U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 AM

68 posts, read 171,292 times
Default Maybe Soon

Just got back from the great area of the tri-citys . Based our stay at the Americin Inn in Jonesborough . Great place to stay while visiting the area . We were here for about 2 weeks . Toured the whole east side of Tennessee , from Dandridge , up through Mountain City . The area that looks like home to us , is the Chuckey , Limestone area . We liked the openess of rolling land . Another plus , is we want rural property , without being ontop of the neigboring house . Lots of creeks , and wouldn't mind being by the Nolichuckey River . Truly loved the whole area of tri citys though . But We do want rural . The main reason , is We live in a mobile home gated community in Florida . Do not want to hear the neighbors telephones and televisions anymore . Also need to get back to having a real vegetable garden again . The soil looked good were we looked . I will write back on what other things impressed us about Beautiful Tennessee .
Forgot to say ! , We are waiting for this place to sell in Florida , have dropped the price to our lowest , so maybe soon .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,914,850 times
Congrats, I think you definitely made the right choice. I grew up in Afton (the east side, right on the Chuckey line) and it is definitely where my 'soul' feels the most alive. Chuckey, Afton, Horse Creek, Greystone, Rock Batter, and Camp Creek are, hands down, the most friendly, beautiful places in TN.

Guess I shouldn't be letting the secret out, eh?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 AM

355 posts, read 544,697 times
I drove through the Afton area for the first time yesterday. Very nice!

One thought on your home sale. Instead of lowering the price to your lowest, why not raise it to market value and increase the sales commission? What you need is real estate agents interested in showing your house to prospective buyers. What about your house is better/different enough to make an agent go out of their way (or to put your house on their must see list for every prospective buyer they have)?

If I'm lining up houses to show for my buyers that are in your price range, I'd rather show a house where the commission split will be 10% or even 20% then a house where the split will be 5%. I'm human...there's more money to be made.

You can always negotiate but you've got to get feet moving in your direction instead of elsewhere. It's a tough market...you've got to stand out. If your house is just a house, what better way then getting the attention of the agents who are the real "go-getters" in your market?

Good luck with the sale.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,523,892 times
We live a little closer toward Jonesborough in Telford, but I agree that you're looking at a very nice area. I love the area from Jonesborough all the way to Greeneville and down 107 or 81 to Embreeville.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:09 AM

Thanks to all ,for the encouragment on finding the right area .
Williboy, I have been reading Your comments on this forum , and knew You lived in Telford . We loved Downtown Jonesborough . Had dinner at the Bistro . First class place , and will definatly be back . We also like the areas, that You stated . The Amish store on Hwy 107 was a neat store also .
jabogitlu , It really is something that this area grabs the soul and says , make me your home,lol . Found everyone real friendly . Had some great coversations with local people . Most people were open and welcoming us towards looking to move here .
ijay42, We live in a gated community , that has it's own reality company . They run open houses on the weekends . during the week they will show homes . Trouble is there are over 960 homes in My community . There is over 100 homes for sale now . When people come into the Park , reality just shows people a book , with all listings , with pictures , The people tell the reality to tell them what they want look at . We can get outside realitors , but being a gated community they have a monoply . We have had a showing maybe once a month or every other one . Homes are selling , but real slow .

Old 04-13-2008, 11:49 AM

I do understand...but if it was my home I would do it my way. And I certainly wouldn't leave the sale of my home in the hands of the people/process you outlined above. In a down market you need full time aggressive sales people who want to SELL YOUR home. Your typical part time show and tell real estate person won't get the job done unless somebody just shows up and wants to buy your house over the hundreds (or thousands) on the market in your area. You have to have an edge.

Either way I hope everything works out for you.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,445,109 times
I'm buying 26 acres near Chuckey on 107, I just hope that I can then actually afford to build a home without having to sell off a chunk of it. The Chuckey/Limeston/Telford area is beautiful, I drove around all day today, nice.

As to selling the house, I'd cut the price and increase the commission, of course any realtor that shows a home due to commission rate is unethical and could/should lose their license. Price is what is selling right now, and in FL especially that price is getting LOWER, not higher each day that passes. See what is price point is selling and market the home 10% below that. Might you leave some money on the table, perhaps. Might the market continue to sink and you eventually sell for less anyway, almost guaranteed.

Good luck

Tony

p.s. even prices here in TN are dropping.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
of course any realtor that shows a home due to commission rate is unethical and could/should lose their license.

Nonsense. Unless you (as a buyer) contract with a buyers agent, every agent for every agency is contracted to work for the seller. If there are 100 houses in my neighborhood and they all meet the basic requirements of a buyer that contacted me, I can show them any house I like.

Commission is what it's all about and a higher commission opportunity attracts more attention from aggressive agents that want to sell. There's nothing unethical about making more money by selling the house offering a higher commission.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Thank You on the Realtor advise , but I believe this thread is going off track. I know I can sell here eventually.
Back to the Chuckey area , We found it easy to commute to Johnson City , for shopping etc. Hwy. 11E always seemed to be free of any heavy traffic . Did like the Restaurant selection , and most major shopping venues . Like most who look around the area to relocate , We found it relaxing . People may be slower in restaurant and business places . That is what makes it feel good . Florida and even Michigan , seemed to be hurry or get out of my way attitude most of the time . I also liked the many differnt places to go fishing . Did not see a lot of wildlife , while there , but it looks like an outdoor paradise.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,523,892 times
Dinner at The Bistro is always a good idea. Glad to hear you had a nice visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol