U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 AM

426 posts, read 844,438 times

Advertisements

Good Lord, WWJDMom--my eyes are rolling so far back in my head right now that I can barely type.

Maybe we need to get back on topic and not try to totally scare everyone away from the Tri-Cities with a bunch of uber-religious--anti just about everything--still trying to live in the 1800s rants.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 13,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMist View Post
I probably shouldn't say this, but...I find the previous post as offensive as that poster says that just about everything and everybody is to them. For the record, I am none of what that poster ranted about: I am straight, Christian (and married to a Christian), married 39 years next March, have two children, am VERY old fashioned and tend to stick to "oldies" and country music - but am open to new ideas and sounds. Until several episodes of "So You Think You Can Dance" I dismissed hiphop dancing and music as not worth a watch or listen. I was wrong, and some of it is pretty cool.

I will pray that the Lord opens that poster's heart and mind to the reality of loving all His children - no matter what and no matter what situation. After all, isn't that what He does?

Back to board lurking and TN house hunting...
Well, I am sorry that you find my post offensive, but you are under scoring my point. Shows like the one you are referring to are clearly part of the liberal Hollywood agenda to normalize and promote leud and suggestive behavior. Making hip-hop music an accepted part of our main stream is just another step the liberals are taking us towards the eternal fire. I hope this liberalism is not what they are preaching in your church? It is definitely not what they are preaching here. When white kids are dressing and acting like they live in the "hood" there is something very disturbing and dangerous about that. Our American way of life is under attack, you must choose to defend it, or you are just another part of the problem. The Lord loves all of His children. That is of course true. But some people have strayed just too far off His path, and they can no longer be considered one of His children. They can return to the fold, but they must turn their lives around to do so. And we will welcome them home.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 AM

426 posts, read 844,438 times
Lock it moderator.

Please spare us.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
Good Lord, WWJDMom--my eyes are rolling so far back in my head right now that I can barely type.

Maybe we need to get back on topic and not try to totally scare everyone away from the Tri-Cities with a bunch of uber-religious--anti just about everything--still trying to live in the 1800s rants.
You're funny.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM

5,567 posts, read 9,348,370 times
I agree with everyone else... sort of bizarre and absurd. WWJD, if you want to discuss the political or religious aspects of this country, there are specific forums for that.

Signed,
The Gay Liberal Atheist

Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,966,373 times
Diversity and freedom of expression in the Tri-Cities is alive and well...

I think this debate could actually become a worthy and informative one.. Being able to express and share one's views openly is certainly one of the hallmarks of this great country. Unfortunately, what's happened over the last 15 years is the total loss of respect for another person's views - and the tendancy to disparage or insult one's 'opponents'. This often reveals itself in the form of veiled racism and the questioning of one's morality; i.e., because a person is a Liberal, therefore he or she is Godless and has no values. What a shame... I think it Jesus were alive today, he would be a liberal. These so-called 'liberals' are the folks who genuinely care about the fate and lives of other's around the world, not just in their own religious communities; these are generally the folks who don't believe that waging wars is the way to a 'just peace'. Jesus was clearly a peacekeeper who *communicated* with his adversaries and blessed them when they did him wrong (pure diplomacy at its best).

I think there's also a lot of fear being generated right now that's being stoked by the politicians for their own benefit; fear of Muslims, fear of black people; fear of Hispanics, fear of the Godless Europeans (especially the French -remember the condemnation of french fries?) - When what we *should* fear is loss of the unity of our Republic and our true American values, which center around *freedom*. Freedom of religion, freedom of expression and a free democractic society; these concepts are what made this nation great and led other nations to follow our example.
As a kid and young adult, I don't ever remember my parents or other folks judging someone because of their political or religious views.
So, what's changed in the last several decades?
(I have my suspicions)

Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Well, I think what has changed is that the political class in this country (no matter party affiliation) has figured out that extorting FEAR leads to votes like nothing else ever could/did. It wasn't a coincidence that all those gay marriage amendment propositions appeared on the same ballot as George Bush's reelection...

We've pretty much lost all sense of respect, period. I work in retail and see some of the most atrocious behavior, but even worse than that is the people that just plain won't look at you or otherwise acknowledge your presence. How can you be 1-2 feet from another human being and not say hi, or at least nod and smile?

The combination of these two forces, I think, has yielded the results that we're seeing today. As far as liberal v. conservative (which, as far as I'm concerned, is a false dichotomy of the worst sort) goes, I think that very few people are happy with the American lifestyle, outlook, politics and foreign policy/international standing - but we have widely different ideas about how to fix it. This is a classic American situation, going all the way back to the Revolutionary War with the revolutionaries and the "traitorous English supporters."

Quote:
Well, at least you are open about being on Satan's side and you don't seem to be pushing a hidden agenda
No, I don't have a hidden agenda. I couldn't figure out to sign up for the gay one, either.

The funny thing is, WWJD, if you met me on the street, you (personally) would probably think that I was involved in youth outreach at some church somewhere. I just come across as that type of person. I am constantly and forever having to "come out of the closet" to people - coworkers, new friends - because no one has any idea that I'm gay. I generally don't tell people that I'm an atheist (religious doesn't get discussed much in JC it seems), but I'm sure that that stereotype doesn't hold true either. So my point, in a rather roundabout way, is that the concretely fixed notions of godless liberals, faggy queens etc. etc. are just so false. We're all people, and we're all just as complex as the next. Humanity is constituted by shades of gray, and hardly ever (can't say never, shades of gray and all ) black and white.

Last edited by jabogitlu; 07-15-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: err, the Revolutionary War, not the Civil War. ;)

Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 AM

107 posts, read 166,950 times
Please do not disparage jabogitlu or anyone else with your condescending comment of "being on Satan's side". IMO you've crossed a line with that remark. I've read a lot of jabogitlu's post and they're consistently helpful, cheerful and informative. For you to make such a causal statement of personal condemnation is mind boggling.

Since posts like yours are the rare exception and not the rule, I'm wondering if you're a troll. That is one of two possible explanations.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMist View Post
Please do not disparage jabogitlu or anyone else with your condescending comment of "being on Satan's side". I've read a lot of jabogitlu's post and they're consistently helpful, cheerful and informative.
Seriously, it's no biggie. We're just being honest with each other, she and I. But I appreciate the support.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Diversity and freedom of expression in the Tri-Cities is alive and well...

I think this debate could actually become a worthy and informative one.. Being able to express and share one's views openly is certainly one of the hallmarks of this great country. Unfortunately, what's happened over the last 15 years is the total loss of respect for another person's views - and the tendancy to disparage or insult one's 'opponents'. This often reveals itself in the form of veiled racism and the questioning of one's morality; i.e., because a person is a Liberal, therefore he or she is Godless and has no values. What a shame... I think it Jesus were alive today, he would be a liberal. These so-called 'liberals' are the folks who genuinely care about the fate and lives of other's around the world, not just in their own religious communities; these are generally the folks who don't believe that waging wars is the way to a 'just peace'. Jesus was clearly a peacekeeper who *communicated* with his adversaries and blessed them when they did him wrong (pure diplomacy at its best).

I think there's also a lot of fear being generated right now that's being stoked by the politicians for their own benefit; fear of Muslims, fear of black people; fear of Hispanics, fear of the Godless Europeans (especially the French -remember the condemnation of french fries?) - When what we *should* fear is loss of the unity of our Republic and our true American values, which center around *freedom*. Freedom of religion, freedom of expression and a free democractic society; these concepts are what made this nation great and led other nations to follow our example.
As a kid and young adult, I don't ever remember my parents or other folks judging someone because of their political or religious views.
(I have my suspicions)
Spoken like a true liberal. Our Judeo Christian principles is what this country was founded on. Our founding fathers were all deeply Christian. One nation UNDER GOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol