U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,429 times

Advertisements

I'm a Tennessee native (Wartburg), but moved to the Minneapolis area about 12 years ago. Now my husband is retiring, and we're looking to move back to Tennessee.

We're looking in the Erwin - Mountain City - Gray - Butler area, and potentially even a bit farther south (Cosby). We'd like to be close enough to the city to enjoy the conveniences occasionally, but far enough out to see mountains and trees from at least a few of our windows, rather than seeing our neighbors' windows looking back at us. We'd also like a good internet connection, and an area with low crime -- as well as somewhere we can get involved in the community to some extent.

Can anyone familiar with the areas offer any insight about the areas, or any gems we might have missed looking at that mountainous area right along the NE border?
Rate this post positively

Old 06-27-2019, 11:19 AM

466 posts, read 1,228,498 times
Mountain City & Butler are in very rural Johnson County. You may not be able to get high speed internet in several places there. I grew up in Greeneville (a still fairly rural town), and we had a saying about Mountain City that "you can't even get there from here."

Speaking of Greeneville, I would recommend looking at Greene County, particularly the communities of Afton & Chuckey. It is rural but close enough to town for the conveniences (and high speed internet). Although that part of Greene County is not in the mountains, you are a short drive away, and the mountain views are gorgeous.

Erwin would also be a good fit between convenience (fairly close to Johnson City/Jonesborough) & mountainous. I'm not sure about the high speed internet there.

Gray is probably going to be too suburb-y with too many neighbors.

Maybe also look at Elizabethton and other communities in Carter County.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 PM

80 posts, read 79,008 times
I live on the outskirts of Elizabethton (no city taxes). It takes me six minutes to get to the hospital and less than fifteen minutes to get to Johnson City. I have no problem with my high speed internet and have two cell towers in my line of sight. Depending on where you locate the mountain views can be spectacular.

In driving around I noticed some dead spots for my Sirius radio - mainly in what I would call 'hollers'.

Being from Tennessee, you already know it's conservative which might be a culture shock in moving from Minnesota. People are very friendly here and its not unusual to stop and have conversations with them while you're out and about.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:36 AM

29,611 posts, read 22,538,018 times
Erwin has gigabit internet through Erwin Utilities.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

6,528 posts, read 14,929,782 times
Take a look at Carter County (Elizabethton) - particular in the Stoney Creek area. Not a bad drive into Johnson City and also not far to I-26 so you could easily head down to Asheville for an adventure day.

I also like the suggestion of Afton and Chuckey in Greene County. The area around Highways 107 (aka Erwin Highway) and 351 (aka Chuckey Pike) are beautiful and rural.

Mountain City and Butler are much more remote. I think you can get what you want, without being that remote. Unless of course you really do wanna be /out there/... have you visited these areas yet?

Also, your point about community feel, and being an active part of the community - the easiest way to do this in Northeast Tennessee is through a church. If you aren't particularly religious, it's still do-able, but you may want to examine locating yourself a bit closer to Johnson City (say, Jonesborough?) for some opportunities there.

Old Today, 01:22 PM

852 posts, read 436,250 times
In addition, many in the Erwin area are heavily involved with church, although not so much on our end (maybe go a few times per year). Hasn’t stopped us one bit from making good friends here and all of our neighbors are awesome as well.

Church does come up on occasion in conversation but not to the extent of becoming annoying. Can say that people here can seem a bit more reserved, but the usual friendly hello or ice breaker conversation starter usually opens a flood gate of talking (which we love), so don’t be in a hurry if you start up a conversation with someone.

Old Today, 07:33 PM

15,887 posts, read 29,264,596 times
A troll resurrected this old thread. That post has been deleted. The OP has not returned. I will leave the kind replies to the troll's post for future reading but lock the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol