Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM

9 posts, read 14,565 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input. I also have seen some amazing results with massage, and other holistic therapies and products. I even have healthy chocolate...mmmmmm!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 12,533 times
Why is it when someone coming from a liberal (large minded) belief point of view feel the need to slander someone bu saying small minded. The area you are asking about was built by the so called "small minded" and uneducated. This is where I grew up and my small minded father worked every day to help me get a good education. The fine people of Tennessee with their narrow views provided public schools which are the envy of many liberal cities.
Yes, the majority of the people here in East Tennessee and Christian and have "narrow, ignorant conservative views. They have built and area which is very attractive to others who want this type of life. Please try to attempt to open your mind to this so called ignorant point of view. It is what you are attracted to. If it were not, you would simply stay in your beautiful liberal city.
The results are in. If you want to live in a liberal place, you can. The great social experiments have come to fruition, and by needing to relocate to a better place for your children and to have a better quality of life maybe, just maybe, a change in belief could be in order.
How can the area which was built by small minded people be anything a large minded person would want. I know. It is like this. I am educated so that allows me to tell you that your are not living correct. I know a better way.
No Thanks, I am an educated, backward thinking Tennessean. I believe in God and Country and can still cipher with the best of them thanks to my ignorant father and the backwards thinking people of Tennessee.
There is no better place to live if you believe in hard work, family and looking our for your neighbor. It is not a good place if you thing the government should look out for your neighbor.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 12,533 times
Why is the opinion of of not wanting mixed marriages any different than that of agreeing with them? Who decides what is the correct way to marry? If I believe in either, what does this have to do with what society has to say.
If Jews only marry Jews, that is their right and is not my right to infringe my belief upon theirs. This is oppression.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 PM

25,404 posts, read 9,685,448 times
Why are some people so proud of ignorance and close mindedness? What is so good about that? There is no reason why a place can't be progressive and open minded and still have good character (open mindedness, character, and values, "ARE NOT" mutually opposed to each other as some conservatives would declare). The area that I currently live in Fl is as conservative as you can get - and as over developed and corrupt also governmentally!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,241,772 times
A better question is why can't we respect others opinions? Everyone is entitled to them. Our differences are what make us special, lets just appreciate that for what it is ok?

trobesmom, I believe you missed TN Ed's point. To me he was saying he was accused of being ignorant and closed minded just because of where he comes from...you know, stereo typing. What he was saying is that it is not true, because if he and others from this area were so uneducated and closed minded, why would everyone be wanting to move to the area they built? I agree with him, sure he could have worded it a bit better, nicer, but still. If I too am seen as ignorant and close minded because of where I live than I too will laugh at those who think it and be proud anyway.

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-04-2009 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 PM

166 posts, read 508,721 times
The post was pretty hard to ready correctly, but I think Ed was defending close-mindedness.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM

7,503 posts, read 17,113,817 times
Actually, I think ed just wanted to slam on the big city and on liberals. Ed, liberals aren't just created in the big cities. I've lived in east TN my whole life and am probably more liberal than 75% of New York City residents. People whose beliefs tend to be labeled "liberal" also tend to live in cities, yes. And the bigger the city, the more difficult it is to manage stuff like schools and budgets. There are many underlying and/or hidden factors to urban problems and saying "schools are bad in big cities because of the damn liberals" is a HUGE misinterpretation. There are many large cities with excellent school systems. There are many rural areas/smaller-cities with horrible school systems. Rigid rules of thumb like "NETN has great schools because we're not a big city" are ludicrous.

Obviously people who say "people living in east TN are backwards and closed-minded" have completely missed the boat. But you are helping their point along when you make such small-minded (yes, I said it) commentary. You mentioned God. You do realize that a great many progressives and liberals are also Christians or otherwise religious, right?

Liberal/conservative terminology is meaningless thanks to the newsmedia and idiots like Rush Limbaugh. The words are too polluted and convey too much meaning to be useful in everyday conversation. However, I will say urge you to reconsider some of what you said. Being progressive is a GOOD thing. Progressive cities offer many services to their residents - well-planned infrastructure, concert halls, excellent higher education, revitalized downtowns, a good network of medical care, density large enough to support public transport (even if it subsidized...). And most importantly, progressive cities put together incentive packages to get businesses and manufacturing to relocate to their cities. Non-progressive cities do not. Why would anyone want to shut their city out of opportunities like that?

Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 AM

295 posts, read 746,736 times
Wow! stumbled on to this thread out of shear boredom. This thread has spiraled down into total bulls--t.

If you think there are more progressive parts of the country to live in then please, by all means, move there. I've spent 45 years of my life up there in 'enlightenment land'. Please, move there and take my place. You can f--kin' have it!!! You may love it. Might be just the kind of Big Brother control you've been looking for. I got to where I hate it so bad it's all I can do to go home on holidays and visit my family. The very thought of my former great state and what it's become makes me want to spit! I won't, but I could write multiple paragraphs about each and every one of our individual freedoms that have been systematically legislated away, one by one, in just the four decades of my life there and what I can't stand about the very land I was spawned from, the beautiful countryside that I love to look on, where over 7 generations of my forefathers rest in the soil. It has changed so much in the last century in it's so very politically correct way, in it's so let's not do anything that might upset any special interest group, let's trample individual's constitutional rights to do what they want on their land, that they bought and paid for, and that they have paid taxes on for decades, that in my way of thinking it resembles nothing of what America is supposed to be and I could no longer suffer to live there. It is a total government take over.
Please, if you're sick of this area...move up there. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
I won't bore you further. Those who get it, will get it. I invite them to join me and move here to one of the few states where you still have many personal freedoms. Where you can own some land without having to apply for a permit for every little thing you want to do on your property without some zoning hearing and all your neighbor's approvals, etc. so on. You can pile up some leaves and burn them if you want to, you can build a garden shed without having to pay off local officials to do so or wait two years until all the board meetings and hearings have concluded before "your neighbors" have all decided that it's 'okay' with them if you do what you want on your own land, you can't shoot off some bottle rockets on the 4th of July, etc. so on. The rest of you can move on to where the government provides all your needs and wants and tells you exactly what you can or can not do. And when you get there and get settled and pay all the closing costs and taxes on your little dinky house and your auto registration fees etc. and look at your first paycheck and all the deductions from it and see what little you net, you can feel good knowing that all that money went to the state house to pay for all the wonderful programs they have under way that help everyone but...you.
Move there, get dazzled by the bright lights, get on the hamster wheel and after 5 to 10 years of that...get back to me with your thoughts on how great it all is.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 07-07-2009 at 02:51 AM..

Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,597,765 times
I think Ed strikes an interesting point that many times those from liberal side of the isle are tolerant of anything except the southern conservative. Red neck, close minded, small minded, ignorant, stupid... There is still a large contingent of the US that thinks most of the rural south is straight out of Deliverance.

Progressives should practice what they preach and respect the southern culture. It's a great way of life that if slowly dieing out.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM

7,503 posts, read 17,113,817 times
^ That may be true, but in my experience it's the southern conservative and religiously brainwashed that're more judgmental of liberal/progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol