Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:25 AM

536 posts, read 961,610 times

Advertisements

So we are beginning our scouting trips to TN for places to retire to. We started around Nashville, and Cookeville, and our next trip will be to the east mountain side near Bristol. My question is where is the closest big airport? I will have family visiting when we move, and we'll need be close enough to an airport. I'm thinking no more than 2 hours, but would prefer like 1 to 1.5 hours from one (or closer?). I have family who will be traveling from all over including Alaska to come see me.

My sister lives in N. VA and so does my brother for now. My brother is moving to Raleigh, so Bristol is a consideration because I'd be half way to both locations.

I am totally in love with TN. I have traveled east and west on I-40, stayed in Knoxville, stayed in Columbia, and visited for the day to areas in between. Been to Gatlinburg a few times too. Really like Cookeville, but also scouting other areas, to make sure we have the right fit. I know Nashville has a good airport, don't know much about the one in Knoxville? Is that one also an international airport with a hub? Would that be the closest one to Bristol?

I do love the mountains. Bristol has been on the radar as a location to check out.

Our desire would be to have a house on maybe 1ac or so (or even just a big yard). Under 200,000. Don't want to be right next to the auto race track. I saw that Bristol has a lot of parks for walking and hiking. That is a huge interests, as well as finding areas to Kayak.

As we get closer to moving our criteria changes, as at first I wanted very rural, but not so much now, would rather be closer to bigger place. As we age, we won't want to be driving far away for things. Need a good network of doctors and things like that.

My husband will be retired, and I will still be working.

Please tell me a little more about Bristol. I have done some research, and dropped down on google earth to "look around".

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 06:44 AM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times
Tri-Cities Regional Airport serves the area. It is a small airport with daily flights to Charlotte and Atlanta on American and Delta, respectively. Allegiant also has flights to Orlando and St. Petersburg. Flights can be on the expensive side but a lot of that just depends on your destination and the airline.

There are also airports in Asheville and Knoxville that offer more flights but really aren't any cheaper. The closest major international airport is Charlotte approximately 3 hours away.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:24 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
For the closest, Charlotte is it. It's probably worth the price difference.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 AM

Thank you for the information! It is important that we leave near enough to a major airport for family and friendly flying in.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
When you come or fly to a distant destination, the leg from Charlotte or Atlanta gets folded into the price. On that basis it is less costly that just flying from TRI to Charlotte or Atlanta.

For visitors coming in, it is quite easy. Fly to Atlanta or Charlotte, catch the 4/5/6 times per day hopper over the mountain to Tri Cities. Getting through the 'airport' is beyond easy. Pull up out front, meet your guests, hop in the car and leave. No hassle, no traffic, no aggravation. Beats driving to Charlotte or Atlanta.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
When you come or fly to a distant destination, the leg from Charlotte or Atlanta gets folded into the price. On that basis it is less costly that just flying from TRI to Charlotte or Atlanta.

For visitors coming in, it is quite easy. Fly to Atlanta or Charlotte, catch the 4/5/6 times per day hopper over the mountain to Tri Cities. Getting through the 'airport' is beyond easy. Pull up out front, meet your guests, hop in the car and leave. No hassle, no traffic, no aggravation. Beats driving to Charlotte or Atlanta.

Yes, that does sound easy! Thanks for this information.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 AM

Excellent, I just mapped from Bristol to Tri regional and it's 30 miles. Very cool. Well, this is the answer to that question! :-)

Old 08-25-2016, 12:46 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I like living in Bristol, moved here about 8 yrs ago from Memphis. The weather, the outdoor opportunities, and the low COL were the main draw for me. Kids were grown so not a factor in my decision.

There are couple of minor drawbacks. I guess one would be that Bristol is not pretty from the main roads, I was completely underwhelmed the first time I saw it. There are still a number of weedy scruffy looking buildings that could stand a face lift, but there are some very nice n'hoods once you get away from the highways.
Another is that Bristol is laid out somewhat awkwardly and can be annoying if you want to go to several places in a single trip. There is no convenient 'loop' around the city to make things easier.

Housing stock is older for the most part, a lot of raised ranch and tri-levels from the fifties and sixties. Also I found it pretty easy to find large lots in the 100-200k price range and also easy to find more of a somewhat rural feel. Not country exactly, but definitely not cookie cutter suburbia either. Like so - https://goo.gl/maps/T6Wp8vvP9Gq

Shopping is fairly decent, not a problem to get your daily needs. If you like more upscale or specialty type things you would probably need to go to JC or beyond.
Restaurants are a mix of chain places, decent mom and pop hole in the walls, and a handful of 'nice' places for the most part. Not too much in the way of ethnic food other than basic Mexican and Japanese/Chinese.

Lots of fairs, festivals, outdoor concerts, a drive in theater, stuff going on at the paramount theater downtown, the library offers some stuff to do like speakers and such, some of the downtown businesses offer things to do like pottery painting, etc. There are things to do if you look for them. You would probably also need to go to nearby areas like JC and Abingdon if you like to stay busy with 'activities' all the time. (My co- worker does a lot of kayaking in the area, no idea about it myself, but it's there, lol!)

Medical care should be easy enough, Bristol has the regional medical center which is adequate for my needs. JC and Kingsport both have plenty of facilities. I have heard a few people on the forum say that finding new doctors can be a bit of a challenge so checking out what your options are that are compatible with whatever type of coverage you have is probably a really good idea too.

Traffic is a breeze except for a few minor inconveniences here and there ( I don't even find race traffic to be that bad) and crime is not much of an issue IMO.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:54 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Excellent, I just mapped from Bristol to Tri regional and it's 30 miles. Very cool. Well, this is the answer to that question! :-)
Seems more like 10 - 20 miles. Maybe you saw 30 minutes.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:27 AM

Double T good information there, thank you.
Rccrain You are right it was 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol