U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM

41 posts, read 100,917 times

Advertisements

I've read so many posts by people wanting to retire to the tricity area. We are also considering it. We live in Louisiana now, love it something awful, but we are ready to get away from Gulf hurricanes. I've read some stats on flooding in JC, Kinsport and Elizabethton. Are those areas prone to flooding? I also notice in many of the pictures posted, that the sky often looks as though a thunderstorm in on its way. Can someone give me information about flooding and weather? I've been through a tornado and while I know they can happen anywhere, I'd prefer never going through one again. Thanks so much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,255,007 times
We have afternoon thunderstorms in the summer, but I can't think of an area in the US that would be less likely to experience a tornado, or a hurricane for that matter.

If you don't want a flood experience, just don't buy in a flood zone. 95% of the land area in the TriCities will never flood.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 PM

5,551 posts, read 9,195,656 times
As long as you don't live in a condo in west downtown JC, you should be fine.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 AM

20 posts, read 52,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
My Mosquito Ratings (10 being worst)

Michigan: 8

Florida: 11

Elizabethton: 3 - unless there is standing water on your property, you won't have any problems. I live up the road on Boone Lake - no mosquitoes. I have been absolutely destroyed by mosquitoes in FL and MI.
To be fair, the mosquito IS the state bird of Florida...

Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 AM

123 posts, read 202,637 times
So . . . what's the deal with the "bad air"?

Were coming out that way in a week or so . . .

Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,504,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
So . . . what's the deal with the "bad air"?.
It's not really an issue in Carter County, where the air quality's about the same as it is in Pima County, AZ. It's not as good, of course, as where you are in Cochise Co., but it's still better than the national average.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 AM

123 posts, read 202,637 times
But what causes it?

Smog from the city?
Agriculture stirring up dust?
Open mining?
The race track?
Is there a big coal fired power plant down wind?

Old 03-04-2011, 04:52 AM

27 posts, read 84,929 times
elizabethton is a great great place to live. i lived in JC for 6 years while i was in college and etown is soo close to my heart. when i retire, i definitely want to move back to this area. carter county is such a great place and its beautiful too.

unicoi county is beautiful as well and is closer to asheville. these locations are fantastic bc you are close to asheville and about 4 hours from myrtle beach too - straight down I-26. this is really one of the best places in the country to live. upper east tennessee is fantastic. period! you wont find a better place to call home, i promise you this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol