U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
Default Culinary Kenundrum

I've been browsing the forums for a little while now, looking at all of the meat market / deli / farmer's market posts I can get my hands on.

I already live in the area, and have been desperately searching for supplies for my cooking.

Specifically I've been looking for a good meat market. Where I can get the typicals (steaks, pork rib cuts, etc.) as well as the exotics (Fresh Ahi Tuna Steaks) Thats where the problem is, I cannot find anywhere that has a Sushi Grade Seafood Selection. I hate using the frozen stuff.

We're not THAT far from the coast, why can't I find anything?

Kroger's in the area is good for most of the ingredients I need, plus the local latino population tends to keep me stocked with good authentic supplies (Like quesadilla cheese that is actually white!!!)

Any other Chefs out there that have found some places with good selections?

I don't get very far from Johnson City too often, which more than likely rules out Bristol and Kingsport. Especially with the gas prices.

-EteanSunrise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 AM

7,285 posts, read 13,600,395 times
Hamilton Meats on old Gray Station Road in Boone's Creek has GREAT meat. As far as seafood, the only place I can think of is Riverfront in Kingsport on Netherland Inn Rd. It is a restaurant but has a seafood sales room too. However that is in Kingsport and you said you don't go there, so don't know if that helps you any.

Last edited by mbmouse; 06-10-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 08:02 AM

5,351 posts, read 8,614,121 times
As for your question about why you can't find anything, I'd say because the demand isn't there. We're still a city slowly gentrifying... not a whole lot of people looking for fresh ahi tuna steaks, unfortunately!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 AM

2,654 posts, read 3,624,412 times
I have enjoyed fresh seafood most of my life living close to the cost. I recently moved to Kingsport and hoped to find a good source of fresh fish. I have been to any store that I could find that advertises seafood. Big disappointment! I have yet to see a fresh piece of flounder down here. I stopped at the Riverfront on three occasions and each time I found high prices and old fish. One time the founder fillet looked like it was filleted with a meat clever. I suspect that the Riverfront may be selling fresh fish to their restaurant customers and selling the fish that hasn't been used as fresh fish. Regardless, after seeing the fish for sale I will not eat there. I tired another place in Bristol and found the same situation.
I have found that I can order any seafood online however the shipping costs are out of this world. i.e, one dozen cooked crabs from LA, $41, shipping $98. Fresh fish from NJ,$58 and the shipping cost $51.
There looks like there is a demand for truly fresh fish in the Tri City area but I have yet to find any suitable supplier. Maybe the solution is a seafood co-op of sorts.
Don

Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM

14,334 posts, read 14,724,479 times
Kroger on Mountcastle Rd Carries Ahi Tuna and even lobster if you ask; while it isn'tI don't like frozen either, and had the same issue when we first moved here. IMO Kroger is becoming more diversified, they have an excellent Thai, Indian and Kosher section, they even have Dungeness Crab.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,624,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hamilton Meats on old Gray Station Road in Boone's Creek has GREAT meat. As far as seafood, the only place I can think of is Riverfront in Kingsport on Netherland Inn Rd. It is a restaurant but has a seafood sales room too. However that is in Kingsport and you said you don't go there, so don't know if that helps you any.
Thank you for the lead on Hamilton Meats. I only bought a small sampling, filet , ribeye, cube steak, and hamburger, and I found the beef to be absolutely outstanding. IMO, Hamilton Meats is the best beef I have had in ages. I will be a permanent customer in the future.

Seafood is another matter. Big disappointment! I have yet to find a fresh piece of flounder in TN, not Riverfront, Green's, or even the Shirmp Dock in Knoxville. The Shrimp Dock shows a beautiful piece of fresh flounder on their website but when I visited their store the flounder was milky white and dried out. They may get fresh fish daily but they are not selling it daily. That was a 200 mile waste of time.

The good news is, if you enjoy good beef, give Hamilton Meats a try.
Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol