Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 02:29 PM

22 posts, read 36,345 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Johnson City. I was wondering, what do you like to do for fun in the area? I'm looking to expand my experiences. For example, I recently went to a class on Appalachian Square Dancing and Clogging at ETSU. Didn't know what to expect. I've done Western Square Dancing before and a bit of clogging but not Appalachian style. And it was great! I had a wonderful time.

Got me thinking that maybe there's other fun, new experiences in the area that I might like. So I thought I'd ask all you good folks on the forum, what do you like to do for fun? It can be absolutely anything; an activity, place, festival, etc. If it's something I already know isn't my cup of tea, like base jumping, I won't try it but I will still appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 05:07 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I'm not into the traditional Appalachian arts/crafts scene at all. I grew up in the area and didn't have that much connection to it, neither do any of my family. With that said, if you enjoy that kind of thing, Bristol offers the birthplace of country music, the Carter fold is fine, etc. I do think there is a lot of "hamming it up" on the traditional Appalachian stuff when most of the population is just like anywhere else nowadays.

Tri-Cities has excellent outdoor opportunities - hiking, boating, fishing, hunting, camping - about anything you would want, most of the year. The dining/shopping/drinking scene is improving, but still nothing like a major city.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 PM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times
Obviously outdoor activities are going to be huge: hiking, fishing, camping, rafting, etc. Increasingly biking is becoming quite popular. The Tweetsie trail is fun to ride and there is a large group ride called the Taco Trek every Tuesday night. It's free and starts at the Trek store downtown and is about a 30 minute ride around downtown and through the Tree Streets. There are over 100 participants every week and it has been so successful it's become a model for Trek stores nationwide.

The new Silverball City retro arcade downtown is loads of fun as it Just Jump trampoline park. I'm huge into craft beer so visiting the local breweries is always a good time. ETSU usually always has something going on whether its sports, lectures, plays, or whatever. The Gray Fossil Site and Bright's Zoo are also pretty cool.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:47 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
There is also Creation Kingdom zoo in nearby southwest VA.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:27 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Let us know when you get to the top of the Bays Mountain Fire tower. Must provide picture as proof!

Old 05-10-2016, 07:58 AM

22 posts, read 36,345 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! Ted Bear may be waiting a bit for the picture from the top of Bays Mountain Fire Tower. It looks stunning but heights and I aren't exactly friends.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Here is a good list of festivals:
Festivals
Quote:
Appalachian Fair, Gray, TN (August)
Appalachian Festival of Plays and Playwrights, Abingdon, VA (July/August)
Appalachian Trail Days, Damascus, VA (May)
Apple Festival, Erwin, TN (October)
Asheville Cinema Film Festival, Asheville, NC (November)
Asheville Fringe Arts Festival, Asheville, NC (January)
Bakersville Creek Walk Arts Festival, Bakersville, NC (September)
Big Stone Celtic Festival, Big Stone Gap, VA (September)
Blue Plum Festival, Johnson City, TN (June)
Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion, Bristol (September)
Covered Bridge Festival, Elizabethton, TN (June)
Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands, Asheville, NC (July and October)
East Tennessee Celtic Festival, Sycamore Shoals State Park, Elizabethton, TN (September)
Festival of the Arts, SWVCC, Richlands, VA (April)
Fun Fest, Kingsport, TN (July)
Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, Linville, NC (July)
Grayson Highlands Fall Festival, Mouth of Wilson, VA (September)
Hungry Mother Arts and Crafts Festival, Marion, VA (July)
Iris Festival, Greeneville, TN (May)
Jonesborough Days, Jonesborough, TN (July)
Mountain Dance and Folk Festival, Asheville, NC (July/August)
Music on the Square, Jonesborough, TN (June-September)
National Storytelling Festival, Jonesborough, TN (October)
Old Butler Days, Mountain City, TN (August)
QuiltFest, Jonesborough, TN (July)
Plumb Alley Day, Abingdon, VA (May)
Radford Highlanders Festival, Radford, VA (October)
Roan Mountain Rhododendron Festival, Roan Mountain, TN (June)
Shady Valley Cranberry Festival, Shady Valley, TN (October)
Shindig on the Green, Asheville, NC (June, July, August)
Sycamore Shoals Native American Culture Festival, Elizabethton, TN (May/June)
Toe River Storytelling Festival, Spruce Pine, NC (July)
Umoja/Unity Festival, Johnson City, TN (August) (423) 439-7863
Virginia Highlands Festival, Abingdon, VA (July/August)
Wooly Worm Festival, Banner Elk, NC (October)
Quote:

First Friday
in JC
Here is the schedule for the FUN* FREE* FIRST FRIDAY of the month series!
Remember: there is ALWAYS a First Friday celebration downtown, these are the dates where we take it to the streets!

April 1: Corazon Latino
May 6: Jazz Jam & Buzz Fest
August 5: Beach Music with Outdoor expo
September 2 & 3: Umoja Festival
October 7: Blues Little Chicago Style
November 4: Country Music Heritage
December 3: Christmas Parade – 12 Days of Christmas
New Year’s Eve, December 31: Hello Downtown 2017
I'm guessing that June is missing because that is Blue Plum weekend and July may conflict with something 4th of July related.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:14 PM

14 posts, read 14,169 times
If you enjoy dancing, you might check out the Contra Dances in Jonesborough. They meet in the Visitor's Center near the library in Jonesborough. I've only been a couple times, but know a few who go regularly. It's a very active group. If you're interested, check out the Historic Jonesborough Dance Society online for more info.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:30 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm not into the traditional Appalachian arts/crafts scene at all. I grew up in the area and didn't have that much connection to it, neither do any of my family. With that said, if you enjoy that kind of thing, Bristol offers the birthplace of country music, the Carter fold is fine, etc. I do think there is a lot of "hamming it up" on the traditional Appalachian stuff when most of the population is just like anywhere else nowadays.

Tri-Cities has excellent outdoor opportunities - hiking, boating, fishing, hunting, camping - about anything you would want, most of the year. The dining/shopping/drinking scene is improving, but still nothing like a major city.
We are big campers and found a few along one of the rivers south of JC (can't remember the name). But it appeared too shallow for fishing. Is there camping along larger rivers maybe further away? Camping on a lake where I can fish?

Old 06-01-2016, 03:11 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Jonesborough Soda Fest --- Saturday 6/4/16

Quote:
There’s a new event coming to Tennessee’s Oldest Town June 4 and it’s guaranteed to spark the interest of both young and old.

Soda Fest is designed to expand your taste buds with exposure to flavorful soda pop while providing a different festival style experience bringing generations together while sampling a variety of different sodas, some you’ve heard of and some that will make your taste buds ask for more.

Jonesborough’s downtown is already Alive after 5 on Saturday evenings with food, outdoor movies and theatre performances, and the Jonesborough Area Merchants & Services Association wanted to make an effort to give the community somewhere to eat, shop and be entertained in their hometown during the summer months.

Soda Fest will take place from 4 to 8 p.m. with soda stop tastings all along Main Street and Jonesborough’s Historic District. Each soda stop will include a soda jerk who will be pouring the samples in 2 oz. cups for festival goers to enjoy. Beginning at 7 p.m. there will be live music and a sock hop. At 8 p.m., Bottle Cap Bingo will take place in front of The Lollipop Shop, followed by the popular Movies on Main featuring a family friendly outdoor movie at 8:45 p.m.
Town of Jonesborough - Jonesborough Soda Fest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol