want good public schools, generally live/move inside the city limits.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:23 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
There are many opportunities especially around Kingsport to be inside the city boundaries, but not feel like you're in the city. So perhaps you can get the best of both worlds.

Just look at this map of Kingsport. They've annexed everything from Blountville to JC. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ki...9cc0d30bcc841f

Old 01-30-2016, 08:35 PM

20 posts, read 25,291 times
Johnson City and Kingsport have two of the best high schools in the State.

Search Tennessee High Schools | US News

Jonesborough is not bad either. Zoom in on the NE corner of the State.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

HTH, Art

Last edited by Yac; 02-03-2016 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City