U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,215,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
Here are some good links for Mountain City.....
This is obviously city-data, but it has all kinds of good info, and several pictures.(I've never been to CT, so I don't know if it looks alike or not...sorry.)
Mountain City, Tennessee (TN) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
This one has alot of data about snow, and past snowfalls.
Mountain City Weather Center
This is the local paper, always helpful for area info.
:: The Tomahawk - Welcome ::
This is geneal info, events, etc...
Home Page mountain city tn
Mountain City to Blowing Rock, NC is 32.3 miles and aprox. drive time is 50 minutes.
I think I remember reading on here somewhere, about the drive to and from Mountain City. I'll see if I can relocate it for you.
hey thanks . the real estate looks really expensive in blowing rock - why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,619,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Remember your comment from another thread that was something like "developers who price homes for the CA relocaters"?
Yep, that would be it.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:09 PM

20 posts, read 32,589 times
Default Sorry for taking so long to reply

Quote:
I heard its hard to drive around Mountain city -also doesn't it get lots of snow? We do get more snow than Johnson City, but it isn't anything like sugar mountain. The county does a good job of taking care of the roads. I only missed one day of work this year and that was a rare ICE storm. I beleve that was also the only snow day App State had this year.

thanks - looks like CT? is this true? Well I do not know about CT, but I know I met with some people recently about helping with a fall festival here in town. They were from Vermont and said that driving through Mountain City last year all they could think about was this reminded them of fall in Vermont. It really is a beautiful place.

how far is it to Blowing Rock from MC?
It takes me about 25 minutes to get to Boone. I would say Blowing Rock is another 15 minutes probably. It takes me about 35-40 minutes to get to Banner Elk and I can be at Sugar Mountain in 45 minutes.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:15 PM

4,951 posts, read 1,640,440 times
Quote:
All I can tell you is that they call themselves and upscale resort town. So I guess that has something to do with the prices. Here is a link for them...
Welcome to Blowing Rock, North Carolina, an upscale resort town featuring downtown shops, fine restaurants, attractions, recreation and more.

Sorry, I don't really know alot about the town. Hopefully that will help.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM

34 posts, read 90,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyjake View Post
We are trying to move to Eastern TN (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) to get away from the snow - 185 in. per year - and the high property taxes. Any information about the area would be appreciated.
My wife and I moved here from the Albany area a little over two years ago, for the same reasons plus the main reason: genuine American freedom still exists here to a great extent. NY State or the county or the town had regulations against everything, including cutting trees on our own property or filling the damp area at the back corner, or target shooting with an air rifle. We had really gotten sick of one government agency or another telling us, "no, you can't do that" or "you HAVE to do this or act like this...."

What wasn't regulated was taxed (whoops -- they don't raise taxes, they just add "fees.") When we moved, the town government was discussing adding a property tax surcharge for every tree on the property of residents. The county had just announced a 36% tax increase for the next year, although they had just raised the taxes 31% that year.

Outside Albany we had ONE acre with a 27 year old house. We moved here to 200+ acres, an eight year old house, large six-year old barn, and large steel workshop building. Property/school taxes on all that here? One SIXTH of what we paid on our NY single acre. And our tax here actually has gone DOWN slightly since we moved in.

Once and a while my wife would say something to the effect of "I wish we lived a little closer to ...." I would reply "well, we can always move back to NY." Emphatically she would say "NO! NEVER going back to NY!"

So, please, don't move to northeast Tennessee. You will probably like it so much you will bring other New Yorkers down <grin>.

-dan z-

Old 06-29-2008, 08:07 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,836,435 times
Just discovered this forum! Lots of interesting and useful info about moving here discussed. I wish it had been around when we moved to Mountain City many years ago (from the Carolina coast -originally from Connecticut - we're now in Limestone)!

Yes, extraordinary natural beauty abounds here as well as unbeatable real estate prices along with the ability to buy larger tracts of land that would be priced in the million dollar plus category in the northeast. (Even if we wanted to go back to CT, we could never afford to but that's okay)
Despite the obviously lower-paying jobs in NE TN there IS opportunity here but it's generally more available by owning your own business. People/strangers are also generally friendlier here than in the Northeast - which was something we noted almost immediately when moving to the south. The downside probably is that it's a little harder and takes longer to meet like-minded people - it can sometimes be a little cliquish, especially in the smaller communities. But I guess that's true whenever you move to a new place! I'm not aware of a newcomers group here but with all the new folks coming in that would probably be very welcome. There is one in Mountain City where we lived for over 15 years. To the folks thinking of moving to MC, it can be very isolated, particularly in the winter. One virtue is its proximity to Boone, a 1/2 hour drive if you live near town to 45 mins elsewhere. As to Blowing Rock, it's a 'desirable' and charming mountain village with a reputation and emphasis on art and culture. It's long been a summer destination for folks from the Carolina coast wanting to escape the summer heat. Lots of old and new money there!
Back to Mtn City - the schools are so-so (okay if you have an exceptional child) and have tended to hire teachers from the local population so kids don't get a lot of diversity. But if you love the outdoors, want to have land and lots of privacy - *and* be near beautiful Watauga Lake, it's a fine choice. Plus, they have two of the few remaining small town/non-corporate banks - very friendly people. (We still bank there)
All in all, we're more content now living in Limestone where we can easily access what either Greeneville, Jonesborough or JC have to offer. And we're still in the country!

Glad I found this site. It's a great info-sharing forum for both locals and newcomers.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 18,388 times
ok my first post and yours jumped out at me. I too moved from Upstate NY about 8 yrs ago. I really love it here but I MISS the snow.. I get jealous everytime my mom and them tell me about how much snow they got and stuff. We do get more snow days here though. Remember the big snow of 93?? I took a pic of my then 2 yr old in the middle of the path we made to get to the road. the snow was about 4 ft high.

Where in upstate NY

and no people upstate is not albany or watertown like some people think.. it is more like rochester,syracuse,corning areas

Old 07-01-2008, 06:46 PM

22 posts, read 34,493 times
we live in the adirondacks in little town called boonville in UPSTATE new york about an hour from watertown

Old 07-01-2008, 07:16 PM

13 posts, read 18,388 times
we call that northern ny.. funny how is it differnet in differnet areas huh.. welcome though

Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,463 times
i moved here east tn in February from upstate ny was the best decision i made as of now beautiful land fun to explore lots of water to enjoy lake wise just like upstate Catskill MT area for me minus the tons of snow nice people close to Virgina, north Carolina perfect spot not to busy not to far to shop taxes are cheap atm take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol