Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 05:13 PM

311 posts, read 397,957 times

Advertisements

I just heard from a very reliable source that Dicks Sporting Goods will be closing in January in Kingsport. So it looks like Kingsport once again is losing another business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 05:38 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
I just heard from a very reliable source that Dicks Sporting Goods will be closing in January in Kingsport. So it looks like Kingsport once again is losing another business.
That says more about Dick's than Kingsport IMO.

This area is just awash in sporting goods stores. Between Dick's (three of them), Dunham's, Hibbett, and Academy Sports, that's a lot of sporting good stuff. There is also some crossover between Dick's and places like Mahoney's and Bass Pro Shop.

While the area is a big market for that, I don't know how Dick's can justify a store in each city, when Dunham in Kingsport is better.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:58 PM

638 posts, read 695,942 times
Only 14 miles from the Dick's in Kingsport to the one in Bristol.

I wonder if these stores are on the list of Dick's locations that have discontinued the sale of firearms.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:13 AM

311 posts, read 397,957 times
It’s now been confirmed via the news. The store closes January 3rd.

https://wcyb.com/news/local/dicks-sp...lose-january-3

Old 12-23-2020, 09:44 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That says more about Dick's than Kingsport IMO.

This area is just awash in sporting goods stores. Between Dick's (three of them), Dunham's, Hibbett, and Academy Sports, that's a lot of sporting good stuff. There is also some crossover between Dick's and places like Mahoney's and Bass Pro Shop.

While the area is a big market for that, I don't know how Dick's can justify a store in each city, when Dunham in Kingsport is better.
This, 100%. The tri-cities area is flooded with sporting goods stores.

I was surprised Dick's lasted so long in the Kingsport location.

As you mentioned, there are so many sporting goods stores already in the area, to choose from.

However, this is a bad sign for the future of the Kingsport Pavilion. Eventually, I think Target will start to desire a better location, and Kingsport better hope they don't close up shop entirely. I think the one thing that keeps the Target store thriving in Kingsport though is that the one in Johnson City is older and smaller (for now) and the one in Bristol is just too far to travel to, and the specific area that the Bristol Target is in is also declining fast.

Does anyone know if the development signs are still up on Stone Drive on the vacant land for "Kingsport Pavilion Phase Ii"? If so, I don't know what those developers are smoking, but that is a failed concept already. The original Pavilion is bleeding stores and its future is starting to look bleak.

Now they want to open a whole new phase II strip mall? This is a concept based on "a 1995 mentality" of shopping centers. LOL

With e-commerce going strong, Kingsport fading as a shopping destination and the Pavilion declining, this concept for building a 2nd phase is ludicrous.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:43 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I didn’t see those signs and I drove by there today. With all the vacant retail space in the city, no need to really build more.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:30 PM

902 posts, read 807,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This, 100%. The tri-cities area is flooded with sporting goods stores.

I was surprised Dick's lasted so long in the Kingsport location.

As you mentioned, there are so many sporting goods stores already in the area, to choose from.

However, this is a bad sign for the future of the Kingsport Pavilion. Eventually, I think Target will start to desire a better location, and Kingsport better hope they don't close up shop entirely. I think the one thing that keeps the Target store thriving in Kingsport though is that the one in Johnson City is older and smaller (for now) and the one in Bristol is just too far to travel to, and the specific area that the Bristol Target is in is also declining fast.

Does anyone know if the development signs are still up on Stone Drive on the vacant land for "Kingsport Pavilion Phase Ii"? If so, I don't know what those developers are smoking, but that is a failed concept already. The original Pavilion is bleeding stores and its future is starting to look bleak.

Now they want to open a whole new phase II strip mall? This is a concept based on "a 1995 mentality" of shopping centers. LOL

With e-commerce going strong, Kingsport fading as a shopping destination and the Pavilion declining, this concept for building a 2nd phase is ludicrous.
Not sure what the hype has ever been over Target. Their stores seem to be borderline dingy now and seem like a modern day version of a K-Mart or Sears. Poor customer service, cheaply made merchandise and over inflated prices.

The more I visit the less I’m impressed, and not just with the one in JC or Kingsport.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I didn’t see those signs and I drove by there today. With all the vacant retail space in the city, no need to really build more.
Ah, ok, good to know.

That would be a huge waste and hopefully the developers now can see that.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Not sure what the hype has ever been over Target. Their stores seem to be borderline dingy now and seem like a modern day version of a K-Mart or Sears. Poor customer service, cheaply made merchandise and over inflated prices.

The more I visit the less I’m impressed, and not just with the one in JC or Kingsport.
Target offers a bit of a branding and marketing directed towards higher-earning demographics, with Target engaging with the top designers, top marketers and top decorators to deliver lower cost and somewhat trendier goods (especially with home and decorative products).

The experience going there for many is a bit nicer than Walmart is, or K-Mart ever was.

Now the latest thing with Target is their development of "smaller urban stores." In some cases, about the size of a larger Walgreens. There are 5 or 6 here in Manhattan now, and expanding.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:33 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
When I worked for Target in Johnson City, the Kingsport location often beat our sales numbers. Bristol lagged far behind. That was 2007-2011, so things may have changed somewhat, but Kingsport Target was a relative powerhouse in that era.

JJ, I'm curious about your take on the urban Targets. We have a tiny one here in Seattle (U District) and I have never been able to find anything I need when I go there. It's just... a very odd selection. We also have a somewhat larger urban format (Ballard) that has a decent selection, and then a true large urban store (downtown) that carries most or all of the range of goods.

Maybe I need to start thinking of the small format as a Walgreens-lite, like you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol