U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM

656 posts, read 1,363,489 times

Advertisements

When I moved away from the Tri-Cities, I had no idea that Popeye's was such a large chain. The first time I'd ever heard of it was in that movie Little Nicky that Adam Sandler kept eating it. I guess I just never paid attention to any when I was away from the area. But KFC seems to be the dominant fried chicken chain in the Tri-Cities area. But I guess that makes sense since they're based out of Kentucky. Maybe you can adjust?? There's a few Bojangle's in the area too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,575,503 times
No way to adjust, Popeye's is way better than the others. Once you've had Popeye's KFC, Bojangles, Church's and the others just lose their appeal.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 PM

9,060 posts, read 21,477,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
No way to adjust, Popeye's is way better than the others. Once you've had Popeye's KFC, Bojangles, Church's and the others just lose their appeal.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Florida Gator on something. But Popeye's really is the superior fast-food fried chicken.

And considering Popeye's is based in Atlanta, I think it's odd there aren't any locations in East Tennessee. For crying out loud, I had Popeye's when I was in Hong Kong in January!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 PM

5,551 posts, read 9,195,656 times
Just makes me glad I don't eat no fried chicken 'cept my mommas.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 PM

12,532 posts, read 18,207,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Just makes me glad I don't eat no fried chicken 'cept my mommas.
You're a good son jabogitlu. Cracker Barrel has a special on Sundays that features fried hand breaded boneless, skinless chicken breasts. It is as close to Popeye's taste around here as anything else.

If I had a nickel for every piece of chicken I have fried.........

Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 PM

354 posts, read 558,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
You're a good son jabogitlu. Cracker Barrel has a special on Sundays that features fried hand breaded boneless, skinless chicken breasts. It is as close to Popeye's taste around here as anything else.

If I had a nickel for every piece of chicken I have fried.........
CB's isn't even close. Completely different flavor profile and CB's isn't spicy. The big draw to Popeye's is not necessarily just the chicken. IMO, they have about the best biscuits around and their cajun dishes are more authentic then most "cajun" restaurants outside of Louisiana.

For chicken, Church's offers the best fried wing section because of their addition of the back 1/3 of the breast meat ..still spicy of course.

Now, if you like really spicy chicken, nothing beats nashville hot chicken like you find at Prince's Hot Chicken..in Nashville of course.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 AM

My mom, God rest her soul, fixed great fried chicken, but Popeye's was better. She even thought so because she loved it as much as the rest of us. I do believe a Popeye's store over by the hospitals and ETSU would be a real money maker. If I had the capital, I'd look into it.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM

5,551 posts, read 9,195,656 times
You've got a Bojangles over here, though. But I suppose if Popeye's is really that good (never been to one!), it could compete. Lord knows the McDonalds has enough traffic - I generally drive to the McDonalds out on Market St. rather than sit in line at the one near campus for 15 minutes! (But I really prefer the one in front of the mall. Don't ask me why! )

Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
You've got a Bojangles over here, though. But I suppose if Popeye's is really that good (never been to one!), it could compete. Lord knows the McDonalds has enough traffic - I generally drive to the McDonalds out on Market St. rather than sit in line at the one near campus for 15 minutes! (But I really prefer the one in front of the mall. Don't ask me why! )
Popeye's would definitely put a hurting on Bojangle's if they did come into the area.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:32 PM

67 posts, read 163,525 times
Oh man! I did not think about that. We are moving from Atlanta & love Popeyes. Maybe we should get our fix before we move back up there. I really doubt there is one up there. I am from there originally. I just started thinking about some of my favorite restaurants that have not ever made it to that area the other day when we found out the move was a sure thing. :-) I love Moe's Tex Mex Burritoes & fish tacos I need to find out if there is one in Johnson City. Bojangles is probably the closest you will get I agree, but still no the same. There seems to be a lot of things that are not any other place there & things that are everywhere else that are not. I guess its a trade off. At least Pals Hamburgers will ease the pain. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol