Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,993,658 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've just returned from my first trip to the Tri-cities area, Johnson city area mainly. Man that place is a lot bigger than I thought. A lot of new construction going on, a lot of expansion in the area. I also drove through Greenville - nice, Jonesbourough - old, Johnson City - sprawling, Elizabethon - nice.

Overall the area is nice, but I was disappointed in the home prices - high. About as high as WNC from what I saw. I made an offer on 3 homes on 15 ac in Madison county, NC 4 miles from the TN line due to it's location near Asheville and the ski resorts. However, looks like I wasn't fast enough to get it, so I'm still looking for a home to roam.

I only spent 2 days looking around TN, I had a tendency to stay closer to NC as that's where I'm most familiar (grew up there).

Overall I like E. TN, but was surprised on how spread out it is and how expensive the homes and land is.

Nice place though, may wind up there, just need to get more used to the area I suppose.

Tony in WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 10:58 PM

359 posts, read 1,629,674 times
Johnson City has about 50,000 people, so it's not a small town, like some people think.

I heard years ago that upper East TN has about 1/2 million people. If you fly overhead at night, there are lights just about everywhere. It's quite amazing, as so much of our area is considered 'rural'.

It's a conundrum.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:34 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,197,880 times
And ever so crowded. That's why I stopped considering it as a place where I would like to retire. It is so beautiful, but the population will eventually hinder that even more.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:13 AM

130 posts, read 564,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
And ever so crowded. That's why I stopped considering it as a place where I would like to retire. It is so beautiful, but the population will eventually hinder that even more.
Johnson City? Crowded? Having moved here from Florida seven months ago that statement really defines the concept of relativity......

Old 12-26-2006, 09:27 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,235,098 times
Default Relativity

I agree with you Joe P, it is all relativity, I think Johnson City is large enough to hold all the amenities of a "city" but certainly not a "big city". To me, Philly, NY, Nashville, Atlanta, Jacksonville, DC, etc.....those are "big cities" with a main form of public transportation, 4 or more lanes of traffic, block after block of "city" road congestion during rush hours, traffic lights on every street corner, perpetual road construction, pay to park, etc. That is my idea of a "big city". Johnson City, or anywhere in East TN, does not fall into that category for me, but that is me. This is another good example of why it is so important to be very detailed on this board when asking about an area. Don't just ask generic questions about an area, but explain where you are coming from and what your ideas of "city life" or "rural" or "culture" are.
When I first moved to TN I thought I would LOVE to live "rural" as I was sick of traffic and angry people and no wooded land. Well, I moved to a very rural area and although at first it was nice, I got tired of driving 15 miles or more to a convenience store/gas station and 30 miles or more to a grocery store and heaven forbid if you forgot something on your list, you had to do without. I didn't realize until it was gone, the convenience aspect of life was something I preferred to have. Now that I live in the Tri-Cities area, I still enjoy the wooded land and back road community aspect, but I can get to what I need in less than 5 miles and still get to the "city amenities" in less than 20 minutes drive. That is what works for me, but may not work for others. So yes, relativity is very important when it comes to researching a new area.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,197,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Johnson City? Crowded? Having moved here from Florida seven months ago that statement really defines the concept of relativity......

I was referring to the whole eastern TN area in general. But 50,000 people in Johnson City is overcrowded to me. 1,420 people per square mile, no thank you.

Dallas, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles ~ an even bigger, "NO THANK YOU."

Old 12-26-2006, 10:47 AM

37,736 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
I was referring to the whole eastern TN area in general. But 50,000 people in Johnson City is overcrowded to me. 1,420 people per square mile, no thank you.

Dallas, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles ~ an even bigger, "NO THANK YOU."
I'm with you. People who come from big cities and go to smaller cities think you're crazy but 50,000 people is two times bigger than any place I ever lived in the last 35 years and I'd flinch, too.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:36 PM

31 posts, read 106,387 times
I live in NJ in a suberb of trenton. 8.5 million cramed into this state as of 2002 you got NYC 60 miles away to the north and Philly abt 50 miles to the south. Thats a hole lot of peoples (and most with attitudes and stressin abt something) I personaly think Johnson City is a perfect size, and more importantly a perfect pace. But over the years I have seen it building up,(Johnson City) but being from the North East it will be a welcome change. 6 days till I move to Johnson City!!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 07:22 AM

130 posts, read 564,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhome View Post
I live in NJ in a suberb of trenton. 8.5 million cramed into this state as of 2002 you got NYC 60 miles away to the north and Philly abt 50 miles to the south. Thats a hole lot of peoples (and most with attitudes and stressin abt something) I personaly think Johnson City is a perfect size, and more importantly a perfect pace. But over the years I have seen it building up,(Johnson City) but being from the North East it will be a welcome change. 6 days till I move to Johnson City!!!!
I'd agree with that........JC is about perfect sized for me too. I grew up in Ct in a town of 30K or so, then moved to Tampa which has a population of about eleventy billion, now to Johnson City which fits me well. It's big enough to have the required amenities (most importantly Starbucks!) and conveniences but small enough that you run into friends on a fairly regualr basis.

Now, if we could just get a Bass Pro Shops.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 AM

34 posts, read 129,083 times
Okay. I, for one, am from a very big city, and Tri-cities altogether is very rural for me. Here is my wish list for JC or Tri-Cities.

1. More Starbucks (This will be easy)
2. Trader Joe
3. Whole Foods
4. Dunkin' Donut
5. IKEA (the closest one is located at Atlanta)

Now, getting more unrealistic... is it not?

6. More business
7. Good colleges (I mean 'good' ones - 1st tier ones)
8. Museum
9. Passenger Railways to DC, Memphis, and Atlanta
10. Direct flight between TCRA and Northeast (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC)
11. Southwest or AirTran

Population, population, population..

Happy holidays to y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol