Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I agree. The Kingsport Mall needs to be imagined and re-integrated into the City. The basis of that development would be connecting the parcel into the street grid of the City and zoning the area for multiple uses in close combination, such as apartments, townhomes, or small single-family homes, along with smaller-scale retail. That's a long-term project, but Kingsport has nothing but time and not much to lose.

Here's one idea to illustrate what I mean. The red is streets.

Also, doesn't Kingsport have a Main Street Pizza?
There was actually an article in the Times-News today about the owner of the mall's plans for redevelopment of the facility which involves renovating the interior and how he will be seeking a PILOT agreement or other incentives from the city to fund the work.

I really like the idea of demolishing the mall and extending the existing street network through the property. I think the site would have been perfect for the aquatic center and YMCA due to its proximity to neighborhoods and downtown.

I also find it interesting how Kingsport acts like it is direct competition with Johnson City when Kingsport has nearly 15,000 fewer residents. At one point in time 40-50 years ago, the two cities were nearly the same size and Kingsport actually was the retail center of the region and had the most wealth. Things have changed a lot since then but I think the city's leadership is still longing for the good old days and views the city very differently than many outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 02:09 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
There was actually an article in the Times-News today about the owner of the mall's plans for redevelopment of the facility which involves renovating the interior and how he will be seeking a PILOT agreement or other incentives from the city to fund the work.

I really like the idea of demolishing the mall and extending the existing street network through the property. I think the site would have been perfect for the aquatic center and YMCA due to its proximity to neighborhoods and downtown.

I also find it interesting how Kingsport acts like it is direct competition with Johnson City when Kingsport has nearly 15,000 fewer residents. At one point in time 40-50 years ago, the two cities were nearly the same size and Kingsport actually was the retail center of the region and had the most wealth. Things have changed a lot since then but I think the city's leadership is still longing for the good old days and views the city very differently than many outsiders.
To me, the Y's location is frustrating. It's out of the way, especially by those who don't/can't drive, and the Aquatic Center was supposed to replace the old Legion Pool, which was centrally located in town. Given the Aquatic Center's cost and relative isolation, I doubt it receives anywhere near the visits Legion had.

I'm not sure how much extending the street network through the property would do. There are houses along Warpath on the one side of the mall. Not sure what would be put in the space where the mall now stands between Warpath and 126.

A major part of the area's issues boils down to the fact that the Tri-Cities compete against each other - they do not cooperate. Kingsport wants to one-up Johnson City, but it's really in no position to be competitive these days. Even when I was a kid twenty years ago, Johnson City had the first of everything and the higher end "stuff." That gap has only widened over the last decade or so as Johnson City and Bristol, to a lesser extent, have reinvested in their downtown and attracted various development. Kingsport feels stagnant and dated by comparison.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how much extending the street network through the property would do. There are houses along Warpath on the one side of the mall. Not sure what would be put in the space where the mall now stands between Warpath and 126.
Land use decides desirability - as you pointed out with the Aquatic Center and Y. The mall's development pattern is outdated and unappealing. This still works in very select locations, such as the Mall at Johnson City, which, despite being suburban in development pattern, still holds sway due to the clientele, selection of stores, and proximity to huge economic drivers such as ETSU and JCMC. But most of the suburban style malls are dead or will be dead within a decade or two.

For most malls of this type, the key to regaining the optimum use of the land is to densify and reconnect. The entire mall would not have to be torn down, simply re-engineered and daylighted. No one wants to walk the equivalent of six city blocks in a giant commercial building to reach Auntie Ann's, or the Hallmark Store, or Yankee Candle. They want to ride their bike there, or walk there, or park on the street (or in a garage) and stroll the streets.

This is a pretty interesting presentation from Ellen Dunham-Jones, who wrote one of the seminal guidebooks on how to approach suburban developments and re-engineer them for the modern era.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:31 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
"No one wants to walk the equivalent of six city blocks in a giant commercial building to reach Auntie Ann's, or the Hallmark Store, or Yankee Candle."

Yet they seem to be willing to do so at the strip malls being built --- in the rain, snow, heat, and humidity. I like the food court, the kids play area, the weatherproof-ness, the safety of not dragging kids from parking lot to parking lot.

I wish indoor malls would become more of a one-stop for everything you might need. Groceries, clothing, sports, fitness facilities, technology, etc. Basically, if I need it, I can go to this one roof to get it. Maybe even offer child-watching services that are discounted or free based on the amount of your purchases.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:39 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
"No one wants to walk the equivalent of six city blocks in a giant commercial building to reach Auntie Ann's, or the Hallmark Store, or Yankee Candle."

Yet they seem to be willing to do so at the strip malls being built --- in the rain, snow, heat, and humidity. I like the food court, the kids play area, the weatherproof-ness, the safety of not dragging kids from parking lot to parking lot.

I wish indoor malls would become more of a one-stop for everything you might need. Groceries, clothing, sports, fitness facilities, technology, etc. Basically, if I need it, I can go to this one roof to get it. Maybe even offer child-watching services that are discounted or free based on the amount of your purchases.
I don't thin malls themselves are the problem. Small town malls that I've been, across numerous states, seem to be struggling. The premier mall in a small area, like the JC mall, or nicer malls in major metros seem to be doing fine.

In cold climates, the lifestyle center thing gets old quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol