Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,125 times

Advertisements

Love the tri cities,all close enough that making my home anywhere in the area is ok with me. Air quality is my quality of life,can any locals weigh in please? Every search is dated or vague n I know as in all areas certain places will have less circulation, higher plant or factory particulates etc. It's hard to get a real answer when one side swears all is perfect n the other is doom n gloom lol! Any allergy sufferers or folks with lung issues? Thx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I don't know of any recent studies.

I work in Kingsport. It is generally not bad, though the smell from Eastman can wear on you at times. When I worked at Eastman, that bothered my asthma, even in the building. Otherwise, it has not been a problem.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:03 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Wunderground has a daily air quality rating and a pollen alert. Daughter has diminished lung capacity and only had issues this past summer when there was a lot of smoke covering the area from the wildfires. Sinus and allergy OTC meds are pretty darn popular here though.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:56 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times
This is practically the allergy capital of the US.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:51 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
This is practically the allergy capital of the US.
Yes, and while a lot of work has been done on air quality by the local plants; the area is known for air quality issues. The doctors "joke" that if they had $5 for every (mostly benign) lung nodules that they see on a chest x-ray or CT Scan due to the air quality in the region and what people are breathing in, that they could retire at a very young age.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:39 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Ten years ago I found a website where I could compare the air quality of one area to another. I entered Kingsport vs the worst air I know of, Philadelphia, PA. I was shocked to see that Philadelphia had better air quality.
I suggest you find a similar website and run your own comparison as mine was ten years ago.
IMO, there is another factor for lung issues here in TN and that is the high number of smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol