Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 05:38 PM

143 posts, read 220,467 times

Advertisements

To be honest, the biggest problem we've had since moving here is wasps. Amazing how fast the wasp spray is cleaned off the store shelves.

I had my fair share of chigger bites as a child in South Carolina. Yeah, they itched but I got over it. I just needed to stay away from blackberry bushes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 09:47 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Yes- you need to treat your pups with heartworm preventative. There are lots of mosquitos in the area, many moreso than in the PNW.

For me, there are lots more bugs in the south than in the PNW as well. You'll see a lot more spiders, mosquitos, gnats, and then also the occasional snake that pops up.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:13 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Alcohol-based hand sanitizer, applied as promptly as possibly after exposure, will prevent chiggers from digging in. Learned this by chance when picking unexpectedly encountered blackberries an hour or so away from home few years ago. All I had with me was hand sanitizer, which I've always kept in my car, even pre-pandemic, so I slathered it on my legs. I had nary a single chigger bite as a result!

I don't know if it works as a preventative, but evidently it blocked the invisible (or next to it) chiggers from burrowing under the skin, which is what causes the intense itching. Worth a try if you get exposed, and easy as well, since almost everyone keeps hand sanitizer around nowadays.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:00 PM

143 posts, read 220,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Alcohol-based hand sanitizer, applied as promptly as possibly after exposure, will prevent chiggers from digging in. Learned this by chance when picking unexpectedly encountered blackberries an hour or so away from home few years ago. All I had with me was hand sanitizer, which I've always kept in my car, even pre-pandemic, so I slathered it on my legs. I had nary a single chigger bite as a result!

I don't know if it works as a preventative, but evidently it blocked the invisible (or next to it) chiggers from burrowing under the skin, which is what causes the intense itching. Worth a try if you get exposed, and easy as well, since almost everyone keeps hand sanitizer around nowadays.
Good to know. We have a lot of blackberry bushes on our property and I might try to pick them this year.

I got bitten something fierce as a kid in the blackberry bushes but my aunt would make the best blackberry cobbler for us. It was worth the bites which go away eventually.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:43 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Default Getting close now-new Del Rio, TN resident

We're in the process of moving from the Sandpoint, ID area to Del Rio, TN. I've posted before asking a bunch of questions, and want to thank everyone for their help. Not sure if this should be in the Knox of JC forum, distances are similar, but it seems as if the area might be more tied to Knox. If an admin wants to move, please feel free.

Anyway, we came out in May, covered a bunch of the NE part of the state, looked at a number of places before settling for a place in Del Rio. The people we've met both in person and on FB pages have been great and really helpful, and offered a lot of insight on local issues. We loved the area, found a place within the National Forest-looks a lot like N. Idaho but with more broadleaf trees than conifers. We made the offer and it was accepted in early May, we closed in early July.

Anyway, things have been hectic. We sold our place about 3 weeks ago, on the day it listed-the N. ID market is insane! We've been packing, selling stuff, hauling load after load to the dump. We, OK I, have been realizing just how bad a pack-rat I've been...and frankly what a slob, particularly in my shop. A bit embarrassing, but that's another story. Anyway, we're getting close-my motorcycle was picked up last Friday. This Friday we pick up our moving van, load Friday and Saturday. Sunday, we round up our 8 cats, get them in a big carrier I built that fits the back of my SUV. And do a final cleaning, tweaking around the house and shop. Hit the road as early as we can stand Monday morning-with the 8 cats...and 4 dogs. It'll be an adventure. Because of the cats, we're going to push as hard as we can-hope to make it in 3 days and land on Wednesday. Have help lined up for unloading on Thursday.

Really getting excited! N. Idaho has been rough this summer. We hit 110 degrees back in June and have been hot and very dry ever since. Finally saw our first rain in months this week, maybe .1". Fires and smoke has been bad-but did clear out a little this week. Frankly, the fear of wildfires is an incentive for the move. We love Idaho...but frankly TN is calling. Can't wait to land, get settled and become part of the community.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:02 PM

11,115 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I've lived southwest of Knoxville for 8 years and have very few insect issues. I've never had a chigger, or known anyone personally here in TN that has gotten them. Ticks, yes, but they are everywhere in this country just about. No worse here than back in my old home of CA. If you go walking in the woods or doing a lot of yardwork, check yourself and get them off before they can attach. Make sure your dogs have tick prevention collars, squirt-ons, or whatever new tricks the vet has, and check them often after walks in un-mown areas or woods. I haven't had one, but hubby has had a couple in 8 years. Mosquitos are no worse here than anywhere else. In fact, I think our specific area has fewer. Mosquitos are very local, they breed in standing water, and rarely go further than 1/4 mile from where they hatched, so if you don't live near stagnant water, you shouldn't have a problem. If you ahve a problem, hunt down the source and eliminate the standing water. We've had a few ladybug invasions, and a few stinkbugs in our screen room, but nothing too bad. We just throw them outside, or vacuum them up. People who claim the bugs in east TN are bad have probably never been here. Just stay out of the long weeds and bushes if possible. Keep the critters on a leash away from home.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:18 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Well, we've been here in Del Rio since August, so I'll give my impressions to date on the bug situation. General situation-we love the area, it's really pretty, a lot like N. Idaho, but with more broadleaf trees. People have been great, and weather much better (though the humidity in August did wear on me, hopefully will be acclimated by next summer!).

Concerning bugs...pretty much a non-issue. Actually far less of an issue than N. ID, at least in terms of flying bugs, which really surprised me. I don't know that I've seen a mosquito since I've been here (and ID wasn't bad, but they were around). General flying bugs, not an issue-everywhere else I've lived, if you have lights on at night, bugs flock to them, to the point that sitting out on a deck meant a cloud around. Not here, wonderfully non-concerning. I will say that there are a good number of biting, itchy bugs of some sort-I got bit a lot early on when working around the property clearing brush. Lots of thick brush and tall grass/weeds until I got it cleared out. I got irritation around the back of my knees, waistband, ankles and belly. But frankly, it was a mild annoyance, not the nightmare I was lead to believe chiggers bring, and a quick wipe with vinegar took away the itch. I have had a couple very minor bouts with poison ivy, but nothing to be concerned about (I used to get it really bad as a kid back in Western NY).

The other good point-snakes. We're in rattler/copperhead country, and again, I've been working in the woods, and have dogs and cats. No issues, haven't seen any snakes since I've been here, let alone venomous ones. Relieved to see that!

The only mildly unpleasant part involved wild plants, especially vines. Seems like everything wants to poke, cut, stab or slice you. I look like I was in a knife fight after working clearing brush (and have developed a real dislike for saw brier). But still, once cleaned up, the woods are beautiful, and I'm happy to see how clear things are once you're in the woods and under canopy, rather than in a sun/shade transition.

Really looking forward to seeing spring and some new growth on the trees. But-REALLY loving 70* weather in December! And not plowing miserable white crap!

Old 12-27-2021, 06:27 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
What a nice update!

<sigh>. My entire bug and snake post somehow got lost

I will just say welcome to Tennessee! I hope your new life continues to meet and exceed your expectations

Old 12-29-2021, 09:48 AM

11,115 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Like I said, the people that tell you all these horrible warnings about bugs have never actually been here most likely. We were told all sorts of horrible stories, and fortunately, we'd been here to visit several times and were able to tell them that they were full of bull.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:51 AM

41 posts, read 50,125 times
Default chiggers ticks in Harrogate, TN

How bad is the chiggers ticks and cockroaches in Harrogate, TN Thank you guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville