Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 04:01 PM

26,857 posts, read 43,334,989 times

Advertisements

After a few years of evaluating varying cities in the area (Asheville, Hendersonville, Knoxville) it has come into focus that I have a job transfer opportunity to Johnson City possibly sometime over the next several months. I currently live in Central Florida (near Orlando) and have no real current attachments anymore with no remaining living family and quite frankly rather dislike much of it. The climate aspect would improve considerably along with scenery and outdoor activity, my only real concern is losing some of the more progressive foodies aspects like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods etc and a more open transient population not as open to newcomers perhaps...though I do realize ETSU probably has some affect on that not happening. I'm also in my later 50s and a Gay male though find in most places in the 21st Century that's not an issue anymore, nor is a nightlife scene but having some presence of LGBT folks would be a good thing. Thoughts from transplants...and locals? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 06:34 PM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
After a few years of evaluating varying cities in the area (Asheville, Hendersonville, Knoxville) it has come into focus that I have a job transfer opportunity to Johnson City possibly sometime over the next several months. I currently live in Central Florida (near Orlando) and have no real current attachments anymore with no remaining living family and quite frankly rather dislike much of it. The climate aspect would improve considerably along with scenery and outdoor activity, my only real concern is losing some of the more progressive foodies aspects like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods etc and a more open transient population not as open to newcomers perhaps...though I do realize ETSU probably has some affect on that not happening. I'm also in my later 50s and a Gay male though find in most places in the 21st Century that's not an issue anymore, nor is a nightlife scene but having some presence of LGBT folks would be a good thing. Thoughts from transplants...and locals? Thanks!
On iPad, ignore typos.

I’m assuming the employment is definite and the money works, correct? What is your housing budget, and are you looking to buy or rent? Keep in mind that Johnson city is basically equivalent cost of living to slightly higher than Knoxville spending on what you’re looking for. JC cost of living is nowhere near WNC yet. However, SFH inventory below $150k within city limits is virtually nonexistent.

I live in Johnson City, and my office just moved there this week. I went to college at ETSU in the late 2000s. Previously, I lived and worked in Kingsport. I moved to JC last year. Johnson City has made notable progress Over the last five years or so, especially with its downtown and becoming the premiere city in the local area. Downtown was basically dead ten years ago, but has a lot of amenities now.

I now work near downtown. I was changed from work clothes and on the Tweetsie Trail, a “rails to trails” project into the east next town over, in ten minutes. I walked 2.5 miles and was at a restaurant for happy hour at 6. I’m now at a nearby brewery. Everything is relatively crowded. Johnson City has a pretty good dining and drinking scene for a town of this size. Unfortunately, it is not at the level of Asheville, but it just suffers from unfortunate placement in that regard. It more than punches above its weight among most cities this size.

The nearest Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s are in Asheville. Johnson City does have an Earthfare, Fresh Market, a decent Kroger, Aldi, and several smaller natural, speciality, or ethnic grocers. Food prices are high and selection is poor and a regional grocer (Food City) dominates. I try to avoid Food City for anything but alcohol. I lived in Iowa and Indiana for five years. The grocery stores and farmers markets here are lousy compared to the Midwest. If you’re not fine with Aldi, Sams, and Kroger, you will be going to Asheville or Knoxville for groceries. Groceries are one of my biggest complaints.

JC is becoming more liberal, diverse, and cosmopolitan, but it is not a blue city or in a blue county, and these changes are very recent. It does have a surprising amount of vibrancy and diversity for the area, largely due to the university and more open minded populace. Medical is consolidating in JC with the Ballad Health HQ and corporate ops mostly focused there. The affluent population in the region seems to be consolidating in Johnson City, Gray, and Jonesborough.

It won’t be a problem being gay in JC. Look in the Tree Street. It’s a liberal urban neighborhood. There is a gay bar, New Beginnings, but the gay scene is quite small. There isn’t much catering to older gay men.

Outdoor activity is excellent, mild to wild. There is some skiing in nearby WNC in winter. Hiking, mountain biking, motor boating, kayaking, fishing, are all excellent. There is sailing on Watauga Lake.

Avoid anything outside of Washington County. With the exception of some parts of Bristol, I think most of the area outside of Johnson city sucks, unless you’re looking for a specific rural lifestyle. If you want more rural, look toward Limestone and Joneborough. If you want to be in the mountains, look to Unicoi or Carter county.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 PM

677 posts, read 1,064,277 times
I think you'll like Johnson City. I would echo pretty much everything Serious said. I just have this feeling that Trader Joe's will be here in the next few years but nonetheless, Asheville is only an hour away. Johnson City is really progressing and finding its identity as a college town and an epicenter for outdoor recreation. ETSU has over 14,000 students and brings people from around the world. The medical facilities also bring their fair share of transplants.

Being gay will not be an issue at all. Johnson City has a higher than average gay population per capita and this has been the case for quite awhile from what I hear. TriPride is the local LGBTQ organization and they will be hosting the region's first pride festival and parade in downtown JC this September.

My view of Johnson City is that is provides many of the amenities and benefits of a larger city without the negatives that often accompany life in a larger city. Like Serious, I can leave work in the evening and 10 minutes later, be at the Tweetsie Trail or Tannery Knobs mountain bike park. There is a lot of information in other threads but if you can provide some more specifics, there are several of us here that can help you out.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
On iPad, ignore typos.

I’m assuming the employment is definite and the money works, correct? What is your housing budget, and are you looking to buy or rent? Keep in mind that Johnson city is basically equivalent cost of living to slightly higher than Knoxville spending on what you’re looking for. JC cost of living is nowhere near WNC yet. However, SFH inventory below $150k within city limits is virtually nonexistent.

I live in Johnson City, and my office just moved there this week. I went to college at ETSU in the late 2000s. Previously, I lived and worked in Kingsport. I moved to JC last year. Johnson City has made notable progress Over the last five years or so, especially with its downtown and becoming the premiere city in the local area. Downtown was basically dead ten years ago, but has a lot of amenities now.

I now work near downtown. I was changed from work clothes and on the Tweetsie Trail, a “rails to trails” project into the east next town over, in ten minutes. I walked 2.5 miles and was at a restaurant for happy hour at 6. I’m now at a nearby brewery. Everything is relatively crowded. Johnson City has a pretty good dining and drinking scene for a town of this size. Unfortunately, it is not at the level of Asheville, but it just suffers from unfortunate placement in that regard. It more than punches above its weight among most cities this size.

The nearest Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s are in Asheville. Johnson City does have an Earthfare, Fresh Market, a decent Kroger, Aldi, and several smaller natural, speciality, or ethnic grocers. Food prices are high and selection is poor and a regional grocer (Food City) dominates. I try to avoid Food City for anything but alcohol. I lived in Iowa and Indiana for five years. The grocery stores and farmers markets here are lousy compared to the Midwest. If you’re not fine with Aldi, Sams, and Kroger, you will be going to Asheville or Knoxville for groceries. Groceries are one of my biggest complaints.

JC is becoming more liberal, diverse, and cosmopolitan, but it is not a blue city or in a blue county, and these changes are very recent. It does have a surprising amount of vibrancy and diversity for the area, largely due to the university and more open minded populace. Medical is consolidating in JC with the Ballad Health HQ and corporate ops mostly focused there. The affluent population in the region seems to be consolidating in Johnson City, Gray, and Jonesborough.

It won’t be a problem being gay in JC. Look in the Tree Street. It’s a liberal urban neighborhood. There is a gay bar, New Beginnings, but the gay scene is quite small. There isn’t much catering to older gay men.

Outdoor activity is excellent, mild to wild. There is some skiing in nearby WNC in winter. Hiking, mountain biking, motor boating, kayaking, fishing, are all excellent. There is sailing on Watauga Lake.

Avoid anything outside of Washington County. With the exception of some parts of Bristol, I think most of the area outside of Johnson city sucks, unless you’re looking for a specific rural lifestyle. If you want more rural, look toward Limestone and Joneborough. If you want to be in the mountains, look to Unicoi or Carter county.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
Thanks for you well though out response! The employment is most likely definite but if not will have very sizable funds available after selling my home here, and will rent in JC. I'm considering a loft unit downtown perhaps or a small bungalow in the Tree Streets neighborhood with a budget around $900-$950 for two bedrooms. Good to hear about Eatth Fare as I know them well from Asheville, and would probably do most of my shopping there along with Kroger and here/there at Fresh Market. I'm not much of a bar person anymore and tend to like entertaining at home and will get involved locally volunteering, etc to meet like minded folks.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
I think you'll like Johnson City. I would echo pretty much everything Serious said. I just have this feeling that Trader Joe's will be here in the next few years but nonetheless, Asheville is only an hour away. Johnson City is really progressing and finding its identity as a college town and an epicenter for outdoor recreation. ETSU has over 14,000 students and brings people from around the world. The medical facilities also bring their fair share of transplants.

Being gay will not be an issue at all. Johnson City has a higher than average gay population per capita and this has been the case for quite awhile from what I hear. TriPride is the local LGBTQ organization and they will be hosting the region's first pride festival and parade in downtown JC this September.

My view of Johnson City is that is provides many of the amenities and benefits of a larger city without the negatives that often accompany life in a larger city. Like Serious, I can leave work in the evening and 10 minutes later, be at the Tweetsie Trail or Tannery Knobs mountain bike park. There is a lot of information in other threads but if you can provide some more specifics, there are several of us here that can help you out.

Good to hear about the gay community, as well as formation of the first Pride event. I like what I'm hearing so far and appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2018, 08:31 AM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks for you well though out response! The employment is most likely definite but if not will have very sizable funds available after selling my home here, and will rent in JC. I'm considering a loft unit downtown perhaps or a small bungalow in the Tree Streets neighborhood with a budget around $900-$950 for two bedrooms. Good to hear about Eatth Fare as I know them well from Asheville, and would probably do most of my shopping there along with Kroger and here/there at Fresh Market. I'm not much of a bar person anymore and tend to like entertaining at home and will get involved locally volunteering, etc to meet like minded folks.
Your biggest issue with living downtown is the train. There are lofts available in that price range, but there are trains going through downtown and I think it would be obnoxious. You might be able to rent in the Tree Streets for that, but prices in Johnson City are rising because it is really the only desirable town in the general area.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM

506 posts, read 1,464,091 times
As usual, Serious C is pretty much on point, although I find the grocery store selection quite good in the Tri-Cities for its size. I do agree the prices are higher.

JC is going to be a small town compared to Orlando, especially as it goes for the LGBT community.

I love JC, but a lot of it is kind of full of chains and urban sprawl without a lot of local character. Downtown is coming up, but still has a ways to go. The vibe in Asheville is not going to be paralleled in JC. Asheville is definitely more a fun, progressive town with more like-minded folks, but also a lot more expensive.

You will definitely have much more outdoor activities and that is one of my favorite parts of the area.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,258,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Your biggest issue with living downtown is the train. There are lofts available in that price range, but there are trains going through downtown and I think it would be obnoxious. You might be able to rent in the Tree Streets for that, but prices in Johnson City are rising because it is really the only desirable town in the general area.

I used to live with railroad tracks behind me and a train coming thru at different hours and I got so used to it, I barely even noticed it.

This was out in the country in a singlewide trailer with thin walls.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:04 PM

15,965 posts, read 20,923,733 times
After years of my daughter telling me she was going to move back to Memphis because this area was too dull (NOT an outdoorsy person at all) she told me this week that she likes the area of JC she moved to well enough that she could see herself staying on for the foreseeable future. I know it doesn't sound like much of a compliment to JC, but knowing my daughter I consider it to be high praise indeed. I think it's because it's big enough to have almost everything she wants, yet small enough that getting to everything is really convenient.

She also has busy train tracks across the street from her apt and it doesn't seem to bother her at, I think it just depends on the person.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:47 PM

16 posts, read 17,225 times
@kyle I’m in the same boat. Considering JC or Knox. Through my research I’ve discovered all the things people have mentioned here. I’ve stayed in JC twice in the past three months and I’ll be going again in Nov. and I’m visiting Knox as well. Have you decided anything yet? Just curious since this post is from a few months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol