Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 34,886 times

Advertisements

Hi- thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. A quick question, we are coming to visit 4 days (5/22 to 5/25) to look for a new home. We will have a 13 year old son with us. There are so many interesting choices for the area. Does anyone have suggestions for fun places to visit or eat at while were here? We would love to get the flavor of Johnson City and Kingsport.

Thanks,
Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 02:36 PM

176 posts, read 648,571 times
Your son is older than our kids; he's probably too old for the Hands On CHildren's Museum. The Fossil/Natural History Museum between JC and Kingport is worth visiting, though, as is Bays Mtn park by Kingsport (barge ride, small zoo, planetarium, etc). As for eating, most kids love pizza, and there's a CiCis in JC (pizza buffet: all you can eat with about 12-15 different pizzas to choose from;about $5.50 an adult and $3.99 per child I think). There's more to select from, but those were a few of the places our kids enjoyed on our visits to the tri-cities.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:36 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,784,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving TN View Post
Hi- thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. A quick question, we are coming to visit 4 days (5/22 to 5/25) to look for a new home. We will have a 13 year old son with us. There are so many interesting choices for the area. Does anyone have suggestions for fun places to visit or eat at while were here? We would love to get the flavor of Johnson City and Kingsport.

Thanks,
Kathy
Kathy, check out the suggestions for things to do in these threads:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=5227828

A few good non-chain restaurants y'all could try: Cootie Brown's (in both JC & Kingsport), 12 Bones Smokehouse (Kingsport), Crazy Tomato Pizza Pasta (JC & Colonial Heights), and Riverfront Seafood Co. (Kingsport). Stop by Discovery Ice Cream (Kingsport) for robot-made ice cream. And if you're in a hurry, pop into Pal's (local burger chain all over the Tri-Cities) for great sweet tea & quick victuals or go through Purple Cow's drive-through (Kingsport) for some of the best fast-food fare (especially burgers & shakes) you'll find anywhere.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:05 PM

11 posts, read 34,886 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I love the names - Cootie Brown's and 12 Bones Smokehouse. Will visit them both.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM

239 posts, read 696,718 times
Default Fun Expedition

If you want something indoors, Fun Expedition in Johnson City is very popular with all ages of kids. There are video games, laser tag, a climbing wall, putt putt golf, bowling with mini balls, a batting cage and go karts available. Have a great visit!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 PM

43 posts, read 142,237 times
Default things to do in east tennessee

well i know it is about 100 miles away, but pigeon forge/gatlinburg would be wonderful for a 13 year old! i went in february with my daugher (24) and there are tons of mini golf, go-cart, waterthemes, antique stores, funky attractions there in pigeon forge. i wish we had more time there! driving through there, its a mini tourist attraction with many unique and interesting things. just driving through was neat!

then, on to gatlinburg. beautiful smokies, the sky tram, shops, neat little places like ripples and haunted houses, arcades, candy stores, etc.

i thought that was the neatest place ive seen there yet. especially for a teen. they would love it! if you can spend a day somewhere, i would check it out.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:10 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,858,888 times
Catch a Johnson City Cardinals baseball game and pig out on some hotdogs, popcorn, and soda. Go up to Bays mountain State Park in Kingsport to the little natural zoo which is very nice. See the Fossil Museum in Gray. Spend an afternoon strolling around Olde Jonesborough and if you are there on Friday night stay for the free concert where they block off the streets in the town square.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:45 AM

16 posts, read 50,276 times
Take a tour of the Bristol Motor speedway. Very interesting even if you are not a racing fan. They will take you on a hot lap down the dragstrip, and for a couple of hot laps around the race track. You'll go into Victory lane, get to walk up the steep 36 degree banked corners, and get an exclusive tour of owner Bruton Smith's luxury box. Your son will love it! And best of all, the cost is only $5.00 per person.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:41 AM

176 posts, read 648,571 times
Hmn, I had heard of the Christmas lights display at Bristol Speedway, but that's the first I've heard of the tours. Where can I find more info (dates and times of the tour)? Thanks!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,382,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
Hmn, I had heard of the Christmas lights display at Bristol Speedway, but that's the first I've heard of the tours. Where can I find more info (dates and times of the tour)? Thanks!
Check out their website: Bristol Motor Speedway | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol