Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 5,634 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I have been stalking this forum among others with regards to the RN salaries in the East TN, specifically the JC / tri-cities area. Can anyone give me up-to-date info? I'm currently a 5 year RN with ICU / progressive care / psych / long term care experience. I have seen anything ranging from $19 - 27!? That's a huge gap! I currently live in Memphis and have become accustomed to my present salary ($60-75k per year, depending when / if I want to work extra). We are wanting to relocate within the next two years. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 03:30 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndsaypyles View Post
Hi folks,

I have been stalking this forum among others with regards to the RN salaries in the East TN, specifically the JC / tri-cities area. Can anyone give me up-to-date info? I'm currently a 5 year RN with ICU / progressive care / psych / long term care experience. I have seen anything ranging from $19 - 27!? That's a huge gap! I currently live in Memphis and have become accustomed to my present salary ($60-75k per year, depending when / if I want to work extra). We are wanting to relocate within the next two years. Thanks in advance!

I thought zip code 38654 was in Mississippi next to Southaven....

To make 60k you'd have to make ~$29 per hour with no OT...

Old 10-02-2016, 04:06 PM

Yes, 38654 is Olive Branch, 0.5 miles from Memphis which is where I work. My hourly is over $29, I am a weekender and occasionally pick up an extra day or two. I am specifically wanting to know what RN's in the tri-cities area are making currently.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:07 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
You likely won't make that here.

The $18/$19-hr is for the starting salaries at the two largest hospital chains. Keep in mind those chains are merging, so there is likely to be lower wages going forward i the Tri-Cities.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:09 PM

That's really sad considering what nurses do I was hoping the pay info was outdated!

Old 10-02-2016, 05:59 PM

If you have experience, you'll probably make more. I think that's the starting salary for out of school.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:58 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
That's really sad considering what nurses do I was hoping the pay info was outdated!
Come again? What does what nurses do and being outdated have to do with anything? The entire region pays lower for all jobs than Memphis. You should check out salary wizard.com so that you have a realistic expectation of cost of living and equitable rates of pay.

Also, you really should consider talking to the Nurse Recruiter at the local hospitals. There are threads on this subject already on the forum. I have posted before on this subject with expert information.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Come again? What does what nurses do and being outdated have to do with anything? The entire region pays lower for all jobs than Memphis. You should check out salary wizard.com so that you have a realistic expectation of cost of living and equitable rates of pay.

Also, you really should consider talking to the Nurse Recruiter at the local hospitals. There are threads on this subject already on the forum. I have posted before on this subject with expert information.

Outdated referring to pay. It has a LOT to do with what nurses do, changes in charting, advances in technology, keeping up with diseases, rules, regulations etc. I don't think the pay of $23/hr for a floor nurse with 5 years experience in ANY hospital is up-to-date or fair. There are backwoods hospitals in towns with a population of less than 30k paying the same nurse close to $40/hour. The dismal pay that nurses in certain areas of East TN make IS outdated, even with a somewhat lower COL.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Outdated referring to pay. It has a LOT to do with what nurses do, changes in charting, advances in technology, keeping up with diseases, rules, regulations etc. I don't think the pay of $23/hr for a floor nurse with 5 years experience in ANY hospital is up-to-date or fair. There are backwoods hospitals in towns with a population of less than 30k paying the same nurse close to $40/hour. The dismal pay that nurses in certain areas of East TN make IS outdated, even with a somewhat lower COL.
I think it's low, but unless you bring a certain skillset/out of area salary with you, it's basically take it or leave, unfortunately.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
Currently, there is a nursing shortage in the region. You might get signed on at a higher rate and possibly a signing bonus right now. Local hospitals are paying big $ for traveling nurses and are still shorthanded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
View detailed profiles of: