Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmum View Post
What drew you to the tri-cities area? Job offer? Schools? I'm just curious what brings people to the area.
Very similar thread that you might enjoy reading: How did you discover the Tri-Cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 AM

35 posts, read 97,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Very similar thread that you might enjoy reading: How did you discover the Tri-Cities?

haha.. thanks. exactly what i was looking for. lol

Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 PM

6 posts, read 5,616 times
Default What made you pick your city?

This mostly is meant for those that chose Bristol,JC and Kingsport. What made you choose it. I have received a relocation guide for Kingsport but not Bristol or JC....so hard to really compare from a tourists point of view what made you choose the town you chose?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofNC View Post
This mostly is meant for those that chose Bristol,JC and Kingsport. What made you choose it. I have received a relocation guide for Kingsport but not Bristol or JC....so hard to really compare from a tourists point of view what made you choose the town you chose?
We've done this thread before. Let me see if I can locate it. Lots of great responses on it.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
We've done this thread before. Let me see if I can locate it. Lots of great responses on it.
I merged them. Hopefully other folks will add theirs too!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM

I was hoping to find the differences in the cities...I LOVE the magazine Kingsport sent me and wanted to see if JC offered something similar...have been through them both 1 or 2 times but never got a good chance to know each town...

Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
I'm leaning toward moving to JC this spring.

Escaping NC income taxes is one important reason, but I've always wanted to live somewhere with more relief to the terrain. I've been in Charlotte for over a decade and am ready to try something new. I live pretty simply, and don't need many "big city amenities". It gets exasperating to see how freely the Charlotte city council spreads incentives around, and I don't want to make any more investments here and tie myself further to their schenanigans.

JC is big enough to step out of small-town-ness. It has organic food stores, a mall, many of the national chains. I don't think it'd be a huge adjustment.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I'm leaning toward moving to JC this spring.

Escaping NC income taxes is one important reason, but I've always wanted to live somewhere with more relief to the terrain. I've been in Charlotte for over a decade and am ready to try something new. I live pretty simply, and don't need many "big city amenities". It gets exasperating to see how freely the Charlotte city council spreads incentives around, and I don't want to make any more investments here and tie myself further to their schenanigans.

JC is big enough to step out of small-town-ness. It has organic food stores, a mall, many of the national chains. I don't think it'd be a huge adjustment.
Same reason here. Its very expensive to live in NC. Taxes,Regulations,stupid fines,the price of car registration is outrageous. I can't wait to move to Tn. We are leaning towards Kingsport but will be able to visit both cities soon and decide better...

Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Why choose the Tri-Cities over better areas of TN? Virtually every area of TN has a better job market than the TRI and has more in the way of dining, shopping, etc, and most areas have quick access to the country. A person could live in Wilson or Smith County TN outside of Nashville or areas outside of Knoxville and Chattanooga and still have access to the better incomes, healthier job market, and amenities of the larger city, while still being in a small town and not having to face the hustle and bustle.

The Tri-Cities just doesn't offer much for a metro of its size and there are far better places to live in TN.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
Well in my case, I have family in NC so I'm making some effort to stay within easy reach for them. I can work from home, so no major job concerns. I may need to come back to the main office once a month or so for team meetings - but even if I end up getting a motel room several times a year, that's cheaper than NC income taxes are.

As for shopping, I bought most of my clothes and furniture at Thrift stores, outlet/overstock type places or CraigsList anyhow. Yeah Charlotte has more entertainment venues, but I'm not a pub crawler and in reality most days I just come home and get on the internet. Really don't give a hoot about professional sports and what the uptown teams are doing.

I guess it just comes down to priorities. Many of the people who stop by this section of city-data are looking for safer schools for their children, or land to put animals on, etc.

I have given Knoxville some thought, but it's a bit far to return and visit family easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol