Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 PM

46 posts, read 179,211 times

Advertisements

I've posted a few threads here about going house-hunting in the tri-cities area and I wanted to thank everyone for the positive responses I received...they, and this entire forum, have been very helpful to us.

After spending 2 weeks in Tennessee and driving our Realtor crazy by driving us around viewing ~8 houses a day in the tri-cities area (although she was a paragon of patience, ), ....

We chose a house in Kingsport...kind of! It is in one of those little 'globs' on the map called Kingsport, but not touching 'Kingsport-proper' at all. Really, the house is in/near Colonial Heights, but our area has been annexed into KP.

We first visited Maryville and decided that area wasn't for us (although we ate at a TERRIFIC restaurant, "Sullivan's"). After driving around both Kingsport and Johnson City, we just felt more 'comfortable' with Kingsport, although the entire tri-cities area is beautiful, each city had its positives and negatives. It was also the first time I had eaten at a "Cheddars"...don't know if they are local or a national chain...but it was wonderful.

It was so fantastic to see all of the green pasture land in Tennessee--totally unlike Arizona--and the hills and moutains. We drove all around Kingsport, Johnson City, Jonesborough (where we had our anniversary dinner), Elizabethton (great pics of the covered bridge), Bristol, and even had time for a beautiful drive to Boone, NC, after a rain left the moutains covered in mist (almost 'smoky-like' you might say! lol).

It did rain all but 2-3 days we were there, but that was okay. The only other 'problem' was I found myself starting to use a southern accent after only a few days there! lol.

Our new house should close in May and we'll be moving to Kingsport soon thereafter. Now we begin the VERY onerous task of packing and deciding what to keep and what to toss!

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
I am so pleased that you have made a decision! Congratulations! I think you will be very happy in Kingsport! Wishing you a wonderful, safe and easy move! Please keep us posted.

SMG

Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Congratulations! That is a very nice area, you and I will be somewhat of neighbors.
Keep us posted and enjoy the process as much as possible.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,253 times
Look out for those Eastman Chemical smells that inundate the Kingsport area.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Don't worry, picking up a Southern accent isn't a problem, rather an asset.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 AM

227 posts, read 720,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAZTeacher View Post
The only other 'problem' was I found myself starting to use a southern accent after only a few days there! lol.
Careful..... you'll be drinking Pals sweat tea next!!! Welcome to Tennessee, Y'all

Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Congratulations and welcome to Kingsport! I think you'll love your lives here, just holler if I can be of any assistance w/ information on your new environs.

As you know by now, Colonial Heights is an extremely convenient area giving you quick access to downtown Kingsport (<10 min.), Johnson City (20 min.), Bristol (20 min.), the airport (<10 min.), and Asheville (75-80 min.). Some good restaurants in your new neck of the woods, an excellent grocery store w/ Ingles, plus you have Warriors Path State Park right next door for walking, hiking, boating, golf, etc. You'll also be near the best (and biggest) blackberry-pickin' area I've ever seen! Great choice overall, IMO.

FWIW, I drive through Colonial Heights at least once a week and have never even caught a whiff of Eastman there.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 AM

46 posts, read 179,211 times
We did enjoy a Pal's tea while we were there. From reading this forum, I thought Pal's might be hard to find, but they are everywhere!

williboy--We stayed 4 days in Kingsport to see if we noticed a smell problem. The only time we smelled anything 'bad' was when we drove on Industrial Dr/St? where we smelled the paper plant and Eastman plant. The paper plant (mill?) was sulfur-stinking but Eastman was chemically...like the smell you get when you use an Polaroid camera and pull off the black part of the pic.

kamoshiko--the blackberry pickin' area you mentioned...is that everywhere or a specific area? Sounds like a fun thing to do. In Arizona, we'd go blackberry picking in the Sedona Oak Creek Canyon until it became too dangerous with all the traffic.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Quote:
williboy--We stayed 4 days in Kingsport to see if we noticed a smell problem. The only time we smelled anything 'bad' was when we drove on Industrial Dr/St? where we smelled the paper plant and Eastman plant. The paper plant (mill?) was sulfur-stinking but Eastman was chemically...like the smell you get when you use an Polaroid camera and pull off the black part of the pic.
On Industry Drive, the real olfactory offenders are Domtar (paper mill) and the wastewater treatment plant. Measures will soon be taken to curtail most of the wastewater foulness.

Quote:
kamoshiko--the blackberry pickin' area you mentioned...is that everywhere or a specific area? Sounds like a fun thing to do.
Yes, it's of my favorite summer activities. It tends to be hot, sweaty & scratchy but the rewards are worth it, IMO. I'll send you a PM on the location.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
I've posted a few threads here about going house-hunting in the tri-cities area and I wanted to thank everyone for the positive responses I received...they, and this entire forum, have been very helpful to us.

After spending 2 weeks in Tennessee and driving our Realtor crazy by driving us around viewing ~8 houses a day in the tri-cities area (although she was a paragon of patience, ), ....

We chose a house in Kingsport...kind of! It is in one of those little 'globs' on the map called Kingsport, but not touching 'Kingsport-proper' at all. Really, the house is in/near Colonial Heights, but our area has been annexed into KP.

We first visited Maryville and decided that area wasn't for us (although we ate at a TERRIFIC restaurant, "Sullivan's"). After driving around both Kingsport and Johnson City, we just felt more 'comfortable' with Kingsport, although the entire tri-cities area is beautiful, each city had its positives and negatives. It was also the first time I had eaten at a "Cheddars"...don't know if they are local or a national chain...but it was wonderful.

It was so fantastic to see all of the green pasture land in Tennessee--totally unlike Arizona--and the hills and moutains. We drove all around Kingsport, Johnson City, Jonesborough (where we had our anniversary dinner), Elizabethton (great pics of the covered bridge), Bristol, and even had time for a beautiful drive to Boone, NC, after a rain left the moutains covered in mist (almost 'smoky-like' you might say! lol).

It did rain all but 2-3 days we were there, but that was okay. The only other 'problem' was I found myself starting to use a southern accent after only a few days there! lol.

Our new house should close in May and we'll be moving to Kingsport soon thereafter. Now we begin the VERY onerous task of packing and deciding what to keep and what to toss!

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Congratulations on deciding to move to Tennessee. I will be retiring in Tennessee in 6 to 7 years. I already have property in Monterey, TN. Like you, I found the folks in the Tennessee forums very helpful. I learned a lot from them. Yes, the green hills and mountains of Tennessee are beautiful. Since I am originally from the south, picking up that southern accent again is a certainty for me. I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol