Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 07:05 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times

Advertisements

Johnson City has a new City Manager. Cathy Ball was endorsed and elected to be the new City Manager of Johnson City after her predecessor, Pete Peterson, took retirement after facing a scandal regarding threatening employees with their jobs if they didn't adhere to his wishes.

Ball brings a wealth of experience, including time working for an engineering firm in Johnson City before finally finding her way to Asheville as Assistant City Manager. I have not met her yet, but by all accounts she is very experienced and a very serious and sober person who will bring new leadership to JC,

And so ends the grasp by the "old boys" on the city manager jobs in the tri cities. JC had the afore mentioned Peterson, Kingsport has the very capable Chris McCart, Bristol Virginia has equally capable Randy Eads, while Bristol Tennessee is stuck with the cantankerous and regressive (according to just about anyone who has had to deal with him) Bill Sorah (former baseball umpire--that must have been something!. Of the four, Bristol Tennessee stands out as in the worst condition due to years of mismanagement. So much for "personalities" being able to help take a city forward.

Let's hope that Ms. Ball's arrival in JC helps to elevate the entire tri cities in creating a wonderfully diverse place for all to thrive. Early indications say that she will be extraordinary in her leadership.

Congrats !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 10:32 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Johnson City has generally been run pretty well over the years. Bristol, TN has some issues, but overall, the city is improving quickly. Kingsport's leadership have been the same "peas in a pod" for the better part of a generation now, and the city has gotten run into the ground.

I'm all for fresh leadership, but it needs to be a clear step above what is already here.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:36 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,189 times
Yes, just a note that Pete Peterson was also a fine leader for Johnson City. There were a couple of run-ins with the Fire Department and code officials, but overall he did a good job. I also expect Cathy Ball to do a good job, as she seems qualified for the job and she obviously was very impressive in the interview.

As a local criminal justice professor, the only fear that I have is that Asheville has not done well over the past couple of years in funding their law enforcement officers and more generally supporting their efforts. Morale among the Asheville police is very low, and something like 80 officers quit recently which has resulted in the department not being able to respond for all calls for service. I know three of these officers personally. To be fair, I don't directly blame Ms. Ball or anyone in Asheville's city leadership for these issues. Perhaps these issues has given her some good perspective.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:16 PM

33 posts, read 30,310 times
So after 1.5 years HOW have things gone?
I personally hate the Good Ol' Boys club because nothing every moves Forward with the times and usually much shadiness .

Old 03-13-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin19687 View Post
So after 1.5 years HOW have things gone?
I personally hate the Good Ol' Boys club because nothing every moves Forward with the times and usually much shadiness .
I'm not sure this was ever really a problem outside of local politicians.

The "hole in the wall gang" and similar groups have made a lot of bad decisions for the area. It's not the average business person that's the problem - it's the politicians who make no meaningful contributions to the area, and get elected for a generation.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:42 AM

195 posts, read 275,403 times
It isn't just Johnson City with this issue. Sullivan County has a similar and just as bad problem. For instance, the commission recently turned its back on moving forward with a regional effort to attract industry and promote the area. When you strip off all the "for quote" reasons it was about being mad at Ballad and getting back at Eastman because they won't be a part of efforts that are not regional. The present plan may need improvement, but the commission said not now, no way, neve.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page2 View Post
It isn't just Johnson City with this issue. Sullivan County has a similar and just as bad problem. For instance, the commission recently turned its back on moving forward with a regional effort to attract industry and promote the area. When you strip off all the "for quote" reasons it was about being mad at Ballad and getting back at Eastman because they won't be a part of efforts that are not regional. The present plan may need improvement, but the commission said not now, no way, neve.
I completely agree.

Ballad and Eastman have their faults, but the regional economic developments are worthwhile. It's the only way this area has a chance of being competitive with other metros throughout the southeast. Instead of compromising, Sullivan County took its ball and went home.

Johnson City is more competitive on its own, but regional leaders need to get onboard and cooperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol