Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 09:55 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times

Advertisements

Washington Co. to increase property tax for school funding | WJHL

The rate is rising from the current rate of $1.98 to $2.38 per $100 of assessed value to fund "school improvements." Not sure how the Washington County schools perform vs. the city or other counties, but I'd wager they are at least equal to or better than other county schools in the region. Hopefully the money is spent intelligently and it actually helps students and the community to thrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 17,169,162 times
First, this is not a done deal. From what I can read, the County Commission voted to recommend the rate hike and send it back to the budget committee, for configuration in the upcoming budget. The money has not been appropriated by the Commission (yet). At that point, the mill rate would be successfully changed.

The proposed increase in mill rate funds a variety of projects in Washington County:

• School bus replacement: 2 pennies, or new debt of about $4.6 million.

• School technology: 3 pennies, an estimated cost of about $3.7 million (tax increase/no new debt).

• School capital items: 6 pennies, an estimated $9.3 million (tax increase/no new debt).

• Public safety communication system: 1 penny, $1.3 million, new debt.

• General government, including Circuit Court computer system, roof replacements, paving economic development: 8 pennies, about $12.4 million (tax increase/no new debt).

• Highway & Bridge infrastructure: 1 penny, not determined, cash funded (tax increase/no new debt).

The Commission appears to be in favor of a new elementary school for Boones Creek, but a remodel/modifications to the existing Jonesborough school.

More information:
Johnson City Press: WC Budget Committee OK with 40-cent tax hike
Johnson City Press: 40-cent tax hike would cover new Boones Creek K-8, renovated Jonesborough school renovations, other county needs

Here's a page illustrating how to calculate property taxes inside Washington County:

Tax Calculator | Washington County, TN

Looks like for a house valued at $150,000, the tax would rise annually from $742.43 to $892.50. I would gladly pay an extra $150 per year to support the proposed changes, although I don't live in Washington County.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:43 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,609,657 times
20% increase seems drastic. Anytime politicians want to jack up the tax rate, they claim it's "for the children".

The price tag on the schools is outrageous.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:21 AM

677 posts, read 1,068,133 times
I seriously question the need for Washington County to spend this much on new schools when the district's enrollment is essentially flat and will probably decline in the coming years. Nearly all of the County's growth is occurring in Johnson City. The plus side is JC schools would get equal funding but the entire thing seems horribly inefficient. Consolidation seems like a no-brainer. Even if there is a high cost on the front-end to bring up Washington Co. salaries, there would most likely be savings long-term.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:38 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
Sullivan County has gone through a debate about whether or not to repair existing schools, or close some and consolidate. I think that included even building new facilities. Best I recall, Sullivan County's enrollment was declining.

I don't know if Washington County is planning on building new schools, but it would seem to be dumb in a time of declining enrollment.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:14 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,609,657 times
In one of the articles above it stated that even with the increased taxes, they will be cutting school staff positions.

It always seems like there is an effort to make schools more "glossy". IMO these are in large part educational overhead costs which have little bearing on the service provided - education. I'd rather see the money spent on direct costs - teacher salary, recruitment, training, supplies, curriculum improvements, hands on learning, special programs, teachers' aids. Basically let's spend money that translates to job skills and college readiness. On everything else, spend as little as possible.

One option I would consider is closing BCM, BCE, Ridgeview, and Gray and building one new K-8 near Daniel Boone HS.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:25 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,674,723 times
I have met several young mothers who have chosen to home school.
Perhaps looking into how these schools are run by an independent authority would be a better course of action than trying to flood the problem with money the residents cannot afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol